Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

security - for the Partner & the PAX

3K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  5 Star Guy 
#1 ·
... what is the general concensus on security and safety? I carry a fillet knife that I am sure I would never use - unless really threatened.

... what about MACE / Pepper Spray?

#2 ·
I carry Pepper Spray and a tazer, both put in different parts of the vehicle for access and multiple units of it. They are never within reach of passengers and I can easily deploy them as needed. Make sure you rotate your pepper spray out of service every 6 months to maintain maximum effectiveness...that stuff does break down and coagulate over time

#4 ·
I never get what people anticipate happening to them? Is there a certain pax, race or something or just some random crazy person where they have their account information?

#27 ·
Don't use pepper spray in the car. Your car will be out of service for hours. In fact, I'd suggest having someone pepper spray you so that you know how it feels.
Carry a knife in your pocket.
Memorize the locations of the police stations in your city and nearby areas.
Hospitals.
Memorize hospitals
Good for you.
Good for the pax.
Hospitals also always have security.

#21 ·
The best protection is not to drive. If you're that insecure about your safety, feel that unsafe and think people are going to attack you I'd say to stay home. You can choose not pick a pax up in a bad area, I think anything else is being paranoid.

#25 ·
The Taco guy knew there was a cam and it didn't deter him since he was drunk. I'd say before you drive to consider the scenarios and how you will defend yourself. I think in every case the answer is put the car in park and leave. No one is robbing a driver, we know who the pax is so they aren't getting away with anything. People here see too many movies and think of taxi examples where its a street hail and the driver gets robbed. If you think of too many scenarios and you don't have a solution I would stop driving. Any idea how many pax there have been just this past week with zero incidents? People sound a little paranoid and eager to cross the line where you are no longer defending yourself and will end up in jail.

Reactions: tohunt4me
#29 ·
Here is what I have so far, 4 items...

Sabre Pepper Gel in lower dash near right leg (gel doesnt cause a mist and is more direct & concentrated)
Sabre 3-in-1 Pepper spray in my right pocket (it's a potent mix of their pepper spray, military-grade tear gas, and UV marking dye)
Old school Switchblade in my right upper front pocket (think Outsiders, that type of switchblade...call me Pony Boy)
The Cat Personal Safety Keychain in front right pocket (put your fingers thru the eyeholes and jab away, even though it's hard plastic the points are sharp, wouldnt want to get hit in the face with one of these full force)

Thinking about getting a tazer also but not sure. Probably overkill since I've never had a single problem with any PAX and they've all been cool but you never know who your picking up.

#31 ·
Here is what I have so far, 4 items...

Sabre Pepper Gel in lower dash near right leg (gel doesnt cause a mist and is more direct & concentrated)
Sabre 3-in-1 Pepper spray in my right pocket (it's a potent mix of their pepper spray, military-grade tear gas, and UV marking dye)
Old school Switchblade in my right upper front pocket (think Outsiders, that type of switchblade...call me Pony Boy)
The Cat Personal Safety Keychain in front right pocket (put your fingers thru the eyeholes and jab away, even though it's hard plastic the points are sharp, wouldnt want to get hit in the face with one of these full force)

Thinking about getting a tazer also but not sure. Probably overkill since I've never had a single problem with any PAX and they've all been cool but you never know who your picking up.
Geez, you will have a problem if you get pulled over and a bigger problem if you get uncomfortable with a pax. I don't think this work is for you. Don't get arrested.

#32 ·
LOL arrested for having self-defense weapons as a professional driver and picking up random unknown strangers?

Not likely at all, pal. All items I listed are completely legal in my state. I'm not worried. Also, I'm not a "itchy trigger finger" kinda person at all. I'm one of the most cool, calm, laid-back, & level-headed people you'll ever meet. So no I wont have a "bigger problem" if I get "uncomfortable" with a client(s). I'd diffuse the situation with words and if that didnt work then pull over and ask them to exit my vehicle.

Worry 'bout yo self, homie.

#34 ·
I don't have any self defense weapons, you have at least 4. What exactly do you think is going to happen?

#40 ·
I would have a Glock with plenty of target practice if I was going to need anything. That seems to be the only thing that works these days. None of the self defense weapons mentioned will work if you really are in that kind of situation, in your car.

#41 ·
Having a gun is even a worse idea than a knife.
Try it.
Sit in the drivers seat, hold the gun and try pointing it at the back seat. The angle is so bad that there is NO way you can aim it.
Plus your arm does not bend that way. 2 pounds of pressure and you will drop the gun. 20 pounds and your arm will be broken.
Which, by the way, is exactly what I would do to you if you pointed a gun at me.

So in the end you have given the unruly passenger a way to;
1) easily break your arm
2) a reason to break your arm that no one would blame them if they did
3) you have given your unruly passenger a loaded gun where he is behind you and you have no way to avoid the shot.

I really cant think of anything more stupid
(QED that UberX is guaranteeing the lowest level of driver)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.