Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not only a uber driver but a uber rider. I have heard numerous horror stories who have accepted long distance drives as drivers from DC to Brooklyn or Queens and lose money driving for 4 hours and coming back empty? How do I negotiate with the rider for a tip to make the trip worthwhile financially?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Just don't. Unless the rider is desperate to get to where they are going, it will not be pleasant.

Here in KC, I refused my first ride ever. From KCI to Manhattan, KS (where Kansas State is).

130 miles one way. Uber wants $163 for that. My take would have been ~$100.

$200 might have been worthwhile, but I don't want to have that conversation. Easier to just say nope, no thanks, and take the next ping.

[NG]Owner

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Most wont pay the return trip needs... Some might call uber and say your extorting them.

Best to decline if at all possible. Uber has been not giving the airport long trip notice here a lot. So ya dont know till its to late.

·
25,038 Posts
Just don't. Unless the rider is desperate to get to where they are going, it will not be pleasant.

$200 might have been worthwhile, but I don't want to have that conversation. Easier to just say nope, no thanks, and take the next ping.
only way it would be feasible is to negotiate a return gratuity
anything that isn't upfront and in cash is just a ghost story.
Most wont pay the return trip needs... Some might call uber and say your extorting them. Best to decline if at all possible.
They could even be very pleasant and even give you the cash, THEN complain to Uber. You sit there, shaking your head, totally amazed. "But they AGREED to it!". They did, with the intention of complaining later. You simply decline. I would not do a one hundred fifteen mile trip for two hundred dollars. That is going to cost two hundred fifty dollars, minimum. This assumes no tolls.

Washington to New York is five hundred dollars minimum. Add to that the tolls both ways.

Reactions: New2This

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I think my longest ride was 70 miles, or something. I haven't even been given the chance to take some 180 mile ride.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Politely declined and explain the pax that you wont be able to get a ride back to your area, and all the extra gas and mileage will be on you. If they ask how much will the extra be, tell them how much you would like them to pay you extra. If they dont ask or just decline your offer, just cancel and move on. There's always an idiot willing to take those rides, but these days it may take a while for the pax to get one. If they want to wait for one, good for them.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Never do it. You probably can't pick up a passenger in that state, so essentially you are signing up for a round trip and earning 1/2 what you think. And you are on the hook for any return tolls.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Politely declined and explain the pax that you wont be able to get a ride back to your area, and all the extra gas and mileage will be on you. If they ask how much will the extra be, tell them how much you would like them to pay you extra. If they dont ask or just decline your offer, just cancel and move on. There's always an idiot willing to take those rides, but these days it may take a while for the pax to get one. If they want to wait for one, good for them.
NO. Just say " I don't have time to complete a long trip. Uber doesn't tell us where you are going in advance. I am sorry." Then drive away immediately. Don't try to extort the passenger

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The longer the trip the more likely the pax will make up a lie to get out of paying the fare. So anything that isn't upfront and in cash is just a ghost story.
You are correct friend. I have learned in the past to never believe the line, "I will tip you in the app." 80 percent are lies.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
I am always down for a nice round of extortion!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I did this once but it worked out well. The passenger was desperate and had claimed to have been at the airport for over two hours. She generously gave me the cash equivalent of a bus ticket fare and a tank of gas. With my fare, she'd have spent less catching a bus. Pleasant...slept most of the way. Additional $25 in the app afterwards too. 1-1/2 hr. drive...let out at curb, back on the road home an hour1/2. So dead miles were compensated. I won't do it again though. Certainly counted my blessings! Who knew I'd get a ride like that at 3am?🙄

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did this once but it worked out well. The passenger was desperate and had claimed to have been at the airport for over two hours. She generously gave me the cash equivalent of a bus ticket fare and a tank of gas. With my fare, she'd have spent less catching a bus. Pleasant...slept most of the way. Additional $25 in the app afterwards too. 1-1/2 hr. drive...let out at curb, back on the road home an hour1/2. So dead miles were compensated. I won't do it again though. Certainly counted my blessings! Who knew I'd get a ride like that at 3am?🙄
Nice!

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
I've done it twice to good effect. Both were roughly 125 mile one way trips, both were XL and I got $100 and $120 cash up front. In both cases (and a few others I have turned down) I start out with I'm sorry I can't do this ride, then explain how I am losing money. If they ask what would it take, I give them my price. All of this is on dash cam and is allowed under TOS if you are leaving your service region last time I checked.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I literally look at people and before even loading them say where we off to…. Oh Melbourne. They would stop me and whisper we will cash pay the rate I would cancel and we would be off. If they gave me lip I wouldn’t say no and cancel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts