Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you utilizing either of the above mentioned to keep track of surges on both apps? I'm thinking two phones may be the best method? Thoughts please. Thank you!

·
5,880 Posts
I use my phone for ride requests and my tablet to watch the Uber Driver app for surges. Of course i only do this on airport runs as my primary area never surges any more.

If I see a decent airport sure I will turn requests back on as I always turn them off when going to the airport. I found recently I can set destination while on a current trip so I will play around with that if i see a decent surge. Try to grab a surge ride back toward home would be nice.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my phone for ride requests and my tablet to watch the Uber Driver app for surges. Of course i only do this on airport runs as my primary area never surges any more.

If I see a decent airport sure I will turn requests back on as I always turn them off when going to the airport. I found recently I can set destination while on a current trip so I will play around with that if i see a decent surge. Try to grab a surge ride back toward home would be nice.
So you tether your tablet to your phone? If so, the Uber allows that without raising any flags?

·
5,880 Posts
So you tether your tablet to your phone? If so, the Uber allows that without raising any flags?
Before I had a tablet with out Cellular yes I tethered them. Now I have a tablet with Cellular so I run it independent. You can only hit the go button on one device with Uber. The other device if you hit go it tells you another device is active. You can still see the surge zones, check waybills, or check earnings on the second device.

Lyft, when I last used it a year ago would automatically put both device live, it drove me nuts so I really could not do it with Lyft. I have not done Lyft in over a year so not sure if it is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I had a tablet with out Cellular yes I tethered them. Now I have a tablet with Cellular so I run it independent. You can only hit the go button on one device with Uber. The other device if you hit go it tells you another device is active. You can still see the surge zones, check waybills, or check earnings on the second device.

Lyft, when I last used it a year ago would automatically put both device live, it drove me nuts so I really could not do it with Lyft. I have not done Lyft in over a year so not sure if it is the same.
I'm thinking it's worth the cost of two cell phone lines, one for each app. I believe I can take better advantage of surge pricing when active this way. Your thoughts?

·
5,880 Posts
I'm thinking it's worth the cost of two cell phone lines, one for each app. I believe I can take better advantage of surge pricing when active this way. Your thoughts?
I agree, I think two devices are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1947 Cisitalia 202
2,441 Posts
In my previous car, I had an aftermarket Android head unit (essentially an Android tablet combined with a car stereo) that I would run with the Uber and Lyft apps side by side in split screen. I used my phone's hotspot for internet connectivity. The head unit's UI was a little clunky, and neither of the apps were optimized for display on half of a larger, but lower resolution screen, but the setup worked reasonably well most of the time. I was still getting used to it when the car unfortunately got totalled.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Are any of you utilizing either of the above mentioned to keep track of surges on both apps? I'm thinking two phones may be the best method? Thoughts please. Thank you!
Having two phones is always the better option. You can get a line on Tello (a T-Mobile MVNO) for about $10 per month, that should give you enough data to keep your driver app connected.

I used two phones for awhile, and found it to be very helpful when multi-apping Lyft and Uber rides. I even double-dipped on occasion, having two rides on both platforms at the same time. It really cut down on my dead miles. Of course, I also had a spike in my cancellation rate when the pick/up/delivery/pick-up alignment didn't work out.

·
5,880 Posts
My opinion is having two phones is better, even better is having two different carriers.

• Using 1 device for Uber and Lyft was not complicated for me, however I felt like it was putting a lot of strain on the bandwidth available. I would often notice the Network Activity indicator
    spinning away for long periods of time. I questioned if this could cause me not to get reduced ride requests if the mothership was having issues quickly communicating with my phone. Really no way of knowing. When I switched to two devices the Network Activity indictor on each phone barely seemed to come on any more. Again no way of knowing if it speed up possible requests.

• Having separate carriers comes into play when one carrier is having net work issues. Me being in a some what rural area this often happens. Three times now in the nearly 3 years I have been doing rideshare the At&t Data network has gone down. 1 time a wildfire burnt through the fiber optic cable, 8 hours of no cell data with only At&t. 1 time a company trenching cut the fiber optic lines, 5 hours of no cellular data with only At&t. 1 time their was a piece of equipment failure at one of the towers, 9 hours o no cell data with only At&t. All 3 times Verizon was unaffected. I know of one time the Verizon cell data network was down for almost 11 hours, At&t was fine. If one carrier is down you can run both apps on the one device that is working.

Again these are my opinions and I am not a technology expert.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having two phones is always the better option. You can get a line on Tello (a T-Mobile MVNO) for about $10 per month, that should give you enough data to keep your driver app connected.

I used two phones for awhile, and found it to be very helpful when multi-apping Lyft and Uber rides. I even double-dipped on occasion, having two rides on both platforms at the same time. It really cut down on my dead miles. Of course, I also had a spike in my cancellation rate when the pick/up/delivery/pick-up alignment didn't work out.
Very helpful insight. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My opinion is having two phones is better, even better is having two different carriers.

• Using 1 device for Uber and Lyft was not complicated for me, however I felt like it was putting a lot of strain on the bandwidth available. I would often notice the Network Activity indicator View attachment 594187 spinning away for long periods of time. I questioned if this could cause me not to get reduced ride requests if the mothership was having issues quickly communicating with my phone. Really no way of knowing. When I switched to two devices the Network Activity indictor on each phone barely seemed to come on any more. Again no way of knowing if it speed up possible requests.

• Having separate carriers comes into play when one carrier is having net work issues. Me being in a some what rural area this often happens. Three times now in the nearly 3 years I have been doing rideshare the At&t Data network has gone down. 1 time a wildfire burnt through the fiber optic cable, 8 hours of no cell data with only At&t. 1 time a company trenching cut the fiber optic lines, 5 hours of no cellular data with only At&t. 1 time their was a piece of equipment failure at one of the towers, 9 hours o no cell data with only At&t. All 3 times Verizon was unaffected. I know of one time the Verizon cell data network was down for almost 11 hours, At&t was fine. If one carrier is down you can run both apps on the one device that is working.

Again these are my opinions and I am not a technology expert.
Excellent points you make. Pretty sure I'm gonna' go with two lines. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
  • Having separate carriers comes into play when one carrier is having net work issues. Me being in a some what rural area this often happens. Three times now in the nearly 3 years I have been doing rideshare the At&t Data network has gone down.
That's actually smart having two different network carriers. It has saved me more than once.

I'm a prepaid phone aficionado. At one time, I had four different prepaid lines active, one with each network: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Since Sprint merged with TMob, I now have three active lines.

The AT&T and Verizon lines are through Tracfone, which is dirt cheap. My T-Mobile line is through Tello, which is even cheaper. Back when I had four active lines, my total monthly bill was $35. It was less than $10 per line, though none of the lines had unlimited data.

If you know how to play the prepaid game, you can easily carry two lines for under $30 per month total.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts