Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike O'Brien takes a stand against Uber
http://crosscut.com/2015/08/mike-obrien-takes-a-stand-against-uber/

O'Brien made his announcement Monday at City Hall, flanked by a cast of drivers, many of whom quit low-paying jobs to drive for Uber. He told the story of a man left behind a minimum wage job, only to find himself earning even less as a driver. "It was not a story of increased income and opportunity, but the opposite" said O'Brien. "After filing his tax return, he found he was making around $3 an hour."

One after another, the drivers told stories of making far less than they'd expected, thanks mostly to the costs of purchasing a car, maintenance, insurance and taxes. "The owners of the company have taken advantage of the drivers," said one driver named Faseel. "It's not fair."

Uber's model of ridesharing may be innovative, O'Brien said, but there's nothing innovative about building an economy on the backs of workers.

Uber representatives would not comment directly on the ordinance O'Brien plans to introduce next week, saying that they had not had a chance to review it. "Uber is an important contributor to the local economy in Seattle, helping to create new opportunities for many people to earn a better living," said an Uber spokesperson in an e-mail.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Really? You'd trade one heavy handed thug for another? Just because they say they are on your side?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Tru dat.

So what do you get when a market like Seattle goes back up to the rates I have here? You get twice as many drivers and 1/2 as many pings. Don't see what any union can do for folks at this point.

I'm not getting rich in Savannah, I can tell you that. I'm having a hard time justifying it. Demand is real low. People here are driving $40,000 cars on UberX - many living on retirement.

Then, when "employment" status is granted over IC status, you'll really see the rules and regulations change. You'll see MORE taken out for overhead. Costs will skyrocket as $14k insurance policies become compulsory.

I'm not against unions, but be careful what you ask for - you might just get it. I seen unions do great things. I've also seen them destroy corporations.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tru dat.

So what do you get when a market like Seattle goes back up to the rates I have here? You get twice as many drivers and 1/2 as many pings. Don't see what any union can do for folks at this point.

I'm not getting rich in Savannah, I can tell you that. I'm having a hard time justifying it. Demand is real low. People here are driving $40,000 cars on UberX - many living on retirement.

Then, when "employment" status is granted over IC status, you'll really see the rules and regulations change. You'll see MORE taken out for overhead. Costs will skyrocket as $14k insurance policies become compulsory.

I'm not against unions, but be careful what you ask for - you might just get it. I seen unions do great things. I've also seen them destroy corporations.
Rules and regulations are going to evolve no matter what employment status is granted to Uber drivers or Union gets in the way. I think those Unions could help drivers tremendously especially if they could lock in rates and limit how many drivers go on the road.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
While speaking to a union rep in Seattle, I was told the rate for X drivers has gone from $1.10 to currently $2.35.

Can anyone verify?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Rules and regulations are going to evolve no matter what employment status is granted to Uber drivers or Union gets in the way. I think those Unions could help drivers tremendously especially if they could lock in rates and limit how many drivers go on the road.
Ok. Great. Who gets limited? Is that free market? How do you go about that fairly? Isn't that how medallion cabs and the mafia got control? Like I said, you trade one thug for another.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think it's time that drivers time to find someway to collectively bargain. Clearly, the regulators are bought by Uber. Chances of drivers getting any real protection are very slim and won't come for a long time... even if the courts rule for the drivers in the various driver lawsuits.

From the Article:

"Pekle says he ended up making less money as more drivers joined Uber's network. Now, he drives a few hours a week and does sales on the side, which helps him make payments on the Uber-compliant car he bought. With the cost of gas, insurance, and Uber's cut of the proceeds, 'you are not making anything,' he says. 'It's like minimum wage.'"
Pekle has joined Washington's App-Based Drivers Association, which contracts with the Teamsters to advocate for the drivers' interests. It's better than nothing, he thinks, but drivers are still at the whim of Uber's decisions. That's why Seattle City Councilmember Mike O'Brien concluded that allowing drivers to bargain with the companies themselves might work better than depending on regulation to improve working conditions."

"'The reality in an industry that's evolving rapidly is that as a regulatory body we're not going to keep up,' O'Brien says. 'And there's so much more power in allowing the workers to decide by themselves through collective bargaining, these are the terms under which they want to work. Here's how the new system , which will be formally introduced in the Council next week, would work: Drivers would vote on a non-profit organization to serve as their 'exclusive driver representative,' which would then negotiate a contract with the company. If the two parties fail to come to an agreement, they have to submit to arbitration. The resulting contract would be enforced through the courts, rather than the National Labor Relations Board, which unions have found to be slow and sometimes ineffective in deterring employers from violating contract terms."

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Tru dat.

$40,000 car as an UberX?
Talk about a PT Barnum world...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Tru dat.

Part of what a union would negotiate is how many cars Uber can have on it's platform (like the cab companies). They would not be able to saturate the market like they have been doing in most markets, which, as we all know, cuts into per driver profits. The problem now is that Uber is completely unchecked. They can cut rates, add drivers, deactivate drivers, tell pax not to tip, not pay on rides (adjust fares arbitrarily), etc. There are no checks. This only hurts the drivers...

People in this country have been fighting for worker protections for decades. Uber and other companies like Uber are completely evading all of these protections to line their own pockets. I'm not interested in turning the US into a third world labor market and you should not be either.... Companies executives are the ones who are lining their pockets at the expense of the workers. Have you not looked at the escalating executive compensation in the last several years? All that will happen is that executive compensation won't be so astronomical...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Mike O'Brien takes a stand against Uber
http://crosscut.com/2015/08/mike-obrien-takes-a-stand-against-uber/

"Uber representatives would not comment directly on the ordinance O'Brien plans to introduce next week, saying that they had not had a chance to review it. "Uber is an important contributor to the local economy in Seattle, helping to create new opportunities for many people to earn a better living," said an Uber spokesperson in an e-mail."
Uber thinks if they keep telling this lie over and over, it will eventually become truth. However, the numbers tell the truth...Fortunately, for the drivers, they have to file tax returns. That's where it gets real.

Reactions: chi1cabby

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Uber Hires the very definition of scab labor.
Uber gives the finger to whole COUNTRIES.
You really think they will negotiate with Hoffas minions?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thx, Cabby. :). I misunderstood.

JimS said:
Ok. Great. Who gets limited? Is that free market? How do you go about that fairly? Isn't that how medallion cabs and the mafia got control? Like I said, you trade one thug for another.
What do you consider "free market?"

Is it being an independent contractor who is dependent on the client's decision (yes, Uber is our client.) as to how your business will be run? I don't think so. Personally, I do not take lightly to Uber telling me I have to agree to their terms without being able to give my input.

My gripes include: 1) Charging low rates while taking a high commission from my paycheck; 2) Being told I cannot accept tips; 3) Not being able to have a say in future contracts; 4) Not being able to pay for my expenses directly to the creditor (TNC license, airport fees); <Edit: 5) An unfair rating system.

RE Rating System
People, like a former manager of mine, feel a rating of 5 means "perfect" and will always rate one # down for that reason. If the rating system was 1= very poorly & 10 = the best, drivers could aim for an 7.5+ to remain on the app.

That system in flawed b/c pax will rate a 5 out of 10 as being average, also.>

I welcome a union to represent us.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Uber Hires the very definition of scab labor.
Uber gives the finger to whole COUNTRIES.
You really think they will negotiate with Hoffas minions?
Uber has been successful in the US b/c it misleads people about hight potential earnings to get them to drive... Drivers drop like flies once they sign up and realize how little they can make or they are so bad they get deactivated by low ratings. It is getting harder in harder in many of the maturing markets for them to hire decent drivers. There is not an unlimited supply of decent drivers and cars, despite what Uber may think.

Reactions: 331303

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thx, Cabby. :). I misunderstood.

What do you consider "free market?"

Is it being an independent contractor who is dependent on the client's decision (yes, Uber is our client.) as to how your business will be run? I don't think so. Personally, I do not Uber telling me I have to agree to their terms without being able to give my input.

My gripes include: 1) Charging low rates while paying a commission; 2) Being told I cannot accept tips; 3) Not being able to have a say in future contracts.

I welcome a union to represent us.
All a free market does is allow more powerful people to exploit less powerful people for their benefit....

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Uber has been successful in the US b/c it misleads people about hight potential earnings to get them to drive... Drivers drop like flies once they sign up and realize how little they can make or they are so bad they get deactivated by low ratings. It is getting harder in harder in many of the maturing markets for them to hire decent drivers. There is not an unlimited supply of decent drivers and cars, despite what Uber may think.
I'm not against the attempt to organize.
I was playing devils advocate in pointing out how little Uber will initially care.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts