Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most of the riders I been picking up have been saying its taking forever to get picked up and drivers are cancelling because of short calls, which I think is awesome and I'll tell you why.

Most of you drivers had it really good when UBER came to Connecticut. The service was new and you made a killing during that time. Then the rates dropped and you spoiled brats got angry and started complaining thinking it would make a difference but it didn't and you kept driving, lol!

Then Uber cut the rates again this year and the complaining started in full force but this time you started canceling rides because of "short calls or it's to far to drive for so little money or my cars mileage" or whatever lame excuses you whiners use to not go out and hustle for your money. You've complained to your passengers, in these forums and who knows where else but you still don't get it, lol!

Negative out brings negative in and that's why you guys are losing at this game!

Cheer up and go hard. Take every call you can and make the best of each ride! I didn't make what you guys did in the beginning I got in late but I'm making a living and that's all that matters.

Best of luck to you all and make that money!!

Reactions: Derek404

·
Registered
79 Posts
Listen I am a newbie also and started this gig late making less than $1 mile..but to say a driver should go 15 minutes to pick up a pax and drive them 1 mile to the super market and dead head back is feasible and should suck it up is just what uber wants. So while drivers continue to do it your way and we all stay at the low rates..If uber paid extra to you to pick up a pax 15 miles out then more drivers would or pay extra to drivers who drive more or on off peak hours and during the day when riders are at alow..Right now raising rates will keep drivers hapoy driving more and riders still pay less than a cab...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think you get it...see I don't flip burgers because I don't like to flip burgers but I do like being a driver so I do it just I enjoy it...but let's say I complained enough to uber about their pricing and they payed me a little more but only me .not you...then is when we would start hearING you start *****ing cause I now make more than you for doing the same job and you want your piece of the pie..your not fooling anyone with your ..I'll drive for peanuts attitude..your fool of sh%t and using this post to vent yourself...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lmfao, dude I'm the most positive, happy go lucky guy on the planet! Your insults do nothing but prove the reason behind your lack of making money and complaining! Also, the flip burgers comment was about getting something consistent rather then work as an IC and have to deal with ups and downs but hey it's obvious you like most in these forums don't get it, by the way I don't complain I go out and make things happen!

Peace!
Mainly that's what forums are for to ***** moan cry yell scream or whatever it takes to let it out and occasionally get a question answered. because we all know uber is not listing here. You my friend have just joined the rant club by posting your tantrum about other people's tantrum. I'm happy to hear your happy go lucky and probably should be on ubers personal forum where people talk about sunshine and buttetflies...but wait a minute...they don't have one do they..on second thought they do ..it's called uber help..have fun getting a response there from a real person and a computer..now we come to reason your here and not there posting your own little tantrum because THEY DON'T CARE..And you also need to heard...Drive safe my new friend..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarifying that, you rock!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Honestly nothing personal. We are still driving for the same reason..it's better than sitting home watching reruns of big bang theory...I enjoy this forum because my wife doesn't want to hear it...lol..so I must continue to keep uber alive..Peace

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
So most of the riders I been picking up have been saying its taking forever to get picked up and drivers are cancelling because of short calls, which I think is awesome and I'll tell you why.

Most of you drivers had it really good when UBER came to Connecticut. The service was new and you made a killing during that time. Then the rates dropped and you spoiled brats got angry and started complaining thinking it would make a difference but it didn't and you kept driving, lol!

Then Uber cut the rates again this year and the complaining started in full force but this time you started canceling rides because of "short calls or it's to far to drive for so little money or my cars mileage" or whatever lame excuses you whiners use to not go out and hustle for your money. You've complained to your passengers, in these forums and who knows where else but you still don't get it, lol!

Negative out brings negative in and that's why you guys are losing at this game!

Cheer up and go hard. Take every call you can and make the best of each ride! I didn't make what you guys did in the beginning I got in late but I'm making a living and that's all that matters.

Best of luck to you all and make that money!!
Cancelling the short calls is not drivers being crybabies, it just makes common sense. If you are traveling out of area 15 minutes to pick up a passenger, only to take them on a 1 mile ride, then drive 15 minutes back to civilization, that's a good 40 minutes of your time for $3. Ignoring the gas cost, it is really the opportunity cost of a more productive ride. If it is the middle of the day and it's slow, yeah I'll take that ride because I'm bored, but if it the morning rush hour or time for Hartford airport runs, nope I'm not doing it. I always text the passenger first before heading out on the far away pick ups. If it is worth the trip, I'll go, if not, I cancel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cancelling the short calls is not drivers being crybabies, it just makes common sense. If you are traveling out of area 15 minutes to pick up a passenger, only to take them on a 1 mile ride, then drive 15 minutes back to civilization, that's a good 40 minutes of your time for $3. Ignoring the gas cost, it is really the opportunity cost of a more productive ride. If it is the middle of the day and it's slow, yeah I'll take that ride because I'm bored, but if it the morning rush hour or time for Hartford airport runs, nope I'm not doing it. I always text the passenger first before heading out on the far away pick ups. If it is worth the trip, I'll go, if not, I cancel.
I've never had to cancel on a ride..lucky I guess..but when you do cancel do you have to put a reason why you canceled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, are drivers getting there, then starting the ride, and then cancelling before the rider can get to the car? Otherwise, how do they know it's a short ride?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
So, are drivers getting there, then starting the ride, and then cancelling before the rider can get to the car? Otherwise, how do they know it's a short ride?
No. If it is a long trip to the pick up point, I text the passenger asking what the destination is. If the ride is too short to be worth it, I cancel before I drive there. If they don't respond to my text, I cancel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm..... so you just leave it for another driver to make the pick up on the short trip? Seems if you accept the ping you should take the ride. Nobody hates a $3 payout more than me, but they're part of the game.

If legal opinions are expressed in this post they are for discussion only and should not be considered legal advice. You have no idea if I know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Hmmm..... so you just leave it for another driver to make the pick up on the short trip? Seems if you accept the ping you should take the ride. Nobody hates a $3 payout more than me, but they're part of the game.

If legal opinions are expressed in this post they are for discussion only and should not be considered legal advice. You have no idea if I know what I'm talking about.
That's the beauty of Uber. We can each drive our own way.

·
Registered
952 Posts
How low is too low? You say go out and hustle. Will you hustle it when uber lowers rates to .90, .85, or .75 per mile.? Will you continue to hustle it after driving tons of miles you now need to spend money on a major car repair, like a transmission? I'm betting since you're new you haven't spent much on car repairs. When you do you'll start to think different, especially if you can't make any money cause that car is the only one you own

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Janice just because I'm new to Uber doesn't mean I'm new to cars! That's the point I'm trying to make here, there's always someone looking for the worst! Sadly, most of you people look for every excuse to not drive but your out there driving then you come in here and rant about how much it sucks! Stop all the negative bs and either do it or dont. BTW, if you have a car, you have expenses. If you take care of your car, the likelihood of running it into the ground is slim and if you learn how to do the basics, like changing your brakes and tune ups you just might have a car that last long enough to buy another one, lol but you lazy ass' won't because you would rather pay someone to do it for you and that's why you're broke! Also, if uber goes under a $1 a mile, the important word there is "if" meaning it hasn't happened yet so your statements irrelevant for now then who knows how many drivers will do it but just like the rates drop they also rise and I'm sure once you crybabies quit we'll have more demand. Till then keep crying I'll keep driving and making money!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Calling passengers to quiz them and then cancelling is ratfink behavior. You are trusting the passenger to tell you the truth, he is trusting you to pick him up, he does his part, then you are breaking the trust. There is nothing unethical about calling for a short ride. But when you are making sure you get all the 50 mile rides and leaving the 3 mile ones for the more ethical drivers, you are screwing the other drivers. But so many drivers do it that's why I have no problem anymore with waiting a block closer to the main roads than the failed taxi drivers bunched up downtown and eating their lunch. Don't want to take fares? OK, I'll take care of that on my shift.

Sometimes pings are too far away for me to practicably take, and I figure he will be better served by waiting for the next driver to come through. But most of my long pickups have not been short rides at all, some very good ones. And not all pickup locations are equal, some yield better results than others and I am willing to drive further to them. With experience you get a good feel for it.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Calling passengers to quiz them and then cancelling is ratfink behavior. You are trusting the passenger to tell you the truth, he is trusting you to pick him up, he does his part, then you are breaking the trust. There is nothing unethical about calling for a short ride. But when you are making sure you get all the 50 mile rides and leaving the 3 mile ones for the more ethical drivers, you are screwing the other drivers. But so many drivers do it that's why I have no problem anymore with waiting a block closer to the main roads than the failed taxi drivers bunched up downtown and eating their lunch. Don't want to take fares? OK, I'll take care of that on my shift.

Sometimes pings are too far away for me to practicably take, and I figure he will be better served by waiting for the next driver to come through. But most of my long pickups have not been short rides at all, some very good ones. And not all pickup locations are equal, some yield better results than others and I am willing to drive further to them. With experience you get a good feel for it.
I'm fine with short rides, I just don't want to drive 15 minutes both ways to do them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It all about the law of averages, take all the calls you can and you'll make money. Personally though, I only have one reason that would make me cancel a call and that's if there's a child that needs to be in a car seat. I don't have one and since it's against the law, I won't do it. Other than that I'll take you wherever you need to go down the block or out of state makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
See that's exactly what I'm talking about! If your not happy, stop *****ing and go flip a burger! It isn't that complicated, UBER isn't forcing you to drive. You're an independent contractor as in your the boss! Why take their shit if you don't have too?
Agreed! you can still get a regular job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.