Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been getting a lot of pax forcing a conversation. Like I would give one worded responses, and they would still try to tell me about how their cat died or how their teenage daughter is having twins....

Most of the time, I just dont feel like conversating. I definitely do not feel like explaining my life story over and over and over again to a pax I 99% wont see again.

So.. I've decided that everytime someone would ask me:

*You do Uber/Lyft full time?
*You from here?
*What's your day job?

I have said "Sorry, Me English No Good".

Chastise me all you want, but I'm not sorry for feeling this way. I just want to get pax from point A to point B. I dont want to repeat the same story 30 times a day lol... I've read that some drivers put "I am deaf" in their driver profile, anyone else tried this lol?

-Jerry

·
Banned
10,021 Posts
@chitownXdriver puts he's deaf ?. Have any tips?

I'm a weirdo I love small talk. I hate super long conversation unless I know them very well or we have an instant strong connection. I start getting bored. My attention span cant hang.

I love elevator talk, then breakroom talk and even washing hands in the restroom talk. ??

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Lately, I've been getting a lot of pax forcing a conversation. Like I would give one worded responses, and they would still try to tell me about how their cat died or how their teenage daughter is having twins....

Most of the time, I just dont feel like conversating. I definitely do not feel like explaining my life story over and over and over again to a pax I 99% wont see again.

*You from here?
*What's your day job?

Chastise me all you want, but I'm not sorry for feeling this way. I just want to get pax from point A to point B. I dont want to repeat the same story 30 times a day lol... I've read that some drivers put "I am deaf" in their driver profile, anyone else tried this lol?

-Jerry
I picked up an Asian guy whose name appeared as just a Chinese symbol. I felt like saying "hello pound sign", but I just drove him to his location and was done with it.
I'll drive anybody, anywhere, anytime. I never discriminate and could could care less about language barriers.
I drive people around safely from point A to point B, it's what I do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm usually up for good chat and friendly pax. But every now and then the Cuban coffee has me jacked & irritable.

So when I start thinking the pax are misfits, this is what I do :

Hello, my name is Scooby, I'm going to let you relax and take you safely to your destination. If you need adjustment to the air or music let me know. ( I usually have the music on Pandora's "Bar Lounge Radio or Buddha Lounge" )

Most appreciate the relaxing silence & soft tunes. And my back seat is incredibly clean including the mats & floor.

So. Florida is very friendly, and most days I am amazingly lifted up with great pax conversations. (I need to make business cards)...

Dog Cartoon Jaw Gesture Interaction

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
*You do Uber/Lyft full time? *You from here? *What's your day job?
You may want to use that strategy sparingly, too many riders will one-star the no-speakies.

·
Registered
195 Posts

*You from here?
*What's your day job?

-Jerry
Oddly enough I've had grown ass adults get upset & downrate me because i don't want to be bombarded with same 5 uber/lyft, & intrusive personal questions. I'm not here to be best friends, give you a run down of the city, or tell you what website i buy my intimates on. Yet if you ask them questions like that I'm "unprofessional"??. Double edged sword. Leave me alone dammit!

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
You may want to use that strategy sparingly, too many riders will one-star the no-speakies.
Agreed✔
U can't Freeze ? Out Uber's paying customers
They'll complain you're not of "sound mind"
and/or racist

forewarned is forearmed:
each and every passenger
Is Khosrowshahi's (Cause-row-shaw-hee's ) ?️‍♂ ?️‍♀ Spy
Ready to Rat ? U Out for a free Kit Kat ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most pax would rather tell you their story. Just listen. And every once in a while say "Oh wow! That's great!" or "Oh I'm so sorry to hear that!"

That's fine and general conversation is fine but some have a habit of asking too many personal questions. How much do you make etc. types of questions. I try to avoid answering them as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I'm very outgoing with an ebullient personality. BS'ing with pax is the only thing that makes this gig bearable. If pax aren't chatty, cool. My ear buds are in, un-pause my podcast, separate worlds.

I will say this, tips are much more frequent when conversation flows freely.

·
Premium Member
70,531 Posts
@chitownXdriver puts he's deaf ?. Have any tips?

I'm a weirdo I love small talk. I hate super long conversation unless I know them very well or we have an instant strong connection. I start getting bored. My attention span cant hang.

I love elevator talk, then breakroom talk and even washing hands in the restroom talk. ??
I
IN WHICH ORDER ?

Oddly enough I've had grown ass adults get upset & downrate me because i don't want to be bombarded with same 5 uber/lyft, & intrusive personal questions. I'm not here to be best friends, give you a run down of the city, or tell you what website i buy my intimates on. Yet if you ask them questions like that I'm "unprofessional"??. Double edged sword. Leave me alone dammit!
PUT " THE DR. IS IN " ON YOUR TIP BUCKET !

( both Lucy & Uber understand the value of You establishing " Goals", then Rendering you UNABLE TO REACH THEM !)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
More times than not the ones who want to talk are the tippers and the ones who rates their drivers the most......

So if you like tips and good ratings you should be more friendly. There will be plenty of trips where your passengers will ignore you and leave you alone.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
I'm a weirdo I love small talk.
I don't think that makes you a weirdo. I think it means you're normal.

Most people enjoy exchanging pleasantries. If I'm standing in an elevator, I think it's perfectly normal to talk about the weather. Or even about sports. ("The Astros are in the World Series!")

If people don't like chit chat where you're living, come on out to Texas, honey. We'll take good care of you. I moved here from Los Angeles and have never regretted it.

Don't worry about the ********. Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the country.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.