Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Los Angeles World Airports updated their site recently ( Here ) to get ready for the new permitting process at LAX for TNC's (once the City Council Approves). One thing of interest in their check list was this:

16. Business Tax Registration [Art. 2, Sec 13]
□ Provide evidence of notification to drivers of requirement to obtain and hold a City of
Los Angeles BTRC.
□ Provide evidence and demonstrate maintenance of all certificates as required.

Yup seems they want every driver to obtain what is basically a business licence for the City of LA. If I remember correctly that is about $150.00 a year minimum. You would owe tax to them as well if you actually made any profit in your business . $150 a year x 4000 drivers = Nice little Half a mill for the city of LA out of the deal every year. Cant beat that!

More info here on the BTRC: http://finance.lacity.org/content/BusinessTaxInformationFAQ.htm

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Yup seems they want every driver to obtain what is basically a business licence for the City of LA. If I remember correctly that is about $150.00 a year minimum. You would owe tax to them as well if you actually made any profit in your business . $150 a year x 4000 drivers = Nice little Half a mill for the city of LA out of the deal every year. Cant beat that!
"Businesses, including vendors, owing tax are issued a Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC). In some cases where businesses are not required to pay a business tax, a Vendor Registration Number (VRN) is issued. Non-profit organizations may apply for an exempt tax registration certificate. In order to be paid under contract with the City, a BTRC or VRN must be provided to the Controller's Office".

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
Los Angeles World Airports updated their site recently ( Here ) to get ready for the new permitting process at LAX for TNC's (once the City Council Approves). One thing of interest in their check list was this:

16. Business Tax Registration [Art. 2, Sec 13]
□ Provide evidence of notification to drivers of requirement to obtain and hold a City of
Los Angeles BTRC.
□ Provide evidence and demonstrate maintenance of all certificates as required.

More info here on the BTRC: http://finance.lacity.org/content/BusinessTaxInformationFAQ.htm
The same is true in whole City of Long Beach not just at airport.

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
The same is true in whole City of Long Beach not just at airport.
Let me add, I'm not sure if the CPUC having jursidiction over TNCs has changed this requirement.

When we had our tow service we were regulated by the PUC originally and the by CHP but we were still required to get a business license to operate in Long Beach.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But über is not transportation Co,what kind of license are they suppose to get?
It's not about Uber, it is about you. You are your own business in the eyes of LA. And you are doing business in the City of LA. So that means you owe some TAX. Uber will to as they are another business operating in LA.

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
But über is not transportation Co,what kind of license are they suppose to get?
Good question, but they don't want Uber to get the license, they want the DRIVER (independent contractor, so separate biz) to get the license.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me add, I'm not sure if the CPUC having jursidiction over TNCs has changed this requirement.

When we had our tow service we were regulated by the PUC originally and the by CHP but we were still required to get a business license to operate in Long Beach.
The PUC having jurisdiction just means cities cannot add any more regulations that the PUC has in place.

So the PUC requires waybills for each trip. A city can have a law that says you must show that waybill to their officials. They could not have a law for example that requires all cars have mudflaps because the PUC does not require that.

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
They had several categories of businesses, each with a different price, they will probably just add a TNC category to list.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had several categories of businesses, each with a different price, they will probably just add a TNC category to list.
They do not care that much about it, they will just put it under transportation or general services. Gotta have a strong lobby to get your own category with a reduced rate)

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
They do not care that much about it, they will just put it under transportation or general services. Gotta have a strong lobby to get your own category with a reduced rate)
Probably, be interesting to see if LA council comes back with this requirement for whole city and not just airport.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
It's not about Uber, it is about you. You are your own business in the eyes of LA. And you are doing business in the City of LA. So that means you owe some TAX. Uber will to as they are another business operating in LA.
So, in eyes of LA what am I doing now? How come they don't require business license now?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any little regulation barrier to control the flood gate helps everyone. Btw, the staging area looks like the entire neighborhood from Sepulveda all the way to the rental car companies.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably, be interesting to see if LA council comes back with this requirement for whole city and not just airport.
It should actually apply to the entire city.
So, in eyes of LA what am I doing now? How come they don't require business license now?
Well because at the airport is the best place to enforce it. They have done it to Limos for years. If you do not want to be airport legal you will never heard from the city of LA as long as you have your business outside the city limits. But if you want to pick up at LAX they require a City Licience. They know LAX is the linch pin for transportation companies so that is where they can get the most effective participation with the least amount of effort. After all they are not going to set up tax collectors on Wilshire and see who will pull over for them so they can check to see if they have a licence. They do however do that for building contractors, they will show up at job sites and start taking names, plates and see who is working in the city without paying taxes on the income derived.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty sure that anybody that receives income with out withholding and gets a 1099 at the end of the year and lives in Los Angeles County is required to file for a Los Angeles County business license. It has nothing to do with the type of work you do, you are an independent contractor or self employed.

Here's the list: http://ttc.lacounty.gov/Proptax/Business_License_List.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,306 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty sure that anybody that receives income with out withholding and gets a 1099 at the end of the year and lives in Los Angeles County is required to file for a Los Angeles County business license. It has nothing to do with the type of work you do, you are an independent contractor or self employed.

Here's the list: http://ttc.lacounty.gov/Proptax/Business_License_List.htm
Amazing what new things you can learn about on the forum. I didn't know there was such a thing as taxi dancers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_dancer

LA wants a cut of everything.
Long Beach has a list very similar to this one.

They will either add TNC driver category or lump drivers together with taxicabs.

It doesn't matter if you live in LA, I'm pretty sure that as long as you do business in LA they are going to want money.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is actually true, its not dependent on where you live. Any city where you do business can subject you to business license fees. They can issue a lien if not paid.

Now, the question is how will they find out other than a sting op? Ive always thought Uber could be subpeona'ed for driver records by insurance companies to **** us - LAWA wouldnt have to go that far, just make it a requirement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Taxi cab drivers don't need a business license. Why would tnc divers need one.

I think this is similar to the insurance requirements and uber will take care of it for us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts