Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first sketchy uber experience since I started last November. Last night I accepted a pickup off of Deeverview Rd. Deeverview Apts I think it was. Dude acknowledged me when I pulled up, and confirmed he was my rider. He got in the car, I started the trip, and asked him where he was going. He then tried selling me drugs. After we established I wasn't buying any drugs, he said he needed to cancel the ride. I completed the trip and bounced! I would avoid this rd for any pickups. It is a super sketchy area, and I hear that sometimes people surround cars with guns and demand cash for exit of the apartments.

Just thought I would let my fellow AVL drivers know about this weirdness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They get in the car smelling like they've been wallowing in a pot field...takes a good 10 minute, high speed ride with windows wide open to get rid of the stench. I don't go there anymore...had one experience where I was about to be confronted by multiple thugs, just for waiting, before the dopers finally got into the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought I was in for one of these last night (around 3 a.m. no less) in Shiloh & almost canceled the call. I rang the guy up on the phone though & he sounded...how to say this without sounding... He sounded harmless. I picked them up (4 ppl, young suburbanites), ran them all the way across town & they tipped me $20. The take-away (for me) from this is : call them. If they sound dodgy, cancel the call. If not, grab the $. You can tell a lot about someone from their voice. Good people live in these places too (I used to live in a similar place myself).

P.S.: Last night was my first night. My immediate thought was "Oh great, I'm about to get jumped 'first day on the job'"

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Even Asheville has their sketchy pockets, but luckily they are few in number and small in size. If you can learn where and spot the streets when you see the request, you can proactively make an informed decision on whether to pickup there or not. In regards to Deeverview, I've only had 3 pickups there in my time driving and all 3 passengers were wonderful; one was one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met. The bad is that there are characters that will always approach your car and harass you to buy drugs or just for the heck of it. Personally, I do not do late night pickups there as the min fare isn't worth my safety, no matter how long the odds.

AVLien Really great tip with the phone call and agree 100%. Also, when you say Shiloh, do you mean the road down there by W. Chapel? If so, funny enough, I had a pickup a few months ago down on London and heard some popping as I was waiting for my riders. Apparently, a group of kids had all opened fire on a house a few hundred feet down and ran away as I waited. My passengers and I were both incredulous and a little unsettled but had an awkward laugh at the absurdity of it. The police response was almost immediate though, so props to the APD. Definitely not the norm for Asheville, but thought I'd share nonetheless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts