Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Uber Marketplace there are now Thrifty and Hertz that are offering short term renting periods, 7 days & 3 days respectively. When you pick the car up and have it inspected by Uber and then have Uber get the registration documents from the Rental company wouldn't a few days have passed. Making it unprofitable?

Does anyone have experience with using these, how long did it take you from picking up the car to have the car approved to drive for Uber?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with short term rentals but I do have 2nd hand info.

If the vehicle is already on the books at Uber, all that is needed is a visit to the greenhub and you are good to go. Still can take hours, depending on where you pick the car up from or how busy Uber happens to be. If this is the first time the vehicle is rented, you have to get it inspected and waste even more hours.

At the very least be Gold or Platinum, to skip ahead of the queue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also worth noting that if it's a 2017 you have no need to go to an uber centre to get the vehicle checked out. Upload the docs given to you by the rental company and your on the road in as long as it takes uber to take care of it. Took about 3hrs for me with one of the cars I rented

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got a rental car from Hertz previously and no need for Uber inspection. Just upload the docs as rads mentioned and within a few hours, youre on the road. Pretty straight forward from my experience. Not too sure if requirement has changed though as mine was in Dec 16

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is what I did (I rent with Thrifty):

Registered with Uber (as far as I could get through the registration process without having a car)
Booked the car
Picked up the car
Drove straight from the rental place to Uber Greenlight Hub at Concord
Got the car uploaded and driver profile activated on the spot
Started driving

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

Registered with Uber (as far as I could get through the registration process without having a car)
Booked the car
Picked up the car
Got the car uploaded and driver profile activated on the spot
Started driving
Basically that was my experience on my first hire car with Hertz, except it was a 6/2016 Camry and needed to be inspected. I picked up the car at 10am drove to Concord and had my first ping at 12.45pm.
So far have had 4 cars from Hertz. The 2nd to 4th were all 2017 models. Just drove to Concord, they uploaded the details and I was back on the road acceping pings in 40 min.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up the car
On the Hertz registration they are asking how many hours do you expect to drive. What did you put, I am worried about putting the wrong number.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I currently rent with hertz. Dont think they asked me that question though. I'm sure they were just asking to make sure your aware of the 1400km per week limit before it goes to the 18c per km. Nothing too worry about

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
On the Hertz registration they are asking how many hours do you expect to drive. What did you put, I am worried about putting the wrong number.
Just booked a car from Hertz to pick up on Monday but it did not ask me anything about how many hours I was expecting to drive.
I'm going with the weekly rental with the 1400km limit until the car I want from another company is ready to be collected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you anyone suggest whose name is listed with Comprehensive Insurance for rental cars.I understand we will still be liable for excess when driving uber with rental cars but whose name will be listed as a driver under these policies?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Can you anyone suggest whose name is listed with Comprehensive Insurance for rental cars.I understand we will still be liable for excess when driving uber with rental cars but whose name will be listed as a driver under these policies?
The person who is listed on the rental agreement.
Hertz give you a insurance certificate for the car you hire and it will cover whoever is listed on the rental agreement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maven Gig is a good option as well for car rental. You get unlimited miles and insurance and routine maintenance are included. You can also drive for any ridesharing or delivery service with them.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Maven Gig is a good option as well for car rental. You get unlimited miles and insurance and routine maintenance are included. You can also drive for any ridesharing or delivery service with them.
You also should look at the insurance excess.
Some can be reduced from $3500 to $350, other are still at $1000 or $1500 per instance.
You need to select what you think is a far to you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
On the Uber Marketplace there are now Thrifty and Hertz that are offering short term renting periods, 7 days & 3 days respectively. When you pick the car up and have it inspected by Uber and then have Uber get the registration documents from the Rental company wouldn't a few days have passed. Making it unprofitable?

Does anyone have experience with using these, how long did it take you from picking up the car to have the car approved to drive for Uber?
Pick up car. Drive to Uber. New car, no inspection. Car on books no inspection. Even with car inspection no longer than 60 min. The rental company can put the car on Uber's books from their computer. Makes sure you get unlimited mileage

·
Registered
580 Posts
Basically that was my experience on my first hire car with Hertz, except it was a 6/2016 Camry and needed to be inspected. I picked up the car at 10am drove to Concord and had my first ping at 12.45pm.
So far have had 4 cars from Hertz. The 2nd to 4th were all 2017 models. Just drove to Concord, they uploaded the details and I was back on the road acceping pings in 40 min.
Would you mine me to ask, how much for 2017 models ? Thank you

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Would you mine me to ask, how much for 2017 models ? Thank you
I was paying $296.00 per week for a Camry with 1400km per week (200/day)
I took the long term option and rented for 30 days.
When they change the long term to unlimited km it went up to about $345.00 per week and I moved to another rental company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts