Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all I just created this account because I want some advice. I applied to work for Uber yesterday, as I heard they have a leasing program for those who don't have a car of their own and I figured, "hey, this can work for me!"

Now a little information; I been unemployed since December and trying to find work again. I just got out of a break up and am planning to start a new leaf and move to Minneapolis (I moved to Texas for this relationship, why stay if I never wanted to come here on other terms anyway and its over) this summer and finish my education up there.

Now I do have the problem of not having a car and needing to save up enough money to move to Minnesota (at least 1,000 dollars, nothing too crazy but enough money to find a place) and I've been thinking that working for Uber and leasing a car for them might be my best option right now as I won't be able to afford a car, I'm holding on to as much money as I can, still trying to find work. Also, I'd be able to do Uber in Minneapolis so I won't have to stress about when I find a job up there either. I'm still gonna find an actual job but at least I will have something to give me income until I do.

I've read about the leasing with Uber and its benefits and drawbacks. One benefit is that they don't have a cap on mileage which is not only great for moving all the way up north, but 99% of my family is in Florida and I visit them by car pretty much every year. Plus I'll be visiting friends in Texas. That's great to me, compared to other leasing options. However I've read its a lot more expensive and you have to spend 3 years at least working with Uber. Now that itself is not as much an issue for me either, as I have no problem keeping something that will add additional income for 3 years. I also read when the 3 years is up if you want to keep the car you must pay the remaining balance which again, isn't a big deal to me as I don't wanna lease from them so I can keep a car, I just NEED a car right now. I'm fine with saving up to get another car within those 3 years and settling with the other one when the 3 years are up.

I've talked to my aunt and mom about this (though I haven't told them I'm planning to move yet, as I'm waiting to get accepted by the school up there) and they're warning me against it, telling me all the likely drawbacks which are valid, but what do y'all think? I think in my situation it'll be a good deal. Honestly besides school I don't do anything but waste time at home, I might as well be out making money especially being unemployed right now. Also I have concerns about moving to another state as I heard you have to reapply and update your car to the other state so any information about that will be helpful. Do you guys think I should do it, given my situation? I honestly think if I don't, I'm not gonna have a car in Minnesota and it'll make my move a lot more difficult. Shoot, when I moved to my current city in Texas I was also alone without a car and had to schlep around on a bike and it was God awful! I don't wanna do that in a totally new city where I don't know anyone, no matter how bike friendly it is.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Uber lease doesn't require you to lease for 3 years, only minimum of 30 days then you can return it.

Every week, you'll need to drive at least 30 to 40 hours just to pay for the car lease, gas, and insurance.

Don't plan on saving any extra money driving for Uber because you just can't.

It's better to just get a job at Walmart and request an Uber back and forth to work instead of getting a car lease from Uber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uber lease doesn't require you to lease for 3 years, only minimum of 30 days then you can return it.

Every week, you'll need to drive at least 30 to 40 hours just to pay for the car lease, gas, and insurance.

Don't plan on saving any extra money driving for Uber because you just can't.

It's better to just get a job at Walmart and request an Uber back and forth to work instead of getting a car lease from Uber.
Would I not be able to get my own insurance? I was thinking of adding it to the insurance plan that me and my ex already use with his car. How much is the leasing payments? I've talked to drivers who said they make about 160 a day on average. Again, I have a LOT of free time so its not like I won't have the availability to drive. I also live in a booming college town with a lot of students and a lot of bars and there's a lot of Uber use here. I was also thinking that if I lease, I can use that car to also apply for Lyft as I've known drivers who work for both.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wouldn't count on Uber for any money. In my market margins are razor thin and paying to lease a car would make this less than minimum wage.... gl. Lots of good resources on here.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I also live in a booming college town with a lot of students and a lot of bars and there's a lot of Uber use here.
Idk about your college town but in my college town, I stay far far away from those cheap pax as much as possible. They'll waste your time by running you through drive-thru and rarely ever tip. Most college pax live and play within their area so you'll have lots of short trips earning you next to nothing.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
You better make sure the market you want to drive in provides a livable wage. Where I am I can only average 2 rides a day if I'm lucky, and I have to waste gas to drive back home with no pax. Yesterday I was online for 5.5 hours and only had one ride that made me $7.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Would I not be able to get my own insurance? I was thinking of adding it to the insurance plan that me and my ex already use with his car. How much is the leasing payments? I've talked to drivers who said they make about 160 a day on average. Again, I have a LOT of free time so its not like I won't have the availability to drive. I also live in a booming college town with a lot of students and a lot of bars and there's a lot of Uber use here. I was also thinking that if I lease, I can use that car to also apply for Lyft as I've known drivers who work for both.
I have heard that you can't use an Uber leased car for Lyft. If you want to make $160 a day go work for a real taxi or limo service for 12 hours a day.

·
Registered
922 Posts
UberX price details for Minneapolis
Base Fare: $0.45
Per Minute: $0.15
Per Mile: $1
Cancellation Fee: $5
Service Fees: $1.90
Minimum Fare: $6.40

For short trips less than 3 miles and 15 minutes, you'll make $3.38.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts

If she does 48 short trips she will make $160 a day. :D

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
If I were you, I would start with a rental from Uber or Lyft if it's available where you are, to get a feel for it and to see if it's for you. A rental would probably be an extra $300 per month than a lease but it will give you a good idea on how feasible it is for you.

After a couple months of doing it that way, if it still seems viable then go for it.

Just a word of caution though, Uber and Lyft are so secretive you just never know what they are going to do. I lived in Orlando when they launched their leasing program but the prices were at $1.20 per mile which was still fairly decent. Not great but decent. Then after 6 months of everyone getting into a lease they dropped the price to $.65 a mile. There's just no certanty in the rideshare biz so you always need to have an exit strategy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't count on Uber for any money. In my market margins are razor thin and paying to lease a car would make this less than minimum wage.... gl. Lots of good resources on here.
Hmm, would you recommend trying it out for a month and see how it does for me? I don't wanna have to go down this route, but it just seems in my current situation, it seems inviting. I can live in Minneapolis without a car, especially as I've heard they got great public transit, but it'd be a great inconvenience and limit my mobility.

Hmm, would you recommend trying it out for a month and see how it does for me? I don't wanna have to go down this route, but it just seems in my current situation, it seems inviting. I can live in Minneapolis without a car, especially as I've heard they got great public transit, but it'd be a great inconvenience and limit my mobility.
Lol I'm not saying I'll make 160 a day, just that I've spoken to a rider that does. Anyway I made dirt crap at my old job considering my limited working availability. Even if I was to get my old job back, with the amount of free time I have this semestre I wouldn't be able to work so many hours because they didn't even have day time position for me when I worked there, only night shift. I ain't expecting to make a ton of money but more than I'm making now... zero.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Lol I'm not saying I'll make 160 a day, just that I've spoken to a rider that does. Anyway I made dirt crap at my old job considering my limited working availability. Even if I was to get my old job back, with the amount of free time I have this semestre I wouldn't be able to work so many hours because they didn't even have day time position for me when I worked there, only night shift. I ain't expecting to make a ton of money but more than I'm making now... zero.
The guy you talked to... he lied to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The guy you talked to... he lied to you.
She was a retired lady. I don't doubt she has the time to make that much.

I probably COULD possibly make close to 48 short trips a day lol. Lets assume each trip averages about 5-7 minutes. That means about 48 short trips would be two hours worth of driving. I think you don't understand how much free time I have. A LOT. I drove to Oklahoma and back (which took 2 hours in total) the other day just cuz. I have NOTHING to do! lol

Buy a 2006 used car or newer and clean it really good to get started make sure everything works and it will pass inspection. The uber lease is a trap that will enslave you.
If I had the money to do that I would. Sadly I don't.

What are the actual terms for the lease?

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
She was a retired lady. I don't doubt she has the time to make that much.

I probably COULD possibly make close to 48 short trips a day lol. Lets assume each trip averages about 5-7 minutes. That means about 48 short trips would be two hours worth of driving. I think you don't understand how much free time I have. A LOT. I drove to Oklahoma and back (which took 2 hours in total) the other day just cuz. I have NOTHING to do! lol

If I had the money to do that I would. Sadly I don't.

What are the actual terms for the lease?
She lied to you. Did she give you a referral code too? .... But that's not what you want to hear. Ok, I'll cooperate. .

Yeah, definitely lease from Uber. It's a great idea. You'll easily make $200 a day. Maybe more. Everyone who leases from Uber is making a killing. What are you waiting on? You're wasting time here, go get your car. Passengers are already waiting for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She lied to you. Did she give you a referral code too? .... But that's not what you want to hear. Ok, I'll cooperate. .

Yeah, definitely lease from Uber. It's a great idea. You'll easily make $200 a day. Maybe more. Everyone who leases from Uber is making a killing. What are you waiting on? You're wasting time here, go get your car. Passengers are already waiting for you.
Technically, you'll never know if she lied, and neither will I ;) I don't think it matters lol

Number 1, I'm not expecting to make "a killin'" I was just bringing up an example of someone who does pretty well with Uber. Those people do exist. Even if they're outliers. There's servers in restaurants who regularly turn in 100 bucks a night. They do exist.

No she didn't give me a referal code. Stop making assumptions.

Number 2, I'm already hesitant about leasing from Uber. If it really isn't worth it, for my situation, then I won't do it. However, I would do wonderfully without the dickish remarks and baseless assumptions. "She lied to you" even if she did, it ain't impossible to make as much as she says she does. If you spend 8 hours a day driving around DFW I wouldn't be surprised if you end up making a pretty penny at the end of the night. This is North Texas, there's 7 million people living here and a large customer basis. I don't find it hard to believe at all.

Again I just need money and shit change is better than no change, and I'd like a car but if this ain't a good way to do it, I won't do it, but I want actual advise and specifics.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I was being honest with you. If that makes me dickish, then so be it. I'm in Cincinnati, which is similar to Minneapolis. Uber drivers lie about their earnings all the time. It's very common. It's nothing for a server to make $100 in tips alone. That's what you should do. No one tips on Uber.

Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts