Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago I called nationwide to ask a general question about my monthly bill and coverage. I accidently slipped up and told him I was an Uber driver! It has been hell!!!! He began to raise his voice and told me I needed commercial insurance and that if I wrecked they wouldnt cover it and how dare I not tell them, blah blah blah. Called my agent and told her i quit uber and to quit harrassing me about commercial coverage. They have emailed me 11 times in 2 weeks to verify my uber status. It is BS, because if I had not called they wouldnt know shit! PLEASE dont make this mistake with your insurance. -- Im still driving uber! :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
2 weeks ago I called nationwide to ask a general question about my monthly bill and coverage. I accidently slipped up and told him I was an Uber driver! It has been hell!!!! He began to raise his voice and told me I needed commercial insurance and that if I wrecked they wouldnt cover it and how dare I not tell them, blah blah blah. Called my agent and told her i quit uber and to quit harrassing me about commercial coverage. They have emailed me 11 times in 2 weeks to verify my uber status. It is BS, because if I had not called they wouldnt know shit! PLEASE dont make this mistake with your insurance. -- Im still driving uber! :)
You must like living life on the edge!

·
Registered
966 Posts
It sounds a bit fraudulent lying to them and continuing to drive. You could get in real trouble for that. I think somebody else suggested you switch insurance companies and that might be a good idea in your case

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If a passenger(s) gets hurt in an accident while driving with you, you are beyond screwed. Even if the accident is not your fault.

When they sue you and Uber.... and they will, because lawyers sue everybody involved for the largest payday possible, Uber's lawyers will point out that you were in violation of your agreement you "signed" when you logged on. Uber's agreement clearly states "It is the drivers responsibility to carry proper insurance and adhere to local laws."

Your insurance company will laugh at you as they deny your claim. Furthermore, they have your e-mail responses where you have already lied to them. Uber will provide the timeline to help dig your grave. Insurance companies make a living out of covering their ass. They are professionals. The reason they keep sending you e-mails, is to catalogue your responses. You have now committed insurance fraud by lying to them. Insurance fraud is a felony. Most likely, you have already been red flagged in the insurance company's data base. Not just your insurance company, all insurance companies. They all use the same data base. They all share information.

The lawyers will eat you alive if a passenger gets hurt. If you get rear ended, how many people in your backseat would fake an injury just for the chance of suing Uber? You are on track for having your wages garnished for the rest of your life. Wake Up!

Your best bet is to quit Uber immediately.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Uber is supposed to cover you while you have a pax in your car. Its the in between parts that will screw you. I have yet to find affordable commercial insurance in the Dallas market.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
Odd as it sounds, Nationwide did you a favor. The bottom line here is that anyone who drives for U/L without first procuring a commericial livery policy is on a fool's errand.
In your current status, you are not covered if you are in an at-fault accident. The James River policy will not help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Commercial insurance is usually not a feasible option to make a profit with Uber. Kind of defeats the purpose of driving I think the guy is just trying to share his recent experience to help others avoid a potential pitfall.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
Commercial insurance is usually not a feasible option to make a profit with Uber. Kind of defeats the purpose of driving I think the guy is just trying to share his recent experience to help others avoid a potential pitfall.
I suspect you're correct. But doing any livery work without a commercial livery policy is just asking for trouble. And the Uber-provided insurance is the next best thing to having no insurance at all.

·
Super Moderator
15,251 Posts
Your first mistake was telling your insurance company. Your second and biggest mistake is still driving for Uber.
No, his FIRST and biggest mistake was driving for Uber.

Reactions: D Town

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
Any updates from anyone with Nationwide insurance? Do they offer rideshare coverage of any shape or form yet?

There's this from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/comments/75ajwh
But it doesn't answer the question:
If Nationwide effectively 'suspends' coverage while you're on a rideshare trip, will uber also 'suspend' collision coverage because you effectively have no collision coverage?

·
Registered
329 Posts
2 weeks ago I called nationwide to ask a general question about my monthly bill and coverage. I accidently slipped up and told him I was an Uber driver! It has been hell!!!! He began to raise his voice and told me I needed commercial insurance and that if I wrecked they wouldnt cover it
You don't need commercial insurance, you need RS coverage, unless you're giving rides outside the RS platforms. Talk to your agent because you DO need coverage, well, unless you don't mind losing everything you own if you have an accident while ridesharing. Not saying this applies to the OP, but I'll bet there are thousands and thousands of RS drivers out there with no additional coverage piling 5 drunks into their cars regularly, or letting mommy's little bundle of joy ride on her lap. The news story about what happens next is already written.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts