Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I've been experiencing slower than normal mornings but offset with abnormal afternoon business
Microsoft Build Conf was Mon-Weds at the Washington Convention Center. About 6K attendees were being shuttled around during the day via buses. They were going out on the town at night (dinner/drinks), so we were catching them in the evening (after 7:30P). Most of the attendees were in hotels in the Seattle downtown core. Weather was nice, so many were just walking. The convention ended yesterday, with an after party at the MPoP last night. Most of them flew out today.

The only traffic in the AM Mon-Wed was from Eastside to Convention Center, early AM bringing Microsoft employees in to set up for the day. If you noticed 6-7AM X-surge in Redmond, Sammamish, Klahanie, etc... this was the AM movement into the city by the core Microsoft employees.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Microsoft Build Conf was Mon-Weds at the Washington Convention Center. About 6K attendees were being shuttled around during the day via buses. They were going out on the town at night (dinner/drinks), so we were catching them in the evening (after 7:30P). Most of the attendees were in hotels in the Seattle downtown core. Weather was nice, so many were just walking. The convention ended yesterday, with an after party at the MPoP last night. Most of them flew out today.

The only traffic in the AM Mon-Wed was from Eastside to Convention Center, early AM bringing Microsoft employees in to set up for the day. If you noticed 6-7AM X-surge in Redmond, Sammamish, Klahanie, etc... this was the AM movement into the city by the core Microsoft employees.
That's a thorough breakdown. Thanks, Dex.

I've not been paying attention to conventions and such, just expecting to turn the app on and rides to happen.

I need to up my game as they say.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
That's a thorough breakdown. Thanks, Dex.

I've not been paying attention to conventions and such, just expecting to turn the app on and rides to happen.

I need to up my game as they say.

Cheers!
Its all good.

Higher tiers are all about finding these events, understanding the logistics of how these people are going to interact with the area, and predicting their travel patterns. I communicate with a few other drivers so that we have multiple eyes on the market at any time. If one of us finds an event, or part of a larger event, then we share with each other. Often times we stumble into events during the load-in phase, that we then exploit during the load-out later in the night/week.

Business pax in this market tend to travel in very distinct patterns, so when the patterns change... we know something is going on either in, or outside of, our market.

A great example of this would the Paris Airshow. If you understand how/when a trade show in Paris, France, effects our market here... then you can exploit those long distance runs as Boeing executives leave our market. Then you can add in airshows in Dubai, or Singapore, or the UK... you get the idea.

We look really hard for patterns... patterns that repeat predictably so that we can position to exploit them.

With so many major corporations in our market (Amazon, Microsoft, Costco, T-mobile, Concur, Tableau, Facebook, Google, Boeing, Starbucks, Apple, Salesforce, Symetra, Tesla, Space-X, Blue Origin, F-5, Cisco, Zillow, Nintendo, Valve.....) You only need to become an expert in a few to be able to operate very sucessfully.

·
Banned
6,758 Posts
Its all good.

Higher tiers are all about finding these events, understanding the logistics of how these people are going to interact with the area, and predicting their travel patterns. I communicate with a few other drivers so that we have multiple eyes on the market at any time. If one of us finds an event, or part of a larger event, then we share with each other. Often times we stumble into events during the load-in phase, that we then exploit during the load-out later in the night.

Business pax in this market tend to travel in very distinct patterns, so when the patterns change... we know something is going on either in, or outside of, our market.

A great example of this would the Paris Airshow. If you understand how/when a trade show in Paris, France, effects our market here... then you can exploit those long distance runs as Boeing executives leave our market.

So Organized!

in the meantime X drivers are like Lord of the Fly...

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So out early this morning. Up between Ballard and Madison Park. But crickets. Lots of fake surge and a few long requests outside of the honey and none inside.

My first Mothers' Day and expected things to be off the hook.

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
Anybody still out there waiting for their phone to light up for the 2AM bar surge???? (Hint: it never happened)
I'm glad I stayed in, then. This whole weekend has been pretty slow. Only money making has been on long rides when they happen (got a few). Other than that? Base rate up and down crap hill all night.

Transition week. Summer patterns are emerging. Great week for me. Here we go....

Hmm. I didn't really find that this week. Weak to no surges, less tourists than the past few weeks, even taking bartenders home before 2am whk said they were also slow as hell. Maybe I was extremely ublucky but I was trailing behind what I usually make in Winter. Last week was pretty good. No idea if I'm correct but I suspect Cinco De Mayo tired people out for this weekend. Are you making the good money on upper tier rides?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts