Uber Drivers Forum banner

Service animal

905 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  lmwzwwj 
#1 ·
Oh here we go with Lyft. I have a former worker who gets therapy from an iguana. This will be next.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The Lyft email clearly states that we can't even question whether the chihuahua or corgi or St. Bernard is a service animal. This despite the two questions we are legally permitted to ask. Doing so will get you deactivated. Refusing the ride will get you deactivated.

Take the Great Dane and question Lyft afterwards, according to the Lyft email.

#10 ·
The ADA clearly states that the service animals part only apply to dogs. Therapy animals, like the turkey on the delta flight, a snake, a cat, a lizard does not qualify as service animals, as you can see here
Font Number Document Screenshot

Yet on the Lyft video, animal is generalized, so here is my 2 cents:
The ADA also made an exception for people with allergic reactions, is also a point of debate since they say the employer must find an accommodation for such employee so it doesn't come in contact with the SA. Now in small car there is no way you can find such accommodation since you are the driver. I will like to see a clarification to the rule when it comes to people that can't avoid close contact. Another problem that arises is that people requesting a ride on Uber/Lyft don't have to disclose the use of a SA, so there is no way to opt out and the only way to avoid it is to cancel. From my perspective a driver whose condition impedes close contact with an animal, should be able to cancel without the retaliatory measures but it has to be done by sending the medical justification and send the rider request to the next driver.
Another part of the law says this and I quote:
  • Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.
The worst part is if a person with a SA decides to order an UberPool or Lyft Line, they you have a huge problem, what if one of the riders is a kid with asthma or other respiratory problems. What if the dog attacks another pax, or the driver? Who will be responsible in this case?. The law should be able to clarify and make real exceptions, an Uber X is not the ideal transport service for people with disabilities. There is not a real solution for this conundrum.
I for one, will provide reasonable accommodation to a service dog, I been carrying with me, from day one a towel, lint roller, a small portable vacuum and febreeze. But I do love animals, so well behave dogs and cats, as long as they stay in a crate or the riders lap they are welcome in my vehicle.
But I do feel bad for people with cynophobia, they might never encounter a rider with the SA animal requirements, but with many 1000's of riders any given day, chances are that we will hear about it sooner than later.
I apologize for such a long diatribe.

#12 ·
I don't know the driver or the owner, nor saw a video of the incident, to me is irrelevant if the pax push the driver's buttons or if the driver did, but for anybody to take out the anger on a small dog, whose only fault was to be there is despicable, he would've think twice if it was a bigger dog. He deserves to be punished for cruelty to animals.

On this article the reporter is assuming the dog was a service animal.
http://www.amny.com/news/muhammad-qayyum-uber-driver-accused-of-attacking-service-dog-1.11400434

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.