Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to meet up with her on Monday/tuesday to look at deductions. She was throwing some crazy deductions that we can take out like gas mileage to and from an oil change spot? What the shit? Once I meet up with her, I'll get every possible deduction and list it on here for anyone that doesn't know the whole skinny on that shit (like me). Anyone have anything to list off top besides
1 gas
2 cell phone
3 mileage
4 anything like snacks (provided to riders (or yourself))
5 any and all maintenance (oil changes, tires, etc related to your car)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought you're not able to claim that stuff if you're writing off the mileage at IRS rate of .58 cents per mile. You can't claim both. Do your deductions exceed your mileage used? Calculate both and you will see which one is better instantly.

·
Premium Member
2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
3,063 Posts
Question for those who have been doing this awhile and/or have a good grasp of taxation: for drivers using older, paid-for compact cars , is there really much to be gained by itemizing versus taking the standard IRS mileage allowance?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Question for those who have been doing this awhile and/or have a good grasp of taxation: for drivers using older, paid-for compact cars , is there really much to be gained by itemizing versus taking the standard IRS mileage allowance?
No, use the mileage allowance. You can't switch back and forth year to year, so the mileage deduction is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I'm going to meet up with her on Monday/tuesday to look at deductions. She was throwing some crazy deductions that we can take out like gas mileage to and from an oil change spot? What the shit? Once I meet up with her, I'll get every possible deduction and list it on here for anyone that doesn't know the whole skinny on that shit (like me). Anyone have anything to list off top besides
1 gas
2 cell phone
3 mileage
I understand that repairs and maintenance expenses are included in your mileage write off, but other expenses, like cellphone, water, snacks, and car washes are additional write off.

Any second opinions?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Did you buy clothes? Do you wear them driving for L/U? Write them off.
Subscribe to Apple Music/Spotify/etc and play them for customers?
Pay registration dues?
Interest of car loan?
Tolls?

All of what I mentioned can be potential write-offs.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
1 gas
2 cell phone
3 mileage
Is she cute?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you buy clothes? Do you wear them driving for L/U? Write them off.
Subscribe to Apple Music/Spotify/etc and play them for customers?
Pay registration dues?
Interest of car loan?
Tolls?

All of what I mentioned can be potential write-offs.
Yeah man, dont forget to deduct the tolls. Uber has been adding that as part of earnings.

When you have lunch with fellow Uber drivers, and discuss strategy, that's considered working lunch and can be deducted. Soda, water, food that you ate while waiting for a passenger. JP, could you ask her if the food you ate while waiting for a passenger request is deductable? That's eating while on the job.

Handwash and soap used before and after lyft.
Shavers,Blankets, clothes, shoes, if you paid for haircut. Got to look decent when driving.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
What do you do if you rented a car for a few months out of the year and then used your own car for the rest of the year. Can you write off rental cost for the time you rented and mileage for the time you owned?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've always used mileage because it was worth more. I think it's 54 cents btw

Yeah man, dont forget to deduct the tolls. Uber has been adding that as part of earnings.

When you have lunch with fellow Uber drivers, and discuss strategy, that's considered working lunch and can be deducted. Soda, water, food that you ate while waiting for a passenger. JP, could you ask her if the food you ate while waiting for a passenger request is deductable? That's eating while on the job.

Handwash and soap used before and after lyft.
Shavers,Blankets, clothes, shoes, if you paid for haircut. Got to look decent when driving.
Sure

What do you do if you rented a car for a few months out of the year and then used your own car for the rest of the year. Can you write off rental cost for the time you rented and mileage for the time you owned?
I did that some years ago. Not sure if it was legal, but I'll ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.