Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the ping came in, was the upfront pricing much higher? Customer tip bait?
I'm in a bind right now because there was one time I couldn't get the app to take me offline and I had to decline over a dozen trip requests and I could really use the Pro right now.

Also, I did the same for my first Connect trip, and though it didn't pay well it wasn't anything like this Shop and Pay. I don't have high expectations for the first time I try something, but Shop and Pay has too many variables, like the order having a hard to find item I have to hunt all over the store to find; two checkers with long lines and self-checkout full with people who have no idea how to scan a barcode, plus 20% of self-ceckout terminals are OOC.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I have actually seen DD lower offers on second and third round passes to me… of course I refused
I saw the same thing the other day. DD offered $14 and then a minute or two later they cut their offer to $10.

Uber Eats used to do that occasionally a few years ago. Apparently the scumbag behavioral psychologists these companies hire to create ways to manipulate the drivers believe that lowering the offer may push some drivers into accepting shitty offers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will probably never understand Uber's business model because I usually view the production resources as the most valuable part of a business.

If I go by Uber's metrics that they assign to me, they are communicating that I am a valuable resource, but their metrics will clearly show a single $6.31/hr Shop & Pay and then never selecting the service ever again.

I'm obviously inexperienced on what is required to make money when looking at a delivery trip request, but the store was <2 miles from where I was and the dropoff was <2 miles from the store. I can accept that the first time I'm going through the app to perform a service I'm going to be slower and the pay low, and that's fine, but the actual problems with this order are clearly to do with the entire Shop & Pay process of order completion having too many variables that I cannot predict. Even going by metrics that other people post, I think it would be easy to lose money or make a lot less than even UberX, because the time periods the stores are busy with long lines are the same time periods that surge is high. I can make exactly the amount of a Shop & Pay during surge with the surge from an additional UberX ride, plus the actual UberX ride fare and possibly even a tip thrown in.

They have to rethink this or I think they are going to get the worst drivers who don't pay attention to detail and pick the wrong items at the store, don't bother finding items not in the obvious locations, cancel the Shop & Pay when they discover the lines are taking too long, or take off with the groceries because the dropoff location is almost impossible to find (as was also the case with the above ride - there was a wall that neither Google or Uber are aware of so I had to find a completely different entrance to the neighborhood to get to the house).

I'm also fairly confident that what everyone else is posting about UberEats, where the driver just goes in and picks up an order and then delivers it, without having to find each item in the store and stand in line to pay for it, is not the same as what I am describing with the Shop & Pay.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I dabbled in Instacart in the early parts of 2020. For a "minimal" order, meaning very short drive to store, very short time IN the store, and very short drive to delivery address, I still wouldn't have accepted such an order for anything less than $15 or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dabbled in Instacart in the early parts of 2020. For a "minimal" order, meaning very short drive to store, very short time IN the store, and very short drive to delivery address, I still wouldn't have accepted such an order for anything less than $15 or so.
Right, so you would be happy with $15/ hr, but for me I net more on the rides. My purpose was just to figure out how the service works and a small order is better because it should cut less out of ride time.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Right, so you would be happy with $15/ hr, but for me I net more on the rides. My purpose was just to figure out how the service works and a small order is better because it should cut less out of ride time.
$15/hr? No... I wouldn't have been happy with that at all. Allow me to clarify. I was imagining this sort of scenario:

"very short drive to store" = 5 minutes
"very short time IN store" = 15 minutes
"very short drive to dropoff" = 5 minutes

Total time = 25 minutes
Gross pay = $15
Gross pay/hr = $36/hr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts