Uber Drivers Forum banner

SF Red Light Cameras are Back -- You've been warned!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  5070bolo 
#1 ·

"The first functional, upgraded red-light camera was installed at Fourth and Harrison streets Wednesday (full list at bottom of story). There's a 30-day grace period required by California law, which means if you're caught running a red at the intersection you'll get a warning notice in the mail. But after those 30 days are up, real citations will be issued for any violations caught on camera. "

Where you ask?

1. 6th Street at Bryant Street (eastbound, southbound directions)
  2. 19th Avenue at Sloat Boulevard (northbound, southbound)
  3. Fell Street at Masonic Avenue (westbound)
  4. Hayes Street at Polk Street (southbound, westbound)
  5. Market Street at Octavia Boulevard (eastbound illegal right turns)
  6. Oak Street at Octavia Boulevard (cameras will be used to enforce "NO RIGHT TURN" signs in eastbound, northbound, eastbound right-turn lanes)
  7. Park Presidio Boulevard at Lake Street (southbound)
  8. South Van Ness Avenue at 14th Street (northbound)
  9. 4th Street at Harrison Street (southbound, westbound)
  10. 6th Street at Folsom Street (southbound)
  11. 8th Street at Folsom Street (southbound)
  12. Divisadero Street at Bush Street (northbound)
  13. Van Ness Avenue at Broadway (southbound left turn lanes)

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, cuz our society can't decide if we want to maintain our liberty from constant surveillance or if we want to catch every single transgression against the law, even if it's just someone who sped up on yellow & mis-timed. So those cameras are a sort of legal grey area where it's not so fair if you don't know there's a camera, cuz normally you'd look for cops. Or u can say "they ran a red light, they get a fine, the same fine for a lemon squeezer as for someone who straight ran a red light risking major wreckage".

30 days of warnings is the compromise instead of just not having cameras at all or going full logic-nazi. Logic is what tells you this 30 days thing is absurd. But cold logic is a horrible way to govern people.

Unfortunately the stupid people who believe they're smart cuz "facts don't care about yr feelings", think logic is the highest ideal, & they're taken way too seriously. & so we're all doomed. U can read a lot into rules around red light cameras, when you got sociological imagination. & the best we can do is ridiculous concessions like 30 days of warnings. Please destroy every law enforcement camera you find. I don't have the guts to enforce my own convictions. I will appreciate others that do tho.

#10 ·
I feel like vandals should target these things. We’ve all seen graffiti in places where you can only admire how some dude even got there to spray paint. If I saw some kid tagging a garage door, I’m inclined to call that in. If some kid is climbing an intersection camera pole to deface or destroy, sorry but my only thought is going to be, “victimless crime.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.