Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I've been ubering for only 3 months and I was just wondering if we should get a commercial insurance since we don't know when we gonna have an accident and hoping we won't get any. I've heard our personal insurance company will kick us out if they knew we're using our car for business like taxi, uber etc... Any opinions, suggestions, help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there,

Well, I am in Massachusetts, so I don't know CA laws. But if I were you, I would contact your state Division of Insurance or an equivalent. Also call your state's insurance agent association. These folks are aware of the industry and how Uber fits into it for your state. (And I don't know if you have different laws for different parts of the state) If the state agency and the insurance association don't have the answers you need, ask them who would.

I will tell you that Uber lied straight up to me, said I didn't need commercial insurance to drive in MA. They were dead wrong. And I drove for them for a month before I realized there was any problem, through reading about folks concerns here on this discussion forum. Thank God I didn't have any incidents, and I stopped immediately while I figure out a solution.

You probably know that if you tell your insurance agent and/or company that you are driving for Uber, they will likely cancel you at your next renewal date, if not sooner. So best to ask around anonymously. And between you and me, I wouldn't continue to drive while doing so illegally. I know plenty of drivers are doing it, but it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hello guys I've been ubering for only 3 months and I was just wondering if we should get a commercial insurance since we don't know when we gonna have an accident and hoping we won't get any. I've heard our personal insurance company will kick us out if they knew we're using our car for business like taxi, uber etc... Any opinions, suggestions, help will be appreciated. Thanks
What car and what platform do u work on?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Dhehoya,

From my experience as a former Uber employee, if you're only driving on uberX and/or UberSelect, then you are not required to have commercial insurance to keep driving them. If you would have needed commercial insurance to drive on the platform, they wouldn't have allowed you to drive in the first place without proof of commercial insurance.

If your concern is more on security in face of an accident, Uber's commercial insurance policy really does cover you (even though I know some drivers think otherwise). It's something called the "Waybill" that you can check on the app. The most important thing to do in an accident is to (1) make sure everyone is physically safe (2) exchange information with parties involved (3) contact Uber support immediately with key phrases such as "accident." That'll get you to the accident team where someone will call you and explain the accident and claims process.

Whether or not your personal insurance kicks you off the policy (and how much the next one will cost) is honestly dependent on individual situations. I've had drivers tell me that after their insurance kicked them out, they actually signed with the same coverage, at a cheaper rate, with another insurance. On the flip-side, I've had drivers tell me the opposite.

If you have time, go visit the Westwood partner support center. There's a dedicated Farmer's insurance rep at the center to talk about ride-share insurance. Tell the sign-in person you just want to talk to Farmer's and you should be able to skip the line for Uber support.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,243 Posts
Contact a Farmer's agent for a quote. There is a lot of info on this in the insurance forum, but this explains how it works

http://www.farmers.com/rideshare/

Hope that helps
Key words are,

Farmers Rideshare coverage ends when you accept a ride.

Which to me, means the driver and his car are NOT covered in an at fault accident.

Can someone clarify? Am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Key words are,

Farmers Rideshare coverage ends when you accept a ride.

Which to me, means the driver and his car are NOT covered in an at fault accident.

Can someone clarify? Am I reading this wrong?
Hi Observer,

What's you're referencing is also known as the "Phase 1" of the trip, which is something that was changed in CA around June/July of this year. You can learn more about the different phased by Googling or searching on past forum topics, but essentially, you are covered by Uber's insurance when you've accepted a trip (regardless if passenger is in the vehicle) and you need personal insurance coverage while online but haven't accepted a trip request or actively on a trip.

If you're already looking into Farmer's ride-share insurance again, there's a dedicated Farmer's rep at the Westwood Partner Support Center that you can talk to.

Hopefully that clarifies a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I use Metromile. Been happy with the rates, and I carry good coverage. They don't bill per mile when en route to a pax and after a trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,243 Posts
Hi Observer,

What's you're referencing is also known as the "Phase 1" of the trip, which is something that was changed in CA around June/July of this year. You can learn more about the different phased by Googling or searching on past forum topics, but essentially, you are covered by Uber's insurance when you've accepted a trip (regardless if passenger is in the vehicle) and you need personal insurance coverage while online but haven't accepted a trip request or actively on a trip.

If you're already looking into Farmer's ride-share insurance again, there's a dedicated Farmer's rep at the Westwood Partner Support Center that you can talk to.

Please clarify for me,

A) The drivers medical bills are covered by Farmers insurance once they turn app on?

B) The drivers medical bills are covered by Uber once they turn app on?

·
Super Moderator
15,243 Posts
Hi Observer,

Also,

Drivers car is covered by Uber in any at fault accident?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also,

Drivers car is covered by Uber in any at fault accident?
Hi Observer,

A) I can't say since I didn't work for Farmer's and wasn't on the insurance team at Uber to know exactly what Farmer will and will not cover. But Phase 1 is the time where you are online, but haven't accepted a trip request (not on a trip). At this phase, your coverage is limited, which is why Uber is encouraging drivers to get additional personal insurance coverage.

B) Driver is not 100% covered just because the app is on, that's the Phase 1 scenario above. Driver is 100% covered by Uber's commercial insurance once the driver is on an active trip, which is either accepted a trip request and on the way to pickup or rider is in the vehicle and the trip hasn't ended. If driver is covered 100% just because the app is on, you can imagine abuse by people who leaves the app on, but don't intend to accept any trip requests and solely wants to get Uber's insurance.

C) Again depends on what phase you are in (there's technically 4 phases) and so you could get a mix of no-coverage to complete coverage. If you are actively on a trip (defined in (B), then Uber's commercial insurance will cover your vehicle.

Things may have changed since I left Uber, so I can't guarantee 100% accuracy, but the general logic should still apply. If you are at all unsure, would highly recommend checking out metromile (which had a marketing partnership with Uber) or Farmer's Insurance.

Safe driving!

·
Super Moderator
15,243 Posts
Hi Observer,

A) I can't say since I didn't work for Farmer's and wasn't on the insurance team at Uber to know exactly what Farmer will and will not cover. But Phase 1 is the time where you are online, but haven't accepted a trip request (not on a trip). At this phase, your coverage is limited, which is why Uber is encouraging drivers to get additional personal insurance coverage.

So, reading between your lines, the driver medical bills are not covered.

B) Driver is not 100% covered just because the app is on, that's the Phase 1 scenario above. Driver is 100% covered by Uber's commercial insurance once the driver is on an active trip, which is either accepted a trip request and on the way to pickup or rider is in the vehicle and the trip hasn't ended. If driver is covered 100% just because the app is on, you can imagine abuse by people who leaves the app on, but don't intend to accept any trip requests and solely wants to get Uber's insurance.

From what I have read drivers medical bills are NEVER covered by Uber. So they ARE NOT 100% covered.

Coverage by Farmers stops as soon as driver accepts a trip request, so medical coverage stops then too.

I am asking if DRIVERS MEDICAL BILLS are covered, you really haven't answered.

C) Again depends on what phase you are in (there's technically 4 phases) and so you could get a mix of no-coverage to complete coverage. If you are actively on a trip (defined in (B), then Uber's commercial insurance will cover your vehicle.

Another non answer. Driver May or MAY NOT be covered.

Things may have changed since I left Uber, so I can't guarantee 100% accuracy, but the general logic should still apply. If you are at all unsure, would highly recommend checking out metromile (which had a marketing partnership with Uber) or Farmer's Insurance.

Just curious how long ago you quit Uber and if you were a CSR.

Safe driving!
Safe driving! ??? The correct ending is, Uber on! ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Safe driving! ??? The correct ending is, Uber on! ;)
Hi Observer,

I'm happy to go further in the answer, but to be fair, your question wasn't specific enough if you wanted a different answer.

(A) I can't answer this because I didn't and don't work for Farmer's Insurance and don't know what your policy coverage is. Only you can make that determination by reading your coverage.

(B) Driver's medical bills are included in Uber's commercial insurance. That's what I meant by 100% coverage.

(C) Your question wasn't specific enough. You just said in any at fault accident, but coverage really depends on what phase you are in on the trip. There's less coverage when you're not actively on a trip and 100% coverage when you are actively on a trip. I had answered saying that if you were actively on a trip, then you'd be covered.

CSRs are not Uber employees, so no, I was not a CSR. I can't specify when I left in case Uber doesn't like me on this forum and want to identify me, but I'm fairly confident most of my knowledge is still applicable (it's possible, but unlikely that so much would have changed so quickly since I left).

Hope that clarifies!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts