Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just downloaded the Uber app, and want to start driving, but am thinking about leasing a car from Hertz through Uber.
What is the process like?
AND, if something happens to the car, do I contact Uber or the people who leased it to me?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Hello all!

I just downloaded the Uber app, and want to start driving, but am thinking about leasing a car from Hertz through Uber.
AND, if something happens to the car, do I contact Uber or the people who leased it to me?

Thank you!
How much is the lease? And what are the terms?

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Ltd
95 Posts
Hello all!

Thank you!
Can't lease a vehicle in PA to Uber

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Looks like you can still rent one. I’m in Texas. They cover you a little while you have a passenger and I put my insurance on for when I don’t. For me it’s $250 a week. Totally worth it if your doing more than 50 hours drive time a week. Hertz pays for repairs through Firestone or pep boys. I’ve gotten tires repaired, car checked, shifter fixed and oil changed approved by hertZ.
58FE2985-6774-4CF2-9746-E2B9E699D725.png

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Don’t listen to these fools ... YOU are the only one that can make that decision. We don’t know your financial history, living status, etc.... crunch the numbers and see it looks like ? On Uber X just use 20$ an hour as a base line for your calculations. IMO buying a used Prius would be best.

With that being said if you need to save up some money first in order to buy a vehicle I think leasing would be a good option. Put in some mega hours and get it done !

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Don’t listen to these fools ... YOU are the only one that can make that decision. We don’t know your financial history, living status, etc.... crunch the numbers and see it looks like ? On Uber X just use 20$ an hour as a base line for your calculations. IMO buying a used Prius would be best.

With that being said if you need to save up some money first in order to buy a vehicle I think leasing would be a good option. Put in some mega hours and get it done !
$20/hr ? Not if you're leasing a car .
I just love it when people answer a question you didn't ask .
The reasons he's asking if he should lease a car to do rideshare is : 1) He does not currently own a car or a car that qualifies for rideshare 2) He does not have the money to buy a new or used car
IMO used cars , if you can find one , are extremely overpriced at the moment and prices are still rising . The CPI numbers came out this week and used car prices rose 7.8% in May alone . I was looking at a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE with 110k miles for $5k last year . The same car now is going for a least $7k , if you're lucky .

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
1) No, you shouldn’t.
2)The process is: you go to their location, sign some papers, they giving you some shitty car.
3) They don’t do lease but renting you a car on weekly basis.
4) You have a liability up to certain amount, a few thousand I think, you need to do some research on it.
5) You aren’t leasing car from Uber, but from Hertz.

·
Premium Member
7,737 Posts
Hello all!

The answer to the question that's in your subject line is "No."

I believe that the only way to even get close is if you drive a LOT of hours per week for Uber.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Here are your options, in order of best option, to worst option:
1) buy a used car (anything but a Prius)
2) buy a new car (anything but a Prius)
3) lease a car
4) borrow a car from your mom
5) run to the pick up location, put the pax on your back, and give them a piggy back ride to their destination (phone in one hand, all their luggage in the other)
6) buy a Prius

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Again ... don’t listen to these fools. They have no idea what your current situation is or which market you are in. Uber can have vastly different earnings from market to market.

The rental idea is a means to an end. Long term it’s just not realistically feasible because of the alternative which is owning. But if you aren’t ready for that yet go for a rental for a bit. Just make sure you are ready for a super grind because of the upfront fees you will owe which will take a big bite out of your income.

The best advice I can give you though is to get going !!! Don’t sit around and think about it or post on this forum and waste your time with these trolls. This is the easiest job ever but it’s a grind. You only make money if the wheels are moving.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I think the idea is that 20$ Hr is the baseline. Deduct all other cost's from that figure.
NOT IF YOU ARE DRVING A RENTAL ! Do you understand that drivers doing rideshare in a rental are paid at a lower rate than drivers who are driving their own car ?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I would say no. However, a lot of this will depemnd on your market and your propensity to adapt and learn the market and the lay of the land. for instance, i live in las vegas,there is never a shortage of rides,but, the question is are you profiting or just turning dollars? I have developed an efficient way of dialing in on the best outcome when it comes to uber's way of dangling the carrot. In a way it's fun most of the time because i usually come out way ahead of people just staging at ceasars, aria,etc. Im pretty sure it costs about 270 a week here to use that program. If you are seasoned that number is not a problem,but, if you are just starting out it will seem like a huge burden until you become familiar with your market. In summation try it out,but my initial answer is still no.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
NOT IF YOU ARE DRVING A RENTAL ! Do you understand that drivers doing rideshare in a rental are paid at a lower rate than drivers who are driving their own car ?
I just saw this post, this makes a huge difference. I wasn't aware of this. How much less? You have to do your research.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts