Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add my 2012 Suburban LT on to my account and give XL a try. I drove Saturday evening in the Burb. X to XL ride ratio was 2 to 1. The last ride of the night was downtown at a bar, last call with 3.4 surge showing on the map. I accepted the ride, went and picked them up, (after the pin dropping 6 blocks away) and drove these two guys home. I decided to call it a night since I was already half way home and the surge in downtown was already gone. When I got home, I looked at my earnings. This ride came in as a Select ride, something I didn't know I was eligible for. It wasn't at a surge price however. I wasn't complaining, because it was still a $54 payout.. But I was confused.. Apparently, my Burb is eligible for select because it's an LT and has leather seats. Hmm.. Didn't know. $3 per mile.. Sweet.. But the X surge pricing would have been slightly more than what I was paid. In reading here on the forum, it appears that there are savvy riders who know that they can get a rider faster, and cheaper when X is surging by going Select.. So I'll be contacting our local team to set up two separate profiles that are X/XL and Select/XL only. Is it too much to ask to get an XL only profile as well? I'd rather take an XL surge than an X surge, but if I'm on X/XL, I'll most likely get an X ping before an XL can come through.. Right?

Sunday, I swear I must have been the only Select car on the road.. I had 9/1/6 X/XL/S ratio. With more than 50% of my payout coming from those 6 Select rides, making Sunday, my highest grossing night in the two weeks I've been driving. It beat Saturday night by a full $100.. But none of those Select rides were requested during surges.. They were just average joes, making a request.. But they way that they talked, it was like they were expecting whatever car showed up. They weren't looking for a nicer car as far as I could tell. The way Uber describes Select on their website, they call it the "classic Uber".. Is it possible that this many people have an old version of the app that is only making requests to Select? I just thought it odd that this guy going home from his job bussing tables wanted to ride in a nicer car..

My wife is also driving, and she drove the Burb Friday night, only had 1 XL ride, and no Select rides.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Some time Uber rider app will default to a certain type of ride. Riders not paying attention and think that's the only thing available. When it defaults to Pool is when it sucks big time.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
You likely have an error on your account. A suburban will not qualify for select in any market. Select cars cannot have a 3rd row, and most definitely a chevy would not qualify as a select. Ride the wave while it lasts! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You likely have an error on your account. A suburban will not qualify for select in any market. Select cars cannot have a 3rd row, and most definitely a chevy would not qualify as a select. Ride the wave while it lasts! :)
That's what I initially thought.. But look here.. http://saltlakecity.ubermovement.com/uberselect/ At the bottom of the Accepted Vehicles, "All UberSUV vehicles listed here are eligible as well". I'm not eligible for SUV because the Burb is silver, but apparently I am eligible for select.. I don't think it's a mistake, because it's the same on my wife's account. Definitely going to ride it while it lasts.. When the next model year comes out, I'll get bumped.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
oh wow.. you are right, they are allowing suburbans on select in SLC. That is absolutely a gold mine for you. Is the one your wife drives the same year? And the color should not matter for select, but for SUV they will only take black. I'd have your wife email uber and ask them to make a select only profile, and a "all profile". That is a sly way of seeing what they say about getting her on select as well. Awesome for you. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife drives the same Burb.. We just swap between that and our 2014 Cruze on UberX.. It's already listed as Select on her account as well. I had her sign in with the Burb last night then went in to the rider app and chose select and she showed up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My car isn't on the Select list but I fought for 3 mos & got it added. Well worth it! I use my 2nd car for XL. If you're driving multiple platforms you'll do well at this game. Driving only X is a losing proposition.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
You must be messing with him

If TCPd and black, Suburbans are THE most popular suv/black double dipper...and all black can opt down to SELECT, all SUV down to XL and Select botj

·
Registered
550 Posts
All SUV vehicles qualify for Select in every market (I think). Most here have Black/SUV accounts. If I were you I would setup your accounts as three seperate, (S/XL), (S), & (XL). Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking that I would ask for three profiles.. (X/S/XL) (S/XL) and (XL) if S and XL are really slow, I want the option to take X rides. I don't see the point in running S only..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point, though I don't think I've ever seen Select surging.. If they'll do 4 profiles, I'll do it.. They are having open office hours today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So.. Been trying to get separate profiles set up for a week now. Went to local office hours at a hotel last week. Guy said yeah sure we can set that up.. Created separate profile on my wife's account and set it to select only. Says that he cant separate x and xl. Ok.. He then Logged in to my account and did the same. Wife logs in to the app, now has a second entry for the burb. I log in to mine no separate entry. He says to give it a while. This weekend, wife logs in to select only profile, gets 90% uberx calls. Have sent several emails in. They keeps saying, ok we've fixed it. Log off and back on, still getting X calls. Today I decide to drive the burb. Still no separate profile to log in to. Send an email off to support about it and start driving. At least I was getting plenty of 1.5 surge trips today. Heard back from support. They can't help me without a trip ID. Wtf? I respond and say there is no trip ID as I don't have a problem with a specific trip. I need to figure out why I can't see this other profile that was supposedly set up for me. Again a response that I need to provide a trip number... Ugh.. I respond and ask for a phone number because obviously they aren't getting this and it would maybe be easier to explain over the phone. They respond back, and say there is no phone, but they'd be happy to help out with my issue, but then don't address the issue.. Ugh.. Driver support is really abysmal.. Anyone have any contact info for someone at uber who understands what I'm trying to accomplish here?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like my wife's account is finally fixed.. I can have her go online then go into the rider app on my phone and she won't show up when requesting X, but will when requesting XL or select.. Now let's see if we can get it fixed on my profile..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I got a Select/XL only profile.. It only took a couple weeks of going back and forth with support a dozen times.. I've been driving the Suburban on the weekends. Usually most of the pings are select, but every once in a while, it's an XL. I'm kind of loving it.. Making good money. Saturday night, I was out at the local amphitheater waiting for a concert to end. I struck up a conversation with a couple drivers. They asked if I was driving SUV.. I said no, because it's not black.. The guy I'm talking to is sitting in a dark blue lincoln navigator.. He says that he drives SUV, you just have to ask them to put you on it. Hmm.. After he leaves, I start talking to another driver. He asks "So you drive SUV?". No it's not black.. "Oh you can drive SUV. I drove a white Suburban in Phoenix on SUV." Whaa... So next time they have office hours, I'm going in to try and get on SUV. I know I have to get the insurance, but SUV is surging twice as often as Select, and pays 25% more on the base. Why would I not drive SUV? My only question is, are they really going to drop me when the 2017s come out early next year?

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
SUV is only for TCP vehicles with commercial insurance, and I'm not sure if you can have it double as a personal car. Yes it pays more, but you must drive more often to cover its costs.

I drive a similar type SUV part time, but on XL only. Its not accepted on select. Where I live, you only need a 2.8 XL surge to get SUV rates (except for base fare) and 2.3 for Black. And I get these rates without the added expense of having a TCP

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure about elsewhere, but here in SLC, you don't have to have all the additional licensing.. You just have to have the million dollar commercial insurance policy. I remember overhearing the local uber rep telling someone that.. I only need the airport tag and private llc if I'm going to run my own side business, which I don't plan on doing. I may if I plan on picking people up at the airport, but I don't plan on doing that.

The difference between XL and SUV rates here is 3.1.. But when XL is surging when I'm driving on the weekends, SUV is almost always surging as well, sometimes surging when XL isn't. In addition, the minimum fare on SUV is 5X the minimum on XL. Want me to just drive you 5 blocks? Ok. I don't mind so much. If I could drop XL rides, I would. Instead of just a couple drunk college kids, it's 6 drunk college kids.. With prime ski season around the corner, I'd much rather be driving VIPs up to the mountains all day Saturday and Sunday than drive around a bunch of drunk college kids on Saturday night to try and get the surges..

I'll know more next time they have office hours... I wish they were more regular around here.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
At 3.1 XL your minimum is $18.60 so not quite SUV rate but close, and your base is 4.65 versus $15. However, your per min rate is .78c versus .40., which helps make up the other deficits in pay, especially on longer trips. Here short trips are far less common on XL than X or pool. All these are before Uber fees of course.

I would double check on the licensing requirements though. Sometimes those CSRs can be clueless. Make sure it's written somewhere or they tell you directly. If you can get on SUV without it though, more power to you. I'd keep XL as an option though for the reasons above

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I always laugh at people who keep knocking the Chevrolet name. The reason why the Suburban is the industry standard is because no one else makes anything as big...except for the Navigator L. That's it...you're not going to find any foreign luxury nameplate with a vehicle even close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts