Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is having an issue with the ratings system? I see multiple posts about it but I genuinely don't understand (and am a bit pissed off at this point). Somehow my rating dipped down to a 4.67 to start this week off. For some perspective, I have a total of 64 lifetime trips and 46 rated trips (34 of them being 5 stars). I have no feedback or negative comments from riders. I did about 12 trips yesterday and my rating went up to a whopping 4.67. I just checked this morning and it's all the way down to a 4.61! I have had no complaints from customers. I am always polite and conversational. I take the most direct routes. I have absolutely no complaints. I just am not understanding why they are rating me so harshly. It's a bit discouraging because I already feel like I'm doing a great job and don't know what else to try. I am worried about being deactivated when I am essentially doing nothing wrong. Anyone else experiencing this? Any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Am I the only one who is having an issue with the ratings system? I see multiple posts about it but I genuinely don't understand (and am a bit pissed off at this point). Somehow my rating dipped down to a 4.67 to start this week off. For some perspective, I have a total of 64 lifetime trips and 46 rated trips (34 of them being 5 stars). I have no feedback or negative comments from riders. I did about 12 trips yesterday and my rating went up to a whopping 4.67. I just checked this morning and it's all the way down to a 4.61! I have had no complaints from customers. I am always polite and conversational. I take the most direct routes. I have absolutely no complaints. I just am not understanding why they are rating me so harshly. It's a bit discouraging because I already feel like I'm doing a great job and don't know what else to try. I am worried about being deactivated when I am essentially doing nothing wrong. Anyone else experiencing this? Any input would be much appreciated!
I have the same issues Jayonce ..... Don't get pissed off about it either lol :) You're doing everything right ... and keep doing what you're doing (being polite , conversational etc ) .... The ratings system can be nerve racking if u obsess on it . I ALWAYS maintain a courteous & professional decorum .... and being former military ... "sir" "ma'am" flows naturally for me ..... when I address pax ......
YET..... I can tell when a pax "dings" me with a lower than 5 rating ... esp if they rate my right after the trip ... check your ratings right after you drop your pax off (maybe 5min) ..... usually ... if the last decimal number goes up a notch or remains the same ... that means they gave u a 5 ....4.61 ..to 4.62...... if it drops a notch (not necessarily a whole number) ... 4.61 .. to .. 4.60 ... they probably rated you a 4 .... I would assume if it went from 4.61 then suddenly when u check its 4.59 .... they prob rated u 3 or lower for some reason . (did u miss a turn somewhere ... & try to play it off lol :) ....
They (Uber) also bases your Overall ratings on the total number of trips you've taken ... if it's less than 200 total trips ... the ratings will fluctuate ALOT
Uber seems to have factored all of the fluctuation in ratings for the "new" drivers (under 200 trips ) .... I got to the point where I don't obsess on ratings ... if I see that I'm consistently getting 5star .. & 4star ratings ... and I already know that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing .... ESPECIALLY earning a nice piece of change for Uber weekly .... they really don't seem to have an issue "per se" if I have an occasional week below average rating
Now if you were consistently getting low ratings all the time .... THAT would prob cause some concern .... & I think that's when they really start considering deactivation or a warning of some sort (which has never happened for me ) ... hope this helps ....

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
It's an average so the more ratings you have the less any one changes it. But it does take a lot of 5 stars to offset a 1 star. If I get dinged I usually just focus on being extra friendly & driving more gently and it comes up. My last few low ratings were due to a navigation error, a personality conflict, a pax who's ass I wouldn't kiss & stop in the middle of E Carson St to find & a retaliation for rating the pax less than 5 stars. I shoot for 4.86 just to know I'm in good standing with uber but am currently 4.83. More sober drivers rate better so if u ever needed to bring your rating up avoid the late nights for a time.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
What do you drive?
Do you keep the inside and outside of your ride clean?
I notice a difference in ratings when I drive the wife's Prius vs my Cadillac CTS.
Same driver, same route, same hours.

But overall I agree with Ninja and Metro; don't stress the number. Its totally subjective; a 5 star trip for you might me a 4 star trip for me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You're doing everything right ... and keep doing what you're doing
Eh not necessarily, if jayoncé_ has 34/46 rated trips as 5 stars that's approx. 74% of rated trips as 5-stars. Just checked and I'm at 667/728 which is approximately 92% of rated trips as 5-stars. That's the number I would look at, percent of rated trips as 5-stars. Mine typically stays at 90% or higher, you're doing something slightly incorrect jayoncé_ .

I find that ride quality is first, drive like there's a bowl of hot soup in the trunk. Extra slow, smooth turns that cause very low G-force and predictable, easy maneuvers. Minimize lane changes and always stay in the right most lane and go 5mph over the speed limit at a maximum. When picking up I always advocate parking legally. Never stop in the middle of the street in busy areas (Butler Street in Lawrenceville, Carson Street in the Southside, Penn Avenue downtown). It's highly unprofessional, risks a ticket from police and rushes your passengers and you. I'd rather find a safe, legal area so I can calmly wait, I recommend doing the same.

As far as service, my undergrad degree was in communications and my career is in customer service, I know people and service very well. People can see right through fabricated service. Tailor your communication to their style, but don't be overly fake. Find something in their discussion that genuinely interests you and touch on that. Don't create a "customer service voice" necessarily, those higher pitched accommodating voices are just pandering.

So all in all, something needs to change, but it is still early as others have mentioned. Examine your driving style, car cleanliness and service style. Make small changes to start and watch for trends in your rating. Again driving style is very important in my opinion followed by service level.

Keep us posted

check your ratings right after you drop your pax off
This is not necessarily from your previous passengers as pax have until their next request to rate their driver. It could've been from someone earlier in the night who now needs another ride. They would be prompted to rate you first.

a pax who's ass I wouldn't kiss & stop in the middle of E Carson St to find
Well good, glad you made the right decision. Drivers heading westbound on E Carson cannot stop between 17th and 10th street. Highly amateur move and I feel no sympathy when they get an officer horn behind them telling them to keep moving. If you see the pickup is at Diesel, Local, Finn McCool's etc come up 16th or 14th and make a left (yeah difficult but too bad) or simply park on those side streets and have them come to you.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Eh not necessarily, if jayoncé_ has 34/46 rated trips as 5 stars that's approx. 74% of rated trips as 5-stars. Just checked and I'm at 667/728 which is approximately 92% of rated trips as 5-stars.
1093/1215 for me = 90%

There are factors that are WAY outside a drivers control.
1. Distance and time to pickup
2. Traffic conditions
3. The freaking parkway and/or tunnels being closed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts