Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 20 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GPS fails from ten to 20 times a day reboots or announces GPS signal lost. It lags behind my movements so I often get a turn command after I pass the street I need. It often sends me to an adjacent street or alley. Doesn't recognise one way streets. Creates alleys where none exist. Places my next rider on the wrong side of the street. Announces arrivals 150 to 200 get from pickup or drop-off. Waze is worse than Google maps.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Er...hardly ever. I use my brain or occasionally car nav if I'm pulled out into suburbs and subdivisions. If a pax wants Waze or Google maps I'll do it but it's on them. I've had many a pax say they wished they'd just let me drive.

It has to be difficult trying to do this and relying on phone gps. Dangerous, too.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
I see you're in LA but here in the Phx. market, Waze is 10x better than Google. You definitely have to pay attention, especially around apartment complexes, Hospitals, and Resorts. When I see a range of addresses I just go to the pin and once the GPS says you've arrived, I stop. If the idiot pax want me to find them they better either text or call because I won't make an effort to track them down. 5min. cxl no show.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I get the GPS signal lost quite often. Often it will be in area with a cell tower nearby. I don't know why.

It would be one thing if it just lost signal, but it will often make a route change for no reason when it loses signal.

For example I was traveling westbound on the 91 freeway. My exit was several miles ahead and suddenly the phone tells me to exit at the next offramp. I glance at the phone and don't see anything ahead which would require a detour and suddenly the GPS corrects itself. If I had not know where I was going I would have screwed up and taken the exit.

I compensate for this by looking ahead at the entire route to give myself an overview of where I'm going. If things get real bad I have a Garmin as a backup. I turn the volume to zero and just have it running side by side with the app. If the Garmin and the phone disagree I follow the Garmin. So my Garmin is silent and my phone is talking to me via a Bluetooth earpiece so I look like I know what I'm doing.

Typing the address in to the Garmin can be awkward but if I feel I need to do it I'll ask the pax for their destination prior to starting the trip and explain that we're having GPS issues and I need an accurate electronic record of my route for insurance purposes and don't want them to get charged while I'm typing in the address. This seems to work just fine for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts