Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was down driving towards Luna Park and there was a lady walking past a parked car. (It wasn't raining but it had been). As I drove past her maybe I was too close to the left because I hit a deep pool of water and completely soaked her from head to toe. It wasn't clean water either; this was a thick wave of filthy brown street water. As I drove off I saw her in the rear vision mirror covered in muck with twigs and debris in her hair. She just stood there in disbelief with arms up in the air like a scarecrow.

It looked like she was on her way to a luncheon or something special. Hopefully I didn't ruin her day too much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Assault with a deadly weapon. ;)

Under the law, any unwanted physical contact is assault, including spitting. Unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature is indecent assault. Unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature with a minor under your care is aggravated indecent assault.

If you get convicted, the judge will probably sentence you to an ice bucket challenge.

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
In New South Wales, it's an offence to splash bus passengers with mud after driving through a puddle but not anyone else!

Quote from article (see http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/3694994/new-nsw-road-rules-to-come-into-force-march-1/):

1. You must not splash bus passengers with mud: One of the strangest road rules to come out of NSW is the one that states you must not splash a bus passenger with mud after driving through a puddle. Yet if you splash any other pedestrian it is perfectly legal. The fine for breaking this offence is $165.

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
Here is the text of the New South Wales road rule making it an offence to spray mud on bus passengers (but no-one else) after driving through a puddle (see http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rr2014104/s291.3.html):

ROAD RULES 2014 - REG 291-3
NSW rule: splashing mud on bus passengers

291-3 NSW rule: splashing mud on bus passengers

A driver must take due care, by slowing down or stopping the driver's vehicle if necessary, not to splash mud on:

(a) any person in or on a bus, or(b) any person entering or leaving any stationary bus, or (c) any person waiting at any bus stop,if the bus concerned is being used to provide a public passenger service or the bus stop concerned is a stop relating to buses used for that purpose.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note 1 :

"Bus"

"driver's vehicle" and

"public passenger service" are defined in the Dictionary.

Note 2 :
This rule is an additional NSW road rule. There is no corresponding rule in the Australian Road Rules .

(Additional comment by Jack Malarkey.

As stated above, the maximum penalty is 20 penalty units. A penalty unit in New South Wales is currently $110 so the penalty in this case would be up to $2,200. See http://nswcourts.com.au/articles/what-is-a-penalty-unit-is-the-current-system-unfair/).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yesterday I was down driving towards Luna Park and there was a lady walking past a parked car. (It wasn't raining but it had been). As I drove past her maybe I was too close to the left because I hit a deep pool of water and completely soaked her from head to toe. It wasn't clean water either; this was a thick wave of filthy brown street water. As I drove off I saw her in the rear vision mirror covered in muck with twigs and debris in her hair. She just stood there in disbelief with arms up in the air like a scarecrow.

It looked like she was on her way to a luncheon or something special. Hopefully I didn't ruin her day too much.
Such a gentleman mate

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Had 3 young americans complaining about being splashed...
Unfortunate things happen when you don't pay attention, and sometimes it's just bad luck. In general, as a driver, all I can suggest is to take care, not a lot else you can do.
PS, and don't be an #[email protected]# and do this on purpose, road rule or not.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It can also happen to us. Break in the rain put your window down whist driving and the amount of surface water on the road. Luckily it hasn't happened to me but have been hit by surface spray from oncoming vehicle and total blindness worse than the actual downpour. No wonder some people freak out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts