Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that you guys have been here for almost a year, how you feel about your beloved locals, I hate it when they call for a taxi but they call 2 or more companies to see who gets there first, riders from supermarkets smelling like weed or drunk , they expect you to help them but don't want to tip, senior citizens are ok for the most part, and don't forget about all your local drug dealers. Working girls, etc, I personally thank you for cleaning up, it's a little better now but not everyone has an uber account, anyways you still think very good about locals and believe that cab drivers are evil?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Personally I don't give a hoot, who I pick up. Locals, tourists, long as the fare is good and they don't stab me in the neck while I'm driving, respectful individuals, they all get a 5* from me, tip or no tip. Working girls need a ride too. I've had drug dealers a couple of times, i just make excuses to get rid of those pax in a not confrontational manner, "I gotta pick up my kid soon, where can I drop you off? Something like that, never had a problem.
As for luggages, only Ladies and elderly I help. The rest can go suck cow balls! I pull in, open my trunk, and if I see they're half way done, I get out and close my trunk! The trick is, if you help them with that one first luggage they expect you to help with the rest!
The only locals I don't pick up is people from Serene and Las Vegas Boulevard, Manhattan Condo. Those kids are annoying, entitled ******! And people with lower than 4.65 rating, I don't pick up.
I don't think Cabbies are Evil, believe me they drive waaaayy better than most of Uber/ Lyft drivers. Those SOB think just because they drive Uber/Lyft they're special and don't know how to follow simple traffic signs.
Limo and party bus drivers? Them are a different breed, that need to be extinct! F- them!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Now that you guys have been here for almost a year, how you feel about your beloved locals, I hate it when they call for a taxi but they call 2 or more companies to see who gets there first, riders from supermarkets smelling like weed or drunk , they expect you to help them but don't want to tip, senior citizens are ok for the most part, and don't forget about all your local drug dealers. Working girls, etc, I personally thank you for cleaning up, it's a little better now but not everyone has an uber account, anyways you still think very good about locals and believe that cab drivers are evil?
I drive 1 trip every 2 months since Feb, but if I remember correctly all my driving experiences from Sept, I have a happy feeling picking up locals, being on the ride with them, and sometimes after they get out the car. I tend to pick up locals in the nicer areas, not all the time, but that's where I position my car for those rides, like 3 a.m. airport rides from hills of Henderson to port or Summerlin to port. Been almost a year, and rideshare has only scratched the surface. Locals, in less than a year have abandoned taxi use. In a few years, taxi trip numbers overall in Vegas will drastically plummet. I don't really drive much coz I always earn over a G a week at my other driving job at Amazon, but I do follow Uber and Lyft. Going through growing pains with luring drivers with false promises and then bait and switch, but they are eradicating the taxi business. Vegas is a work in progress, but it'll happen. Taking a long time, but it's only a matter of time. Locals were the 1st to abandon taxis.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've picked up a couple of people at the Mc Donald's on Shara and Maryland and drove them a mile to their apt. on Fremont st they both looked homeless and had 4 bags of food. I was hoping they wouldn't make a mess but it turns out they where both very nice and tipped $5 because he knew it was a short ride and the first 2 request canceled on them. Plus they both signed up for Lyft so I got $20 in referrals.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is THE reason cabs have their well deserved (for the most part)bad rep.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I drive 1 trip every 2 months since Feb, but if I remember correctly all my driving experiences from Sept, I have a happy feeling picking up locals, being on the ride with them, and sometimes after they get out the car. I tend to pick up locals in the nicer areas, not all the time, but that's where I position my car for those rides, like 3 a.m. airport rides from hills of Henderson to port or Summerlin to port. Been almost a year, and rideshare has only scratched the surface. Locals, in less than a year have abandoned taxi use. In a few years, taxi trip numbers overall in Vegas will drastically plummet. I don't really drive much coz I always earn over a G at my other driving job at Amazon, but I do follow Uber and Lyft. Going through growing pains with luring drivers with false promises and then bait and switch, but they are eradicating the taxi business. Vegas is a work in progress, but it'll happen. Taking a long time, but it's only a matter of time. Locals were the 1st to abandon taxis.
Same here 1G @Amazon <<<Maybe ive seen you In the Car Line

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
This is THE reason cabs have their well deserved (for the most part)bad rep.
The bad reputation cabs have in Las Vegas is the slow or non-existent level of customer service to the local community. It's not about the quality or cleanliness of the passenger, it's NOT about picking up at grocery stores, or nail salons, or doctor's offices - it's about time management. Now that you're professional drivers, you probably understand this. If I drop my last ride at Palazzo, I'm not going to volunteer to go pick up Susan at Durango and Sahara. Just like Uber drivers, cabs don't know the passenger's destination. It may be a good ride across town - but its probably not. I've seen your posts that you won't chase pings more than 10-12 minutes away. That's actually a great business practice that cabs figured out a LONG time ago. I'm going to stay close to the Strip, airport, and convention centers...because that's where 90% of the business is.

If you call for a cab in Vegas on a Saturday night... you're waiting for a cab to volunteer to come pick you up. You might wait 20 minutes before someone even decides to come pick you up. It doesn't matter what company or companies you called. Just as you won't chase pings - we won't/shouldn't chase calls. If I'm in a cab line that isn't moving well or dropped out in the burbs, I'll roll the dice and run out of my way, but for the most part it's a complete waste of my time. I'm not a gambler - especially when it comes to my income.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bad reputation cabs have in Las Vegas is the slow or non-existent level of customer service to the local community. It's not about the quality or cleanliness of the passenger, it's NOT about picking up at grocery stores, or nail salons, or doctor's offices - it's about time management. Now that you're professional drivers, you probably understand this. If I drop my last ride at Palazzo, I'm not going to volunteer to go pick up Susan at Durango and Sahara. Just like Uber drivers, cabs don't know the passenger's destination. It may be a good ride across town - but its probably not. I've seen your posts that you won't chase pings more than 10-12 minutes away. That's actually a great business practice that cabs figured out a LONG time ago. I'm going to stay close to the Strip, airport, and convention centers...because that's where 90% of the business is.

If you call for a cab in Vegas on a Saturday night... you're waiting for a cab to volunteer to come pick you up. You might wait 20 minutes before someone even decides to come pick you up. It doesn't matter what company or companies you called. Just as you won't chase pings - we won't/shouldn't chase calls. If I'm in a cab line that isn't moving well or dropped out in the burbs, I'll roll the dice and run out of my way, but for the most part it's a complete waste of my time. I'm not a gambler - especially when it comes to my income.
You said it all, thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts

I could be wrong because I have not looked into it, but Vegas does still have restricted cabs with regards to pick up correct?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
There used to be over 200 restricted cabs in Las Vegas that couldn't pick up on the Strip, airport, or downtown...but those cabs were eliminated by the Taxicab Authority last year in response to Uber and Lyft coming to town. For a short time they even had Geo 2 cabs which were limited to pickups in the extreme outer neighborhoods. I don't claim to understand the logic behind eliminating restricted cabs...Hell, I'm just a stupid cabbie.

·
Registered
770 Posts
There used to be over 200 restricted cabs in Las Vegas that couldn't pick up on the Strip, airport, or downtown...but those cabs were eliminated by the Taxicab Authority last year in response to Uber and Lyft coming to town. For a short time they even had Geo 2 cabs which were limited to pickups in the extreme outer neighborhoods. I don't claim to understand the logic behind eliminating restricted cabs...Hell, I'm just a stupid cabbie.
I remember them, I did not know they were eliminated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts