Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

When I signed up with Uber & completed my required number of rides, I was paid my expected bonus

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did you sign-up with Uber (or any other rideshare company) under a promotion, and were you promised a bonus upon completing a certain number of rides?

What were you offered?

Did you complete on the number of rides within the allotted period of time?

What happened next?

- it doesn't matter whether you signed-up with Uber (or your other company) last week, last month, last year or earlier; what were your experiences with receiving the sign-up bonus you were offered?

- please enter your 'true/false' response to the survey question, and feel free to post about your own experiences, your questions, and advice to other drivers.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Was promised a signing bonus for 25 rides. Got it. Later they screwed up and offered another $100 for completing 25 rides. They paid that one too even though they didn't have to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I signed up with the guaranteed payout of 1640 in Chicago. I ended up getting $200 after 75 trips, and emailed reps over and over again asking why my payout was wrong and they kept telling me I would get the payout
Product Azure Computer Font Rectangle
, which never happened, then they told me that promo didn't exist in my city. It states no where in the promo that it's based on location. It just flat out says guaranteed 1640 total payout after 100 trips. I actually had to take a loan to rent a car for this, thinking I could pay back the loan after getting the bonus, which of course didn't happen, so this really put me in a bind. UBER will not honor it regardless of legal threats. What worse if that an UBER chat agent applied the promo for me during the sign up, and if it didn't exist in my city, then they should and could have said something then and there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I signed up with the guaranteed payout of 1640 in Chicago. I ended up getting $200 after 75 trips, and emailed reps over and over again asking why my payout was wrong and they kept telling me I would get the payout View attachment 93831 , which never happened, then they told me that promo didn't exist in my city. It states no where in the promo that it's based on location. It just flat out says guaranteed 1640 total payout after 100 trips. I actually had to take a loan to rent a car for this, thinking I could pay back the loan after getting the bonus, which of course didn't happen, so this really put me in a bind. UBER will not honor it regardless of legal threats. What worse if that an UBER chat agent applied the promo for me during the sign up, and if it didn't exist in my city, then they should and could have said something then and there.
They can't do that.

Okay, how much of this do you have documented? When did you sign-up and when did you complete on the required rides? Do you have all the email exchanges with the support people at Uber and have you got the terms & conditions from when you signed up and accepted this promo?

The key here is not to make threats, but to actually file - if indeed they're ignoring your situation, and in fact, if you do this you might well end up with more than you were originally promised if what they're doing amounts to deceptive practices and/or fraud as defined in the uniform commercial code and other applicable statutes that apply here, so you might get double or triple damages.

Have you ever handled your own small claims action before?

Did you speak with a lawyer (which isn't always advisable if you're going to have to pay for an initial consultation) about any of this and what were you told? There is a possibility of suing with other drivers if there are a bunch of you with the same problem, which would be even more trouble for Uber if there's enough - depending on if the drivers concerned opted out of the arbitration clause in their Uber agreement.

I know someone with a similar problem at another rideshare company who got paid out 100% without having to file, but the process followed wasn't one of making threats but very simply outlining what was going to happen - which was going to cost the company more money than if they simply paid out, which they did. If what you're saying is all there is to it, there is no reason why you shouldn't get satisfaction if you go about things in an appropriate fashion.

Feel free to come back to me on anything above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I documented 100% of everything. They even told me in emails repeatedly that I would be paid this referral amount and to "wait" for it to be reflected, and when it "didn't reflect", they backtracked and said the promo was for another city which is mentioned absolutely nowhere. I explained to them the trouble it caused me and that their ad does not disclose anywhere about it being different in other cities, and their response was that "Referral rewards are subject to change periodically, and I was paid the correct amount for my city". They refuse to honor it, and it does not matter what I tell them. I'm nobody to them. I would love to lawyer up, but I'm sitting here fighting for $700, so getting a lawyer is going to likely cost more than that. I really am beyond frustrated that companies like this take advantage of people who are already struggling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't fret Grace, you're in the right place and I happen to be in Chicago, so helping you get this sorted will not only be a pleasure, but will be a lot easier than if you were in San Francisco. You don't need a lawyer to handle this, but we will need to talk more specifically, so please send me a private message when you have time with how best to contact you so we can exchange further details and get you on the right track.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Did you sign-up with Uber (or any other rideshare company) under a promotion, and were you promised a bonus upon completing a certain number of rides?

What were you offered?

Did you complete on the number of rides within the allotted period of time?

What happened next?

- it doesn't matter whether you signed-up with Uber (or your other company) last week, last month, last year or earlier; what were your experiences with receiving the sign-up bonus you were offered?

- please enter your 'true/false' response to the survey question, and feel free to post about your own experiences, your questions, and advice to other drivers.
I wasn't offered a bonus but the bonus was $200 at the time I joined. I drove for a little while to test the waters.

When I felt comfortable enough with Uber after about a month, I talked to my wife about driving. We did the initial sign up process online and the sign on bonus at that moment was $200.

Before she was approved, they dropped the bonus to $100 without notifying us. We didn't even know they dropped the sign on bonus until she finished her required rides and got payed $100 for it.

We went to Uber's Greenlight hub and they told us that the bonus dropped on Aug 8, 2015, days before she was approved. I told them how that's b.s. then they just gave me terms and conditions to the bonus.

There was a clause in it that said the driver had to be approved to drive to be eligible for the bonus and that the bonus can change at anything without notice.

I told them "that's the biggest crock of [email protected] I have ever heard, I'll never refer anyone to drive for them again" and then I left.

Reactions: Rakos

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Graham, if you have something in writing - like an email or a screenshot that shows the amount of the sign-up bonus you were being offered (that you then accepted) with any other email exchanges between you and Uber Support, and you were in compliance with all the other terms of the offer then you have a claim against Uber if they didn't pay you out in full.

Since it's only a small amount you could file your own small claims case against Uber and it will cost them more money to defend it than to simply pay you out - regardless of whether they win or lose.

If this had happened to me, and I had everything documented, I would sue for double or triple damages ($200 or $300 from what you've said above) plus costs under whatever statutes might apply (deceptive practices/fraud) that allow for such. So if it cost $150 to file, after I checked my local uniform commercial code & any other applicable laws, I would put in (if looking for three-times damages) for a total of $450 and I would expect to be fully settled for this amount.

If you're not familiar with small claims actions there are usually free services available, like a help desk in your local court house. They won't offer you legal advice, but they will explain how to complete the forms and what you have to do if you tell them what happened - in this case you'll be suing under breach of contract for money damages.

You may have to act within a certain period of time, so check your local statutes to see how long you have; I believe in Hawaii this might be either 4 or 6 years, depending on whether your contract was spoken or in writing.

Often times with these sorts of small amounts, after three or four weeks of your filing (and you'll need to find the 'address for legal service' for Uber in Hawaii before you go in to complete everything) you will be contacted by a representative from the large firm's legal department offering to cut you a check if you'll withdraw your motion and sign a confidentiality agreement.

For an hour or so of your time, it can be well worth pursuing.

Please let us know if you decide to look into this and pursue it.

I believe there will be plenty of other people in exactly this situation, and this should resolve things for your wife.

·
Registered
395 Posts
First month with Lyft I had a 1500$ guarantee each week for 4 weeks. Misjudged that it wasn't easy the first week so I failed. Then I studied this site and did everything I could do to not spend money or try to make money. Think I hit like 4-700 the next 3 weeks and Lyft kicked in up to 1500 minus their cut. Probably got like 600 a week from lyft alone then what I made to equal 1500$ - lyfts cut

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are there any other people like SavageGrace or GrahamCracker with similar experiences to report in the past 12 to 24 months with Uber and its sign-on bonus offers?

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Uber &#$#@ me over thrice...

Didn't get $150 referral for wife...

Didn't get $150 referral for best friend...

Also Didn't get my $500 back from ticket...

That I went to court on...

After getting busted for Ubering...

In Key West...

Uber has done their best...

To avoid paying me...
In spite of the fact that...

They provided the lawyer in court...8>O

Pretty disappointing!

Oh yes...almost forgot to mention...

They screwed up my three year old driver account...and when they redid it they started on a higher percentage...

(Back when we got percentage)

Rakos

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Uber &#$#@ me over thrice...

Didn't get $150 referral for wife...

Didn't get $150 referral for best friend...

Also Didn't get my $500 back from ticket...

That I went to court on...

After getting busted for Ubering...

In Key West...

Uber has done their best...

To avoid paying me...
In spite of the fact that...

They provided the lawyer in court...8>O

Pretty disappointing!

Oh yes...almost forgot to mention...

They screwed up my three year old driver account...and when they redid it they started on a higher percentage...

(Back when we got percentage)

Rakos
WOW.
Sorry about all that. :(

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
My problem was their sneaky play on words - when I signed up I did it with a friend's code, and we were both "guaranteed $700 upon my completing 75 rides." I assumed that meant I would receive an additional $700 on top of my regular earnings once I hit the 75 ride Mark, however all I received was $120, which is all I needed in order to bring my earnings up to $700 total once I reached the 75 ride milestone. The way they worded the bonus implied it would be an additional $700 for me and $700 for my friend. My friend received his $700, and I only got about 1/6th of what I expected.

I should have known at that very moment that Uber is a shady, shitty, corrupt, trickery-filled organization that has no respect for its drivers and will do anything in its power to get one past its "partners" if they could. Yes, in re-reading the bonus "guarantee" after the fact, I saw what they did. But make no mistake: it was ABSOLUTELY meant to sound as if we would BOTH receive $700. Alas, I was simply guaranteed to earn a TOTAL of $700 upon hitting the 75 ride mark.....so they brought my earnings up to $700 from $580, which is what I had earned after giving my 75th ride.

Shady ****ing Company with Shady ****ing People !!!

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I signed up with the guaranteed payout of 1640 in Chicago. I ended up getting $200 after 75 trips, and emailed reps over and over again asking why my payout was wrong and they kept telling me I would get the payout View attachment 93831 , which never happened, then they told me that promo didn't exist in my city. It states no where in the promo that it's based on location. It just flat out says guaranteed 1640 total payout after 100 trips. I actually had to take a loan to rent a car for this, thinking I could pay back the loan after getting the bonus, which of course didn't happen, so this really put me in a bind. UBER will not honor it regardless of legal threats. What worse if that an UBER chat agent applied the promo for me during the sign up, and if it didn't exist in my city, then they should and could have said something then and there.
That's not a *BONUS* that's a garuntee.

Meaning after you do 100 trips they garuntee you will make $1640 total in payouts to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.