Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple weeks ago i had to police tail me a few blocks. I even made some random turns to make sure it wasn't paranoia.

Today a couple police pulled up as I was picking up a pax on an empty street with my flashers on and warned me to pull over farther next time. She said I see your an uber driver. 'You guys always stop with your flashers in the road and block traffic' or something to that effect.

Was she talking to me because I was a citizen who didn't pull over far enough or because I was an uber driver not pulling over far enough?

I thought it was illegal for police to let profiling a group of people determine who they pull over.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Uber driver is not a protected class. If I can't pull all the way over in front of the pick up location and they are not outside ready to go, I will drive down the street until I can find a spot to pull over.
As someone who drives in SF (not as an Uber driver, but as a person who shares the environment, but mostly only driving while doing Uber), thank you for treating us other people in the world, with respect.

Couple weeks ago i had to police tail me a few blocks. I even made some random turns to make sure it wasn't paranoia.

Today a couple police pulled up as I was picking up a pax on an empty street with my flashers on and warned me to pull over farther next time. She said I see your an uber driver. 'You guys always stop with your flashers in the road and block traffic' or something to that effect.

Was she talking to me because I was a citizen who didn't pull over far enough or because I was an uber driver not pulling over far enough?

I thought it was illegal for police to let profiling a group of people determine who they pull over.
Yes he profiled you. But it's basically Uber/Lyft drivers doing this constantly, so now we all will suffer. All day every day there are so many streets where the traffic is backed up cuz of this (not talking the quick stop, get in, & go). Some blocks there are 3 cars all just sitting in the street, on a single block. And who knows how many Uber eats are why there are more double parked cars with no one in it, but I see Uber drivers who stop in the street even though the curb is open right there. I drive around them, try to look them in the face and point to the curb, but they all put their head down or turn away (yeah, I'm a jerk, whatever).

My crazy self was writing Uber emails about 2 years ago telling them the back ground check hysteria was their small problem. Because the public will be hating Uber one day because of how their drivers are behaving on the streets, not because 1 out of 100k drivers maybe did or didn't rape someone, or give them a creepy stare. Well, it's happened. And of course, the police that are sick of it will be more inclined to over react and maybe get someone who didn't deserve it at the time, like maybe you. We all make that mistake in life. It doesn't matter if he said waht he said, cuz he's nearly right (except it's not all of us), and he's the one tasked with taking care of that problem, Uber or not.

And we all have to listen to the pax who say "well my other uber drivers do it" when I'm calling them to say there's no place to stop where their pin is at, please walk over to this place. Sunday I saw some driver on Castro tween Market and 18th, just sitting there and laughing while a line of cars backed up the entire block behind him and honked. He just laughed like it was soooo funny. I'm sure that was guilt & shame, but he was so demented by this point in his life that those normal feelings have been twisted in to maniacal laughter instead of questioning his behavior. Either way, c'mon people. All those saying it takes no skill and any idiot can do this. That's the problem. It's not true. Of course, any idiot can sign up, but it isn't making the service as good as some of us hoped it could have been when we signed up 3 years ago and set out to make the new thing into something cool. Not that Uber ins't to blame for that not ending up the case. But don't be good for Uber's sake, just do it to be a decent person to those you share the city with. I don't drive to Sacramento and act like a jerk just cuz I don't live there. Crazy does live in Sacramento, but it seems he still behaves decently here. I recently told a pax that we have the same rights as any private driver, we're not taxis, nor should we be since there is no limit to how many of us can be out there, and he sounded sincerely surprised and told me many of his drivers don't act like that's the case.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts

Way too many Uber drivers think that emergency flashers are stop anywhere flashers and are constantly blocking traffic and creating hazards. If there's a place to pull over, do it. Block a driveway or whatever, but don't stop in a lane of traffic and wait. Circle the block of you have do, but don't block traffic!! I've started yelling at other drivers, *****ed out an idiot in a new Prius just this morning on Polk. This idiot just stopped in the middle of the lane, he didn't try to get close to the parked cars.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Never been harassed by cops.

Just stop blocking roads?

Common sense?

Make your pax walk a bit, get them a lil exercise. If they dont want to walk, drive by them as you cancel the ride.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Never been harassed by cops.

Just stop blocking roads?

Common sense?

Make your pax walk a bit, get them a lil exercise. If they dont want to walk, drive by them as you cancel the ride.
Well said. But Uber needs to change the rating system.

Drove past a passenger who was waving at me. He comes over to the car.....didn't zyou see me waving at you?

Yup....you were standing in a bus stop. Didn't you see the bus right behind me and the DPT person standing.....RIGHT NEXT TO YOU?????

Oh..yea....never mind.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This afternoon a passenger's apartment was right along a bus stop. I pull into the nearest driveway, about 4 car-lengths away and wait in plain view. The passenger comes out of his front door, stands at the bus stop, looks right at me and continues to stand there waiting for me to come over to him. It was a dick move on his part as he was clearly going to show me who is the boss. I wait until timeout then text him that I cannot pick up passengers in the bus stop and that I had to move along as we'd already timed out.

Buh bye, boss...

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Yes! Maybe we should start taking photos and create a wall of shame.
Self-Regulate. Clean out the bad drivers. I take a picture of every single TNC vehicle incident including speeds over eighty miles an hour and reckless driving. I capture my HUD (speed and other things) in the photo.

Photos get forwarded to Local PD.

If you do not have a TCP, taxi or bus stay out of the taxi zone. You will be cited.

If you do not have commercial plates, do not double park or park in yellow areas. You will be cited.

You do not signal or change lanes in an intersection you will be cited.

Pickups and drop offs Bart, on Mission or Market non white zone. $105 Christmas Card.

Yes, even the good drivers and passengers are sick of bad drivers.

As far as profiling. Wrong word.

It it called reasonable suspicion and/or probable cause. You have no right to privacy or search and seizure while driving, especially in a regulated space.

Better to be model citizens now and going forward from this crackdown on.

Again, Self- Regulate.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Taking a photo while you capture your speed in your hud. Lol. Sounds like youre even more of a danger. As youre violating the hands free law.

So youre using your camera while you drive. Sounds like youre a menace too biggerdog
Said the person who doesn't like their picture taken because of all their infractions.

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Multiple phones and mounted.
It saves me the time from pulling the SSD drive and transferring the realtime video from the 360 cameras.

Airports - Put it to the 1) curb and 2) parallel every time or you will be cited. Nothing pisses off the undercover PDs there more than reckless TNC drivers.

In answer to the above troll. Perfect pull report and perfect record likely longer than you have been alive.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Self-Regulate. Clean out the bad drivers. I take a picture of every single TNC vehicle incident including speeds over eighty miles an hour and reckless driving. I capture my HUD (speed and other things) in the photo.

Photos get forwarded to Local PD.

If you do not have a TCP, taxi or bus stay out of the taxi zone. You will be cited.

If you do not have commercial plates, do not double park or park in yellow areas. You will be cited.

You do not signal or change lanes in an intersection you will be cited.

Pickups and drop offs Bart, on Mission or Market non white zone. $105 Christmas Card.

Yes, even the good drivers and passengers are sick of bad drivers.

As far as profiling. Wrong word.

It it called reasonable suspicion and/or probable cause. You have no right to privacy or search and seizure while driving, especially in a regulated space.

Better to be model citizens now and going forward from this crackdown on.

Again, Self- Regulate.
Beware of the hall monitor.

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Those will be here, will be here.
Those that will not be, will be gone.

The good drivers will report those that should not be on the road. They are at risk too.

Some are just a little dense, if they do not think SFPD and others, SFMTA, CHP, DOT are not going to get involved.

You have a license. A license can taken away as well your registration revoked. There is current law on the books that can be enforced.

In addition law enforcement just has to contact the TNCs and they will soon. You can become permanently deactivated. If you think the TNCs want to bear everything involved with drivers that violate traffic code, you are wrong.

It is pretty simple.

PS. Taxi drivers have been taking pictures of UberX/Lyft drivers for quite some time. Law Enforcement is now beginning to take those seriously.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Uber driver is not a protected class. If I can't pull all the way over in front of the pick up location and they are not outside ready to go, I will drive down the street until I can find a spot to pull over.
Same here. If they're not toes on curb in a no parking zone I send them a text letting them know that I've gone to find a place to park up, for them to phone me when they're ready to go and I'll head back for them.

Apart from avoiding tickets, this is also good for educating pax - they end up waiting for me rather than their preferred option of me waiting outside for them, blocking traffic / risking fines so that they can just walk straight out of their door and into the car like some kind of movie star. Nuh-uh.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Same here. If they're not toes on curb in a no parking zone I send them a text letting them know that I've gone to find a place to park up, for them to phone me when they're ready to go and I'll head back for them.

Apart from avoiding tickets, this is also good for educating pax - they end up waiting for me rather than their preferred option of me waiting outside for them, blocking traffic / risking fines so that they can just walk straight out of their door and into the car like some kind of movie star. Nuh-uh.
Red zones are still a no go for me. They can walk to the end of it even if they are outside waiting. I am not risking the ticket for them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts