Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this email.

Hi Hugh,

We want Uber to be enjoyable and safe for everyone, which is why we conduct checks on identity documents. In the coming weeks we will begin using the Australian Document Verification Service (DVS), a third-party system, to complete these secure checks of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document.

In order to continue driving with the Uber app from April 17, 2019 you must read and agree to the verification of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document. Once you have confirmed your consent, we will help facilitate the secure check.

Rectangle Violet Automotive exterior Font Electric blue

When I hit the " READ CONSENT" it downloads a PDF
Verification of your Australian-Issued Evidence of Identity Document

We'll arrange for a secure check of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document information with the Australian Document Verification Service (DVS), which is a third party system.

You confirm that you are authorised to provide the information presented and you consent to such information being checked with the relevant document issuer or official record holder via the Australian Document Verification Service for the purpose of verifying such information.

For additional information about the DVS please visit the Document Verification Service website . " https://www.dvs.gov.au "

I can't see how I consent...

The website " https://www.dvs.gov.au/How-the-DVS-works/Pages/The-DVS-and-consent.aspx" implies :

Each organisation will have its own administrative and/or legislative requirements around privacy and consent and there are multiple ways to meet the DVS consent requirements. Best practice industry examples include a checkbox on the screen where the document information is entered, paired with a consent statement such as:

I confirm that I am authorised to provide the personal details presented and I consent to my information being checked with the document issuer or official record holder via third party systems for the purpose of confirming my identity.

Yet Uber, my partner, has not provided me with a facility to authorise my consent...

I suspect the way UBER thinks is that you confirm consent when you download, how can you do that when you haven't ever read what you are agreeing to ??

· Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Just got this email.

Hi Hugh,

We want Uber to be enjoyable and safe for everyone, which is why we conduct checks on identity documents. In the coming weeks we will begin using the Australian Document Verification Service (DVS), a third-party system, to complete these secure checks of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document.

In order to continue driving with the Uber app from April 17, 2019 you must read and agree to the verification of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document. Once you have confirmed your consent, we will help facilitate the secure check.

View attachment 312090

When I hit the " READ CONSENT" it downloads a PDF
Verification of your Australian-Issued Evidence of Identity Document

We'll arrange for a secure check of your Australian-issued evidence of identity document information with the Australian Document Verification Service (DVS), which is a third party system.

You confirm that you are authorised to provide the information presented and you consent to such information being checked with the relevant document issuer or official record holder via the Australian Document Verification Service for the purpose of verifying such information.

For additional information about the DVS please visit the Document Verification Service website . " https://www.dvs.gov.au "

I can't see how I consent...

The website " https://www.dvs.gov.au/How-the-DVS-works/Pages/The-DVS-and-consent.aspx" implies :

Each organisation will have its own administrative and/or legislative requirements around privacy and consent and there are multiple ways to meet the DVS consent requirements. Best practice industry examples include a checkbox on the screen where the document information is entered, paired with a consent statement such as:

I confirm that I am authorised to provide the personal details presented and I consent to my information being checked with the document issuer or official record holder via third party systems for the purpose of confirming my identity.

Yet Uber, my partner, has not provided me with a facility to authorise my consent...

I suspect the way UBER thinks is that you confirm consent when you download, how can you do that when you haven't ever read what you are agreeing to ??
That's interesting Hugh , checked my emails this morn. Not there " yet "
About 1 month ago I had to prove my car and I matched , through the app , took about 15 min .
I will expect a similar notification , thanks :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recall when I started years ago that periodically when you logged onto the APP you were informed you had to agree to the new Service Agreement(11+ pages !) before you could continue.

"By clicking “Yes, I accept” or signing below (as such may be required by applicable law), you expressly acknowledge that you have read, understood, and taken steps to thoughtfully consider the consequences of this Agreement, that you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Agreement, and that you are legally competent to enter into this Agreement with Rasier Pacific and Uber."

There was no heads-up or warning.

· Premium Member
5,964 Posts
I recall when I started years ago that periodically when you logged onto the APP you were informed you had to agree to the new Service Agreement(11+ pages !) before you could continue.

"By clicking "Yes, I accept" or signing below (as such may be required by applicable law), you expressly acknowledge that you have read, understood, and taken steps to thoughtfully consider the consequences of this Agreement, that you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Agreement, and that you are legally competent to enter into this Agreement with Rasier Pacific and Uber."

There was no heads-up or warning.
Yep remember same , funny always in peak times ( which was usualy when we started anyhow ) so I usualy agreed , with a yes :eek:-o:
But maybe after a year I started to actualy read what I agreed to , basicaly the usual agreement ,

Was really about agreeing to be a " contract worker "
Not so much of that now , haven't seen any agreement like that for about 1/12 years :thumbdown:
Seems these days more about identification

· Premium Member
16,758 Posts
What if you were up for the 14k and this new I.d system picks something up?!
Yeah, that concerns me too. The day of reckoning had to come eventually, it has been fun but eventually they were always were going to find out that George Clooney and I look very different.

· Premium Member
10,708 Posts
What's the point, given they have your driver's license and industry authority? What a silly waste of time! Don't see them ID checking riders!
'The Document Verification Service (DVS) is a national online system that allows organisations to compare a customer's identifying information with a government record.'

(https://www.dvs.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx)

This will enable Uber to detect whether or not an identity document provided to it is a forgery.

· Premium Member
10,708 Posts
Sure. Or they could just validate the DL numbers against the Industry Authority register: https://www.service.transport.qld.g...tionregister/public/Welcome.xhtml?dswid=-8919
'The DVS is a secure system that operates 24/7 and matches key details contained on Australian-issued identifying credentials, providing a 'yes' or 'no' answer within seconds.'

The DVS allows for a national approach and provides an outcome 'within seconds'.

· Premium Member
5,964 Posts
'The Document Verification Service (DVS) is a national online system that allows organisations to compare a customer's identifying information with a government record.'

This will enable Uber to detect whether or not an identity document provided to it is a forgery.
Yeh Jack it never ceases to amaze how much of my " privacy" is in third party hands
That's why I tought I'd make it easier , with the real me as my avatar :eek:-o:WTF anyhow

· Registered
451 Posts
The bottom line is they don't trust their own records. All these licences we have to get and prove who we are, we have to produce ID. You can't just tell someone who you are without ID. Where the system falls down is this uploading of documents. I sent my rego in after I paid it with the receipt and they rejected it. This continued several times and they wouldn't accept it so I sent the renewal without any evidence of payment and bingo, all was good. This is millenial logic for you.

· Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Look at that guy who got on a current affair for using the passengers credit card. Apparently his license was a fake, he was an illegal from Egypt or something... not hard to copy and paste your pic onto a license & if Ubers not matching your DL number with transport department data base, bobs your uncle!

Wonder how many ants gonna get chopped, more the merrier if you ask me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.