Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I confirmed Uber's doing something shady. I know that's not news, but this particular case was. I thought it happened once before, but this time I got concrete proof.

Got a 1.5X Surge Pool (spare me the hate, it's slow) going to upper Rockville/lower Gaithersburg and did the 'No New Requests' button. Once I got off 270, I turned app back on, hoping to get an additional rider to extend the Surge. We get to about half a mile from dropoff and I got this request:

Map Font World Screenshot Technology

Even though it wasn't technically an additional rider in that Pool chain, it still showed at 1.5X Surge, so I accepted it. Once I dropped off my current rider, I checked to confirm the Surge and saw this:

Product Black Communication Device Gesture Font

No surge. Base rate even though the request showed 1.5X.

I could've picked him up, taken him to his destination then spent most of my Christmas Eve either calling the Philippines or emailing Rohit and the gang trying to make this right. Or I could've shuffled his ass. What do you think I did? You got it...

Hand Jaw Sleeve Gesture Finger

He was collateral damage from Uber's attempt to fornicate me.

Be sure on a stacked ping, if it says it's a Surge when you accept that it actually IS a Surge after you dropped off your current ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
This evening I confirmed Uber's doing something shady. I know that's not news, but this particular case was. I thought it happened once before, but this time I got concrete proof.

Got a 1.5X Surge Pool (spare me the hate, it's slow) going to upper Rockville/lower Gaithersburg and did the 'No New Requests' button. Once I got off 270, I turned app back on, hoping to get an additional rider to extend the Surge. We get to about half a mile from dropoff and I got this request:

View attachment 188065

Even though it wasn't technically an additional rider in that Pool chain, it still showed at 1.5X Surge, so I accepted it. Once I dropped off my current rider, I checked to confirm the Surge and saw this:

View attachment 188067

I could've picked him up, taken him to his destination then spent most of my Christmas Eve either calling the Philippines or emailing Rohit and the gang trying to make this right. Or I could've shuffled his ass. What do you think I did? You got it...

View attachment 188068

Be sure on a stacked ping, if it says it's a Surge when you accept that it actually IS a Surge after you dropped off your current ride.
I agree with your solution. When Dara screws you then you make them pay out the ass with shuffling

·
Banned
2,193 Posts

View attachment 188065

View attachment 188067

View attachment 188068

Uber is gradually turning to get on the same level of being shady as Lyft...

On lyft, you will get a 3 min away ping that makes the driver accept the ping, but turns out to be 12 min away...
At least Uber sends to a request to accept while you are on another trip while Lyft adds another rider automatically to your queue while you are on a trip...
At least Uber will show you the surge multiplayer after accepting the trip while Lyft doesn't show the Primetime amount until after you complete the trip...so, the driver doesn't know the "automatically added" rider is a PT or base rate, which Lyft forces you to drive....

But...I believe what you experienced was a bug....like you know how sometimes the request ping doesn't say the Boost amount when a ping from Boost zone comes, but the Boost amount actually shows when you check to see if it's there after accepting....

...Lyft however is shady as hell

·
Banned
1,622 Posts

View attachment 188065

View attachment 188067

View attachment 188068

That's not the right way run the business. Cheating business partners or employees.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
OMG!!! the same exact thing happened to me yesterday!!! I didn't know what to think. So when the first pool is dropped off before second pool gets in the surge doesn't count????? I picked the second pool anyway because I need all rides asap to make quest

·
Premium Member
24,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG!!! the same exact thing happened to me yesterday!!! I didn't know what to think. So when the first pool is dropped off before second pool gets in the surge doesn't count????? I picked the second pool anyway because I need all rides asap to make quest
It counts as a new ride with new surge, or lack thereof.

Screenshot the request with the Surge showing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hope everyone is opening the passenger app and checking too see if Uber has surge pricing in effect before they pickup the stacked pings?
If I get a stacked ping I try and pull over before I get there, open the passenger app and check the pricing. If it shows surge prices are in effect and the stacked ping isn’t, sorry bout your luck but it’s shuffle time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Was in a 1.4x surge in dc this morning at 3 30 am. Uber x a block away. I took it and then looked and it didn’t apply the surge. Was a 17 dollar ride to lanham. I’m now arguing with support via messages. They said there wasn’t surge when I accepted. Don’t think they are going to adjust it.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Define
Was in a 1.4x surge in dc this morning at 3 30 am. Uber x a block away. I took it and then looked and it didn't apply the surge. Was a 17 dollar ride to lanham. I'm now arguing with support via messages. They said there wasn't surge when I accepted. Don't think they are going to adjust it.
"in the surge" because it only counts if it shows on the ping. The driver app lags behind the actual surge.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Define

"in the surge" because it only counts if it shows on the ping. The driver app lags behind the actual surge.
It showed the surge on the ping and he is claiming it didn't. He also just said that the heat map only shows where you should locate and that the surge on the map doesn't mean you will receive a surge even if it's in a heat zone. Lol wat.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
It showed the surge on the ping and he is claiming it didn't. He also just said that the heat map only shows where you should locate and that the surge on the map doesn't mean you will receive a surge even if it's in a heat zone. Lol wat.
This is a known uber scam. After accepting the ping Hit the equal sign in the upper right hand corner and verify the surge multiplier.

Uber really should provide its IC drivers with a proper ping filter so the drivers can set the price of what they are willing to work for. Example you set the filter to only send you 1.7x pings or higher. For some reason Uber seems to think that they set the prices but that is not how subs work. Subs bid the price. If uber thinks the subs price is too much they always have the option of self performing the work themselves.

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
This is a known uber scam. After accepting the ping Hit the equal sign in the upper right hand corner and verify the surge multiplier.

Uber really should provide its IC drivers with a proper ping filter so the drivers can set the price of what they are willing to work for. Example you set the filter to only send you 1.7x pings or higher. For some reason Uber seems to think that they set the prices but that is not how subs work. Subs bid the price. If uber thinks the subs price is too much they always have the option of performing the work themselves.
Another example of employee treatment

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
The Uber scam shows surge on the ping request but not when you hit the equal sign. It is false advertising. FTC should be all over this. In this example Uber says to the driver at the very beginning take this ride for $17 but they really only intends on paying the driver $10. After the driver completes the work and then tries to get paid properly, unless the driver took a screen shot of the ping, Uber will not pay them properly as they said they would at the very beginning.

I run the Uber app with a tablet which is hanging on my dash. For me to try and take a screenshot of every ping is not practical. With a phone I can do it with one hand but not with a tablet. I shouldn't have to anyhow.

The multiplier (surge/boost) value should be stored as SINGLE variable stored in the Uber database. So when Uber sends a ping to a driver it should display the value of that SINGLE multiplier variable. Then when the driver hits the equal sign it should display that very same SINGLE multiplier variable. Uber is using TWO different multiplier variables to intentionally steal from its drivers.

I have trained myself to hit the equal sign for each surge/boost ride. The problem is when there is no multiplier shown and now what. Completing the ride is definitely not going to happen so I have to either cancel or make them cancel. Either way hurts my completion rate.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Heat map DOES NOT mean you get surge. Ping should. But you do also have to check after accepting. Sometimes it disappears. No pool where I am, but it's happened to me on x also. Now I screenshot every trip when it comes in if I'm accepting it. I'm usually parked though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts