Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The City Council delayed taking a vote Monday night on a proposed ordinance to regulate ride sharing companies such as Uber and Lyft, saying the delay will allow councilors to consult with the Law Department and Uber representatives, as requested.

The council was considering ordinance amendments, that if approved, would require all owners, operators and drivers of the ride share companies, known as transportation network companies, to obtain written approval of the Springfield Traffic and Livery Commission to operate in Springfield.

The proposed ordinance also calls on the transportation network companies' owners and operators to abide by the Taxi and Livery Commission's rules and regulations."

I'm wondering how this will affect us drivers. Will we be required to get a taxi medallion if we want to drive in (or have to drive through to destination) Springfield?

Looking at the fees that Springfield charges for each taxi driver (medallion & license for 2 years) is $350. This probably isn't including the application fees, fingerprinting fees or photo fees. Not to mention us running around getting all the appropriate documentation Springfield wants. Plus if we want to transfer from one vehicle to another (1st vehicle being taken out of use for whatever reason) there's a $50 transfer fee.

I'm wondering if this is similar to what happened in Austin, TX.

· Registered
6 Posts
"The City Council delayed taking a vote Monday night on a proposed ordinance to regulate ride sharing companies such as Uber and Lyft, saying the delay will allow councilors to consult with the Law Department and Uber representatives, as requested.

The council was considering ordinance amendments, that if approved, would require all owners, operators and drivers of the ride share companies, known as transportation network companies, to obtain written approval of the Springfield Traffic and Livery Commission to operate in Springfield.

The proposed ordinance also calls on the transportation network companies' owners and operators to abide by the Taxi and Livery Commission's rules and regulations."

I'm wondering how this will affect us drivers. Will we be required to get a taxi medallion if we want to drive in (or have to drive through to destination) Springfield?

Looking at the fees that Springfield charges for each taxi driver (medallion & license for 2 years) is $350. This probably isn't including the application fees, fingerprinting fees or photo fees. Not to mention us running around getting all the appropriate documentation Springfield wants. Plus if we want to transfer from one vehicle to another (1st vehicle being taken out of use for whatever reason) there's a $50 transfer fee.

I'm wondering if this is similar to what happened in Austin, TX.
i did not read that and I usually read the Republican. i will look for it. How about all you WMASS drivers? where are you? not sure if you go down to Bradley but those dudes down there are positively chummy with each other. Unless you have MASS plates that is.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quoted that mostly from a write up on masslive dot com.

I'm usually in one of the towns outside of Springfield. Occasionally will I be in Springfield while signed into Uber. I haven't been to Bradley yet as a driver. Only time I've gone there is to either drop off or pick up a relative (no uber involvement). I wonder if any park over in that 'viewing area' that's on Rainbow Rd/Rte 20 side (close to where the Air Guard is). I used to work at Bradley, mostly fueled the private/corporate jets 20 years ago, way before Uber was thought of.

· Registered
6 Posts
Council delayed the vote, asking for more information and after hearing from an Uber representative who wanted to submit information. Springfield city government, in my opinion, is a little bit confused as to handle itself on many issues. Not surprising they are bumbling on this one. Not sure just how powerful the Taxi and Limo service union is, but again, in Springfield, who knows?

I have done several pick ups and drop offs at Bradley. It really seems to be a catch all since there are so many drivers down there. For me it does not seem worth the gas to go down there (I live in Hampshire County) unless I catch a passenger who needs to go there. Once there, unless I am lucky, it is a waiting game. You can check out the CT. forum but they seem a bit tight lipped about the best spots. Some say the Cell Phone Lot (which I have never tried), Mcdonald's (which i have tried with no luck), driving around the airport in circles (which I have done with some luck, but wasting gas) or the parking lot of Bobby V's restaurant (the former Bradley Teletheater. I have had the most luck there). If proximity and geography are indeed the only determining factor for getting a rider, then Bobby V's seems to be the best place. However, who knows when a rider is using the APP to hail a ride? Some do while still on the plane before it reaches the terminal, some wait until in baggage claim or at the arrivals queue. So who really knows who will get a ride especially if they

· Registered
952 Posts
I've picked up many rides at bradley. almost all the time i get a ping I'm at or very near the terminal. almost always the rides go toward hartford. i can only recall one time did i pick up someone who need to go to WMass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.