Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Man, that is awful. We have a similar situation in Austin. Though I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested, just ticketed, and impounded. Likely the airport is out to get us because they are pals with the cab company. I've done some drop offs making the pax sit up front, but I don't do pickups whatsoever.

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
That sucks! Feel for you man. I hope everything works out okay. I'd bet they just wanted to throw a scare into the Uber drivers.

At least you have Uber on your side...uh, guess that doesn't make you feel a lot better.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
@Hell Razor sorry you had to go through this. Uber will provide you with an attorney, and pay for your fines. You need to send them an email asking to be compensated for your lost time while being arrested, and during hearings. Also DEMAND that Uber pay for expungement of this charge after the case is over. Also ask Uber why it failed in it's responsibility to the drivers by keeping them informed of this now days old development in enforcement action at RDU?

Rideshare drivers are unwitting foot soldiers, and even cannon fodder at times, in the war between regulators & the companies. I think it's irresponsible of Uber not to notify and keep the drivers in the dark an about developments in local regulatory and enforcement landscape. But Uber never informs the drivers about newly announced or ongoing enforcement actions. It just pays for the fines, legal fees etc. But an arrest is a serious black mark on an individual's record. It may not go away even if the charges are dismissed. How can Uber ever make an arrested driver whole again, as this arrest might encumber the driver in securing employment in the future!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...rs-square-off-about-rdu-raleigh.html?page=all

http://www.wral.com/rdu-cites-ride-sharing-services-as-illegal-taxis/14019999/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-airport-could-face-trespassing.html?page=all

Drivers need to keep on top of the almost daily developments in the regulatory and enforcement landscape, because Uber doesn't feel that it's important to keep the drivers informed. Just go to Google news and search for 'Uber + your local market' every day. Leave a comment in the news article with a clickable link to http://UberPeople.net to make other drivers aware of the existence of this forum. Then post the news article on either the Monthly News thread, or in your city's section.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Rideshare drivers are unwitting foot soldiers, and even cannon fodder at times, in the war between regulators & the companies. I think it's irresponsible of Uber not to notify and keep the drivers in the dark an about developments in local regulatory and enforcement landscape. But Uber never informs the drivers about newly announced or ongoing enforcement actions.

Drivers need to keep on top of the almost daily developments in the regulatory and enforcement landscape, because Uber doesn't feel that it's important to keep the drivers informed. Just go to Google news and search for 'Uber + your local market' every day. Leave a comment in the news article with a clickable link to http://UberPeople.net to make other drivers aware of the existence of this forum. Then post the news article on either the Monthly News thread, or in your city's section.
The only information I received from Uber was that it was mandatory to put an Uber sign inside the window when online or with riders. (I set mine on the dash. NOT putting it on the window. Sorry Mr. Pohliceman. It's unsafe to block my view.)

I also heard from another driver here that there is a time online limitation in my state. NEVER heard that from Uber. And I often take 13-15 hour days, which I NOW understand is over the limit. I take less of these now, but when the fish are running it's hard to quit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can't begin to imagine a S*W*A*T team in North Carolina .. but this is still BULLSHIT for the driver! I'd love to see or hear the video. Be sure to keep us up to date .. details, my man ... how many days arrested .. how long it took Uber lawyers to talk to you, etc. Uber just hired some powerhouse lawyers .. sounds like they knew something like this was coming.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I can't begin to imagine a S*W*A*T team in North Carolina .. but this is still BULLSHIT for the driver! I'd love to see or hear the video. Be sure to keep us up to date .. details, my man ... how many days arrested .. how long it took Uber lawyers to talk to you, etc. Uber just hired some powerhouse lawyers .. sounds like they knew something like this was coming.
I believe @Hell Razor was let out on an I Bond after being booked at the police station. He didn't have to post the bail amount, just had to sign the I Bond.

·
Banned
1,689 Posts
That sucks! Feel for you man. I hope everything works out okay. I'd bet they just wanted to throw a scare into the Uber drivers.

At least you have Uber on your side...uh, guess that doesn't make you feel a lot better.
One better. Put a case and conviction on the books to support future actions. Go big is the new standard.

Oh...and one more thing....you never have to answer any investigation question. " i do not feel comfortable answering any questions with out the presence of my attorney " should be the standard answer. After that...name, address, date of birth. You do have that right.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Rideshare drivers are unwitting foot soldiers, and even cannon fodder at times, in the war between regulators & the companies.
And to add insult to injury, within months of gaining regulatory approval, Uber continually lowers the rates, and floods the market with new drivers in order to gain market share. It does this to such an extent that these drivers are reduced to making poverty level wages after correctly accounting for all associated costs!

The Payment Statement for Rachel Galindo for the period ending at September 29, 2014 at 04:00am is available at: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6C244C4E29A11BC!153316&authkey=!AETB-NeoifAHybI&ithint=file%2cpdf

https://m.facebook.com/RachelGal90201?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

Facial expression Rectangle Font Line Material property

·
Registered
529 Posts
One better. Put a case and conviction on the books to support future actions. Go big is the new standard.

Oh...and one more thing....you never have to answer any investigation question. " i do not feel comfortable answering any questions with out the presence of my attorney " should be the standard answer. After that...name, address, date of birth. You do have that right.
My 6-year old niece probably can write better than this...

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Man, that is awful. We have a similar situation in Austin. Though I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested, just ticketed, and impounded. Likely the airport is out to get us because they are pals with the cab company. I've done some drop offs making the pax sit up front, but I don't do pickups whatsoever.
That is a complete load of garbage. All of us, (black car) pay our fricking usage fees which are part of facilities, and security funding. You have absolutely no operating authority out there without a permit. I am really getting sick and tired of hearing how this is all about taxicabs. You want to pick up at the airport? Get a permit, and then do so. If and when Uberx is granted permission to operate, you will want other rogue operators to pay their dues as well. These civil disobedience jerks are going to screw up the airport for all of us if they don't knock it off. They are completely overwhelmed and something will snap soon.

1,974 Posts
I am really getting sick and tired of hearing how this is all about taxicabs.
Who/where was it said that this is ALL about taxicabs? You are the one that keeps talking about the poor abused taxi company owners. As far as Uber/Lyft.....yes they should take care of the usage fees. They certainly are making enough off of every fare and some of THAT profit should be used to keep us legal.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Who/where was it said that this is ALL about taxicabs? You are the one that keeps talking about the poor abused taxi company owners. As far as Uber/Lyft.....yes they should take care of the usage fees. They certainly are making enough off of every fare and some of THAT profit should be used to keep us legal.
If you read the post to which I replied, you will see that he referred to cabs. Cab=taxi and I have never specifically referred to any poor, abused taxi companies , I have, however, defended the many owners and operators of cab companies as well as black car companies like my own who have played by the rules, and are getting screwed. The taxi fares at the airport are fairly minimal, less then half of what our fees are. We have to go through staging inspection for every pick up, and pay $2.50 per trip, AND we have to have city stickers to be able to get there. But, in the meantime, the Uber X drivers are not legal in the city, nor are they legal at the airport. So anyone whining about being ticketed in Austin gets no sympathy, or empathy from me. They entered into a really bad contract, but no one forced them to. One could argue that we too entered into a bad contract by becoming operators in the city, because that left us subject to the on going rule changes made by corrupt/ignorant politicians. However, since we did know that was the nature of the business, we are obligated to pay our dues, and work to change the system as we do so. Uber drivers, as independent operators should do the same. Why should they received any special exemptions? Because they take to the streets and operate illegally? That is not a good enough reason in my book.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
@Hell Razor sorry you had to go through this. Uber will provide you with an attorney, and pay for your fines. You need to send them an email asking to be compensated for your lost time while being arrested, and during hearings. Also DEMAND that Uber pay for expungement of this charge after the case is over. Also ask Uber why it failed in it's responsibility to the drivers by keeping them informed of this now days old development in enforcement action at RDU?

Rideshare drivers are unwitting foot soldiers, and even cannon fodder at times, in the war between regulators & the companies. I think it's irresponsible of Uber not to notify and keep the drivers in the dark an about developments in local regulatory and enforcement landscape. But Uber never informs the drivers about newly announced or ongoing enforcement actions. It just pays for the fines, legal fees etc. But an arrest is a serious black mark on an individual's record. It may not go away even if the charges are dismissed. How can Uber ever make an arrested driver whole again, as this arrest might encumber the driver in securing employment in the future!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...rs-square-off-about-rdu-raleigh.html?page=all

http://www.wral.com/rdu-cites-ride-sharing-services-as-illegal-taxis/14019999/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-airport-could-face-trespassing.html?page=all

The problem is, Uber just lies. And politicians stand on the sidelines and allow them to. Few in government seem to have the balls to stand up and say "oh no you don't" hell, they are an official transportation provider at ACL. WTH??? They are operating completely illegally. They are banking on Austin not having the willpower to enforce its laws.

1,974 Posts
Likely the airport is out to get us because they are pals with the cab company.
The airport is not pals with the cab companies. They are making money off of the cab companies (and the airlines and the passengers) . Why wouldn't the airports insist on ALSO making money off of ride sharing companies? The problem isn't that the airport is corrupt....it's Uber/Lyft hasn't negotiated agreements with the airports and in the mean time we (the drivers) are violating local laws/regulations while Uber/Lyft is sticking their profits in their pockets instead of kicking money to the airport like everyone else who operates on their property has to.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.