Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an uber driver you let strangers into your car so the chances of coming across someone who is a threat is much higher than normal- this is still the x <.01% of the pax you pick up but its still your health or life.
weapon / tool ideas

A inside facing dash cam will be worth its weight in gold if you ever need to use this

Stun gun
pros
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+ Fully uber and law legal
+ highly intimidating by sound
+ no collateral damage chance- to car or innocents
+ rechargeable and always testable to be working
+ somewhat good against numbers

cons
- wont stop the super drug crazy/ can fail
- Short post stun duration / they can get back up

pepper Sprays
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+long lasting stun disable effect
+good against numbers
con
-collateral damage likely - especially to other people in car including self
-needs to be replaced after use or several tests

Gun
+Maximum stopping power
+full intimidation
+law legal if done properly
+good against numbers

-uber illegal- deactivation ?
-lethal
-very very high collateral damage
- highest legal risk
-training required or should be

Bat / mag light / melee
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+can stun attacker

-physical strength needed
-hard to use fully in a small car area
-can be blocked
-not good against numbers
- medium colateral damage chance

any other thoughts ? what do you carry ?
i carry 56mill volt stun gun and maybe sprays

·
Premium Member
62,820 Posts
As an uber driver you let strangers into your car so the chances of coming across someone who is a threat is much higher than normal- this is still the x <.01% of the pax you pick up but its still your health or life.
weapon / tool ideas

A inside facing dash cam will be worth its weight in gold if you ever need to use this

Stun gun
pros
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required

cons

pepper Sprays
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+good against numbers
con

Gun
+Maximum stopping power
+full intimidation
+good against numbers

-lethal
- highest legal risk

Bat / mag light / melee
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+can stun attacker

-can be blocked

Whenever you carry a weapon into a fight, realize it may be taken away and used on you.

A contact stun gun is useful, but you have to get close.( if your assailant is strangling you , you have the option to taze yourself or him ,you will both feel it) a dart stun gun can miss.( may fry your cars computer,then you get to spend MORE time with someone who realizes you just tried to taze them)

Tear gas/ pepper spray is not nice inside a car.
Imagine blinding someone with mace,then they stumble into busy highway and become hamburger meat.
The prosecuting attorney will hand pictures out to the jury . . .
( probably before lunch)

Guns do strange things. Especially bullets.if you miss, bullets may kill sleeping children in their beds.
Get a laser sight.
Ever try to draw a bead on something moving in the dark at night ? Can you see your front gun sight even ?
Bats cause damage.mostly to your car if you swing it inside.
One good bat to the face can cause $90,000.00 plus facial reconstruction surgery.all those face bones do come apart.

P.S. I always wear steel toe cowboy boots.good in the shipyards.the narrow toe designed to quickly penetrate stirrups when mounting a horse,were good for climbing steel walls and structures,smallest cracks can gain foothold.
They can also penetrate rib cages.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am licensed to carry a firearm, and I do so. Recently I haven't because I won't be able to take New York trips if armed, but if it looks like those trips aren't in the cards I will. With my luck, I'll be carrying and have to turn down a 3x surge trip to JFK.

The only time anyone would find out I have it is if someone is trying to kill me, and in that case I don't give a flying rat's ass if Uber or anyone else has a problem with it.

If you don't carry and are considering using pepper spray, remember that you are going to have to remain in the car and drive the hell out of there and the spray may affect you, so use it sparingly.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
weapon / tool ideas

Stun gun
pros
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required

cons

pepper Sprays
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+good against numbers
con

Gun
+Maximum stopping power
+full intimidation
+good against numbers

-lethal
- highest legal risk

Bat / mag light / melee
+ non lethal
+cheap
+ no training required
+intimidating
+can stun attacker

-can be blocked

In a different lifetime I was a manager in a grocery store. There was a group cashing counterfeit payroll checks and they had gotten us 3 times as well as every other store that cashed payroll checks in the area. This was shortly before the pc and computer networking. It would take a week -3 weeks for a check to come back to the store as insf or counterfeit.

When they came in again, I was called. We called the police and tried to stall tjem. They caught on and ran out the door. I followed to try to get a description of their car and a plate number. On the sidewalk just outside the exit door a look out grabbed me around the neck from behind and hit me with a hand held tazer, 3 times. I don't know the specs on the one that was used on me, but it did not incapacitate me. It stunned me for maybe a second/second and a half then adrenaline took over and I chased the guy for about 100 yards. I was on his ass, just a few yards behind him and gaining.

I was much younger, in much better shape and definitely quicker then. The stun gun didn't stop me. I know it wouldn't give me enough time to get away now if I used one on someone attacking me.

What did stop me from chasing this guy? He got to the car his crew were in, He dove in the backseat of the car, the front passenger door opened and a BIG silver revolver appeared. I went from full sprint to stop in record time and they drove off.

Again I don't know if anything about tazers, stun guns , amps, volts, ohms OR watts... I just know that when one was used on me, it just pissed me off more than anything. I personally wouldn't rely on one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Never carry any weapon you haven't experienced the effects of.
That's why I say this. Not saying you have to shoot yourself to know you don't want to be shot, but if you don't know what your pepper spray feels like it's just as likely to incapacitate YOU instead of your attacker.

Someone above nailed it- NEVER carry a weapon you're not prepared to have taken away.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If you spend more time thinking about needing a weapon than actual scenarios, training and practice then this job is not for you. You'll end up dead, injured, arrested or sued before your theory pans out.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Someone above nailed it- NEVER carry a weapon you're not prepared to have taken away.
That would be any weapon. I am absolutely unprepared for having my gun taken away, and so is everyone else. That's one of the reasons why you don't reveal it until you are ready to shoot it.

Concealed carry is a privilege of civilians that gives them the advantage of surprise against an attacker. Remember that if you are attacked, the attacker doesn't think you have a gun. He would be attacking somebody else if he did.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
That would be any weapon. I am absolutely unprepared for having my gun taken away, and so is everyone else. That's one of the reasons why you don't reveal it until you are ready to shoot it.

Concealed carry is a privilege of civilians that gives them the advantage of surprise against an attacker. Remember that if you are attacked, the attacker doesn't think you have a gun. He would be attacking somebody else if he did.
Don't confuse concealed with surprise and an advantage. You are driving, with someone behind you. If you really feel the need to take out a gun you can imagine how much more the person will be, who does have the advantage over you. The pax is pissed and not driving. You only take out a gun when you use it. Do not take out a gun and figure out if you will use it. :eek: When you take out a gun you plan on killing someone.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Don't confuse concealed with surprise and an advantage. You are driving, with someone behind you. If you really feel the need to take out a gun you can imagine how much more the person will be, who does have the advantage over you. The pax is pissed and not driving. You only take out a gun when you use it. Do not take out a gun and figure out if you will use it. :eek: When you take out a gun you plan on killing someone.
Absolutely correct, and if someone is behind you in a car you are in a very disadvantageous position to shoot, and you never want to have to draw against the drop if he also has a gun. Due to the way you're going to have to shoot you are also probably going to get permanent hearing damage. I wouldn't shoot a person behind me until I felt the knife going in. I'd consider crashing the car first, because then he knows he can't drive away and had better start running.

Usually a criminal doesn't want to shoot, because he knows the chances of him being seriously pursued, caught, and then shot during the arrest go way up once he's fired a weapon.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Absolutely correct, and if someone is behind you in a car you are in a very disadvantageous position to shoot, and you never want to have to draw against the drop if he also has a gun. Due to the way you're going to have to shoot you are also probably going to get permanent hearing damage. I wouldn't shoot a person behind me until I felt the knife going in. I'd consider crashing the car first, because then he knows he can't drive away and had better start running.

Usually a criminal doesn't want to shoot, because he knows the chances of him being seriously pursued, caught, and then shot during the arrest go way up once he's fired a weapon.
Best bet is to take your keys and get out of your car. Call 911 so they can handle it. You will definitely need back up if you think the situation is that bad.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you are considering using pepper spray, remember that you are going to have to remain in the car and drive the hell out of there and the spray may affect you, so use it sparingly.
YES, (mediocre paramedic here)
We always laughed at the office that would transport the suspect. The fumes would be in the car and he basically maced himself.

Best treatment is Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo in a spray bottle. But it's still terrible.

Always a terrible idea, there's no unwind, everybody gets maced!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Best bet is to take your keys and get out of your car. Call 911 so they can handle it. You will definitely need back up if you think the situation is that bad.
ABSOLUTELY!
And don't be afraid to call earlier than you think is necessary.

LEARN YOUR LOCAL NON EMERGENCY NUMBER!
Calling 911 locks up your phone to emergency dispatch through the cell tower.
Most times it's easier to call the 7 digit number and explain your location and situation.

911 locks up the Uber app and your screwed if you need data signals

1 - 20 of 245 Posts