Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. Last Sat. at 2:10 am, the surge was 3.6 on X. There ae no X cars within 6 or 7 minutes of Glenwood South and yet a see 2 Select cars cars on Glenwood sitting waiting for rides. So, Select with a 28% commission and NO surge is better than X surging at 3.6 with a 20% commission? Those two need to wake up and figure out how the game is played.

Also, at 1:45 or 1:50 when the cars start getting scarce downtown turn your damn app off till the surge starts. Why would you want to struggle through the crowds to pick someone up at regular fare when if you had waited a few minutes while you drove downtown, you could be getting 2X?

·
Registered
13 Posts
At that surge rate for X, the Select ride is actually the cheaper option. Perhaps the drivers were thinking riders would switch to Select instead of waiting for the surge to go away. But I doubt many riders realize the savings in using Select in this situation due to their drunken stupor.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At that surge rate for X, the Select ride is actually the cheaper option. Perhaps the drivers were thinking riders would switch to Select instead of waiting for the surge to go away. But I doubt many riders realize the savings in using Select in this situation due to their drunken stupor.
That's kind of my point, any time the surge hits about 1.8 or so for X , if select isn't surging you are better off taking X calls because of the lower commission. I don't expect pax to get that, despite the promotion, most of them don't seem to understand that there's a little selector at the bottom of the screen to select different service options. Probably a third of the select riders I get are new riders and the app defaults to select when they start using Uber so they are none the wiser and guess what, happy with the price. Just goes to show that Uber has cut the prices way to low yet people still drive X to give out $4.00 rides and take home $2.40 for it??????

·
Registered
280 Posts
I turn on X for the surge on Fri-Sat nights but everyone knows the deal and I get back to back select calls. I usually have to ignored 5-10 select calls before I get an X call. I'm waiting for the warning email from UBER to come. My guess was these two drivers were waiting for select to surge and ignoring calls.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I turn on X for the surge on Fri-Sat nights but everyone knows the deal and I get back to back select calls. I usually have to ignored 5-10 select calls before I get an X call. I'm waiting for the warning email from UBER to come. My guess was these two drivers were waiting for select to surge and ignoring calls.
I understand what you are saying and I've had a couple of occasions where I've gotten 2 or 3 nonsuge selects while I'm waiting for a 3 times X sure ping. Usually though it's the exact opposite. If I'm sitting on select only I watch the X's come and go on the surge, most of the drunkies don't even know how to check select. And it's rare that select surges and usually lags behind X, last Sat. being a rare exception.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to say, I haven't been working as much because it's been a slow summer and lots of drivers. I would guess that there is a little more demand but not enough to offset the cut, welcome to Uber!!

What they really need to do is raise the X rates, $4.00 minimum and .85 a mile is just insane, passengers wouldn't blink twice about paying $1.20 a mile with a 6 or 7 dollar minimum. Then you make select a 50% premium and everyone wins! Oh wait, Uber is winning now even though we are scrapping for change.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hard to say, I haven't been working as much because it's been a slow summer and lots of drivers. I would guess that there is a little more demand but not enough to offset the cut, welcome to Uber!!

What they really need to do is raise the X rates, $4.00 minimum and .85 a mile is just insane, passengers wouldn't blink twice about paying $1.20 a mile with a 6 or 7 dollar minimum. Then you make select a 50% premium and everyone wins! Oh wait, Uber is winning now even though we are scrapping for change.
All they have to do is restore the rates back to $1.10 a mile before the "seasonal" rate cuts that "won't last long" kicked in way back in January.

When they raised rates from .75 a mile to .85 a mile they never told the pax and most people didn't even notice. If they raised it another .25 a mile I bet most people still wouldn't notice, or even care. The passengers don't really care how much uber costs as long as it's cheaper than a cab.

At this point I'd even take a return of the guarantees. At least then you could hustle your way to a sure thing. Not like now where it's a roll of the dice every time you turn on the app.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All they have to do is restore the rates back to $1.10 a mile before the "seasonal" rate cuts that "won't last long" kicked in way back in January.

When they raised rates from .75 a mile to .85 a mile they never told the pax and most people didn't even notice. If they raised it another .25 a mile I bet most people still wouldn't notice, or even care. The passengers don't really care how much uber costs as long as it's cheaper than a cab.

At this point I'd even take a return of the guarantees. At least then you could hustle your way to a sure thing. Not like now where it's a roll of the dice every time you turn on the app.
If we could figure out a way to make Bradley disappear and you take his place, I'm all for it ;-)

It's no roll of the dice, the next two weekends are going to be great, then it's going to slide back towards crap as they onboard anyone with a pulse to drive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How has it been out there? Since the restrictions on the request areas on select I have list slot of $$$ from apex holy springs Clayton where I would head if I was the only driver.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not what it used to be, that's for sure. Friday night was pretty weak for select, Sat. was better, slow but steady, probably lost a little business to packapolooza but 1 to 2:30 was a strong finish.

Bottom line, there are so many drivers out now that the surges we used to see are a thing of the past. I'm sure the X drivers are busy but you must be chewing up your cars to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts