Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Short answer . . . .

Its not a No. .. . its a HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
NOT IF YOU ARE DRVING A RENTAL ! Do you understand that drivers doing rideshare in a rental are paid at a lower rate than drivers who are driving their own car ?
this is not true…my vehicle was getting repaired so i rented for 2 weeks…my rate card on uber wss the same…
i would rent if you dont have a eligible car and want to see if you can stomach rideshare… treat it as a trial run… if you go hard you will bank some cash even paying the $250 a week or so

·
Premium Member
3,317 Posts
Maybe. Maybe rent the car for a few months. Then you have to buy a used car. The mileage tax deduction isn't available on rental cars. So you're tax bill will be insane. Maybe work a job until you can get a used car?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
this is not true…my vehicle was getting repaired so i rented for 2 weeks…my rate card on uber wss the same…
i would rent if you dont have a eligible car and want to see if you can stomach rideshare… treat it as a trial run… if you go hard you will bank some cash even paying the $250 a week or so
Wrong Dick ! Copied this excerpt from the article linked below . Pay particular attention to the last point .

Basic Facts about Express Drive, The Lyft Rental Car Program
  • Drivers must be age 25 or older to rent
  • Express Drive rentals start at ~$220 per week
  • Current participating rental companies are Hertz and Flexdrive
  • Drivers must meet Lyft driver requirements
  • Refundable deposit (around $250) is returned when you turn in the car
  • Insurance, routine maintenance, and roadside assistance are included
  • Vehicles are rented by the week
  • Personal use allowed, with limited mileage. Unlimited miles available for extra charge
  • Rentals are first-come-first-served and availability can be low
  • Rental payments are deducted from your weekly earnings
  • Rate card is lower with Express drive in some states: You earn less per mile and minute

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Hello all!

I just downloaded the Uber app, and want to start driving, but am thinking about leasing a car from Hertz through Uber.
What is the process like?
AND, if something happens to the car, do I contact Uber or the people who leased it to me?

Thank you!
Go and buy a 2007 Dodge Caravan for $1000 (beg or borrow it, if you have to) Clean it up and touch up some paint, and drive it to see if your are the 1 in 4 that continues to drive for more than 2 weeks. If you can not make it through the first couple weeks that the AI throws you candy, you may not be cut out for driving. If you can make it, worry about a better car when that $1000 minivan is towed to the junk yard and you actually made some money at it. You will not make money if your going to pay the profits to a car rental company and you still need to buy gas.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Go and buy a 2007 Dodge Caravan for $1000 (beg or borrow it, if you have to) Clean it up and touch up some paint, and drive it to see if your are the 1 in 4 that continues to drive for more than 2 weeks. If you can not make it through the first couple weeks that the AI throws you candy, you may not be cut out for driving. If you can make it, worry about a better car when that $1000 minivan is towed to the junk yard and you actually made some money at it. You will not make money if your going to pay the profits to a car rental company and you still need to buy gas.
You will not find a 2007 anything for $1000 right now with less than 250k miles . I see 2003 Corollas with less than 100k miles right now going for more than $8k . You have a better chance of winning the lottery with that $1000 right now . Thanks for chiming in from the "right" coast though . Btw I just checked the kbb private party sale price for said vehicle with 144k miles on it in good condition in the Chicago area and the number I got was $2940 . I'm sure it will cost more in your neck of the woods ............

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Wrong Dick ! Copied this excerpt from the article linked below . Pay particular attention to the last point .

Basic Facts about Express Drive, The Lyft Rental Car Program
  • Drivers must be age 25 or older to rent
  • Express Drive rentals start at ~$220 per week
  • Current participating rental companies are Hertz and Flexdrive
  • Drivers must meet Lyft driver requirements
  • Refundable deposit (around $250) is returned when you turn in the car
  • Insurance, routine maintenance, and roadside assistance are included
  • Vehicles are rented by the week
  • Personal use allowed, with limited mileage. Unlimited miles available for extra charge
  • Rentals are first-come-first-served and availability can be low
  • Rental payments are deducted from your weekly earnings
  • Rate card is lower with Express drive in some states: You earn less per mile and minute
that is for gryft…for gruber my rate card was the same

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I want to chime in a bit differently then everyone else.
Lease car . Great . Ok tax time. Well uber does not withhold taxes. You only can deduct your lunch gas and car washes . Meaning your pay will be just like a w2 from a regular job !. Meaning for every 400 you earn you must pay about 80 back in taxes ! And you must deduct about 3 dollars for fuel more or less what i cost to drive uber .
So you grind the crap out of yourself Risking a blood clot gaining weight .
Grind and grind 12 hours days 6 days a week. You make 15 bucks an hour a total of 1080 minus 140 dollars in fuel.
Real gross is 940 dollars . Minus tax due a the end of year also two car washes . You take home for 72 hours is 735 dollars. How does that sound for you ? You made 10.20 an hour take home.
Min wage. Ow no i for got about the rental price in my figures . And i think there very accurate for my market .
Rental is 350 a month plus or minus So your new take home is 650 ish so that is 9.27 an hour take home.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Lease car . Great . Ok tax time. Well uber does not withhold taxes. You only can deduct your lunch gas and car washes . Meaning your pay will be just like a w2 from a regular job !. Meaning for every 400 you earn you must pay about 80 back in taxes ! And you must deduct about 3 dollars for fuel more or less what i cost to drive uber .
Grind and grind 12 hours days 6 days a week. You make 15 bucks an hour a total of 1080 minus 140 dollars in fuel.
Real gross is 940 dollars . Minus tax due a the end of year also two car washes . You take home for 72 hours is 735 dollars. How does that sound for you ? You made 10.20 an hour take home.
Min wage. Ow no i for got about the rental price in my figures . And i think there very accurate for my market .
Rental is 350 a month plus or minus So your new take home is 650 ish so that is 9.27 an hour take home.
very true if you rent for a long period of time you will be taxed to death…but for someone who wants to see if they even can stand rideshare and do not have an eligible vehicle its an option for say a month maximum…or if a vet drivers car is in the shop etc its ok for a couple weeks

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
You deduct your lunches?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
7 to 8 years… unless you’re using to drive for Uber, and putting a lot of miles on it
A recycled battery is around 1500-2k including installation. If you're putting that many miles and cannot afford that purchase every few years then it means you're not earning shit so, a battery expense should be the least of your worries.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
NOT IF YOU ARE DRVING A RENTAL ! Do you understand that drivers doing rideshare in a rental are paid at a lower rate than drivers who are driving their own car ?
Seriously? What are you basing that statement on? Not true at all. Convince me otherwise.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
And the
A recycled battery is around 1500-2k including installation. If you're putting that many miles and cannot afford that purchase every few years then it means you're not earning shit so, a battery expense should be the least of your worries.
And the life of a recycled battery is dramatically lower than the life of a used one.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Seriously? What are you basing that statement on? Not true at all. Convince me otherwise.
I would have to teach you to read first , since I posted an excerpt above from an article for which I also provided a link , but alas , I'm not Anne Sullivan .

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
You will not find a 2007 anything for $1000 right now with less than 250k miles . I see 2003 Corollas with less than 100k miles right now going for more than $8k . You have a better chance of winning the lottery with that $1000 right now . Thanks for chiming in from the "right" coast though . Btw I just checked the kbb private party sale price for said vehicle with 144k miles on it in good condition in the Chicago area and the number I got was $2940 . I'm sure it will cost more in your neck of the woods ............
Yeah, you may have to travel a State or two away from IL, but they are there. Try Craigslist.org...

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
You deduct your lunches?
:LOL:
You do not? If you normal breakfast, lunch or dinner occurs when you are driving and you have to eat out, then a portion of that is deductible...

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
:LOL:
You do not? If you normal breakfast, lunch or dinner occurs when you are driving and you have to eat out, then a portion of that is deductible...
You are correct. A portion of your meals are deductible. Unfortunately, the portion that is deductible is 0%.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
You are correct. A portion of your meals are deductible. Unfortunately, the portion that is deductible is 0%.
My Accountant and I had that exact same argument with an IRS Auditor, this was the Auditor's last stand, since he already lost all previous ticks on my 2017 taxes. He swore this is where he would get some extra money for the Fed coffers from me. After shuffling papers and reading the same three lines, five or six times, he called in his supervisor, who read the lines and said an overnight stay is not a requirement, just away from home and unable to be at home during, while on a business activity. The example is misleading in the IRS manual, purposely. Also a meal while talking about business with someone who has the same type business (even if it is one block from your house), is deductible, just make notes of what was discussed, time, date and receipt. So a meal with another driver, a couple times a month, is not out of the realm of a deduction...

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Maybe. Maybe rent the car for a few months. Then you have to buy a used car. The mileage tax deduction isn't available on rental cars. So you're tax bill will be insane. Maybe work a job until you can get a used car?
The mileage deduction isn't available on rental cars, but the cost of the rental, along with cost of having it washed, and gas put into the car IS.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts