Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about how to rate pax and thinking that to keep it fair it should be a standard system. Here's some ideas.

1. Pax does not put in destination, they don't care that you would like it, and they're not appreciative of the ride, -1 star
  2. Pax does not accurately put in pickup location, no deduction if they're close and you can work it out.
  3. Pax does not accurately put in pickup location by a significant amount and they aren't willing to help set it straight, -1 star
  4. Pax thinks you are unhappy with what you have on the radio and wants you to change it to what they like, -1 star
  5. Pax changes the radio without asking, -2 stars
  6. Pax adjusts controls in your vehicle, -3 stars
  7. Pax expects water, snack, or anything else for free, -2 stars
  8. Pax causes a 2 minute wait after arrival, -1 star
  9. Pax causes a 3-5 minute wait and does not appreciate your wait, -2 stars
  10. Pax causes a 5+ minute wait, does not offer to compensate you for wait, -3 stars

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good. How about no tip -2 stars?
There should be something there no gratuity for providing extra service but if people don't tip in a non-tipping business then it's hard to deduct.

But with regard to the wait times, if the pax tipped as a thank you for waiting then they're good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was thinking about how to rate pax and thinking that to keep it fair it should be a standard system. Here's some ideas.

1. Pax does not put in destination, they don't care that you would like it, and they're not appreciative of the ride, -1 star
  2. Pax does not accurately put in pickup location, no deduction if they're close and you can work it out.
  3. Pax does not accurately put in pickup location by a significant amount and they aren't willing to help set it straight, -1 star
  4. Pax thinks you are unhappy with what you have on the radio and wants you to change it to what they like, -1 star
  5. Pax changes the radio without asking, -2 stars
  6. Pax adjusts controls in your vehicle, -3 stars
  7. Pax expects water, snack, or anything else for free, -2 stars
  8. Pax causes a 2 minute wait after arrival, -1 star
  9. Pax causes a 3-5 minute wait and does not appreciate your wait, -2 stars
  10. Pax causes a 5+ minute wait, does not offer to compensate you for wait, -3 stars
I really like this idea a lot. The problem with it is that most passengers are aware of the rider rating system, and since our rating screen appears right after a trip ends, the rider doesn't have to wait long to see how we rate them. And many of them do wait, wondering aloud "did I forget anything? I'm good, okay, have a nice day." That's what they're doing there, waiting to see how we rate them. So, it's a follow at your own peril kind of situation, because if you openly rate riders poorly or fumble around with the phone and deliberately wait to rate, the rider will either know or heavily suspect that we are dinging them for something. (Personally, I enjoy it when riders have things in the trunk so I can help them with, and rate poorly once back in the car). In addition, without riders knowing that there is such a list, it's not something that they can effectively react to.

I know I keep going back to it, but this is one of those good ideas that can't be implemented effectively without a guild or some organization with teeth to protect drivers against being fired for a low rating. If there was a guild or union or something, we can create a list like this, distribute it to all drivers and have Uber distribute it to all passengers, and protect drivers who follow it and receive retaliatory low ratings. Without that cooperative protection mechanism that a guild would provide, there is no individual driver incentive to implement this great idea.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Sounds good. How about no tip -2 stars?
As I always ask elsewhere...is even one lousy dollar as a tip worthy of five stars, assuming the person was fine and reasonable in all other ways? If they make two stops for errands but tip only $1... that's still five stars?

As I tell my taxi pax at times, an Uber driver would appreciate even a $1 tip on a $20 fare, right?

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
As I always ask elsewhere...is even one lousy dollar as a tip worthy of five stars, assuming the person was fine and reasonable in all other ways? If they make two stops for errands but tip only $1... that's still five stars?

As I tell my taxi pax at times, an Uber driver would appreciate even a $1 tip on a $20 fare, right?

Just curious.
I've been deducting 1 star for no tips. I think I'll change that to -2.

Most of my fares are under $12. So a $1 tip could be acceptable. You have me now thinking, -1 star for a $1 tip on a fare over $12.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think, at this stage, formalizing an organization is a bit into the future. We would need to get some things working on a smaller scale first. Like a standard pax rating system. If it could be formalized and published then people will find it and it could be released to the press.

Last night I had a pickup on Bromfield St. They were slow coming out, then I had to wait for another person who was paying the bill. I'm thinking of how many stars to subtract. Turns out I got to like them as we chatted. They were new to Boston and really enjoyed driving by Fenway. I gave them 5 stars.

But that's a good idea of -1 star for no tip.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really like this idea a lot. The problem with it is that most passengers are aware of the rider rating system, and since our rating screen appears right after a trip ends, the rider doesn't have to wait long to see how we rate them. And many of them do wait, wondering aloud "did I forget anything? I'm good, okay, have a nice day." That's what they're doing there, waiting to see how we rate them. So, it's a follow at your own peril kind of situation, because if you openly rate riders poorly or fumble around with the phone and deliberately wait to rate, the rider will either know or heavily suspect that we are dinging them for something. (Personally, I enjoy it when riders have things in the trunk so I can help them with, and rate poorly once back in the car). In addition, without riders knowing that there is such a list, it's not something that they can effectively react to.

I know I keep going back to it, but this is one of those good ideas that can't be implemented effectively without a guild or some organization with teeth to protect drivers against being fired for a low rating. If there was a guild or union or something, we can create a list like this, distribute it to all drivers and have Uber distribute it to all passengers, and protect drivers who follow it and receive retaliatory low ratings. Without that cooperative protection mechanism that a guild would provide, there is no individual driver incentive to implement this great idea.
I was told by a pax that they cannot see their own pax rating but can see our driver rating just like we can see theirs. Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked my pax app and no I cannot see my rating. I've also been asked by friends to check their rating. But I can't see it unless it's a pickup.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was told by a pax that they cannot see their own pax rating but can see our driver rating just like we can see theirs. Can anyone verify this?
Riders can see their rating. In the passenger App Help tab, under Account and Payment, Account Settings and Ratings, I'd like to know my rating.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think, at this stage, formalizing an organization is a bit into the future. We would need to get some things working on a smaller scale first. Like a standard pax rating system. If it could be formalized and published then people will find it and it could be released to the press.

Last night I had a pickup on Bromfield St. They were slow coming out, then I had to wait for another person who was paying the bill. I'm thinking of how many stars to subtract. Turns out I got to like them as we chatted. They were new to Boston and really enjoyed driving by Fenway. I gave them 5 stars.

But that's a good idea of -1 star for no tip.
The issue is the inability to enforce the system without a formal organization, and the lack of driver incentive to follow the standard rating system given the risk of rider retaliation. If left to the press, many riders and drivers won't know about it. The information needs to be distributed centrally by the formal driver organization or Uber to drivers, and by Uber to riders to ensure everyone's on the same page. That's my take.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's as good of an action outline as I think one could come up with. Once started you'd learn a lot and be able to adjust. Or fail.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
The issue is the inability to enforce the system without a formal organization, and the lack of driver incentive to follow the standard rating system given the risk of rider retaliation. If left to the press, many riders and drivers won't know about it. The information needs to be distributed centrally by the formal driver organization or Uber to drivers, and by Uber to riders to ensure everyone's on the same page. That's my take.
Just more talk, but no action. That's the way it will always be.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just more talk, but no action. That's the way it will always be.
It doesn't have to be that way. I'm willing to do work to further the cause but I can't do it alone. There has to be enough of us serious about seeing change, willing to work at that change, and willing to continue driving for it to be a successful operation. Maybe they've kept us happy enough, and kept the turnover high enough to thwart the urge/ability to act. If enough have reached a tipping point, I'm ready to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts