Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a request tonight from a rider named Marquis. He requested UberXL and had a 5.00 star rating. His pickup location was the Doraville Marta station. On the way there, he called me through the proxy on the app, and asked me if it would be okay if he had multiple destinations. I told him that would be fine, as long as he changes it through the app each time.
I got to the Marta station and parked. After I confirmed that it was the right guy and Marquis got into my vehicle, I started the trip on the app. The destination said Papa John's about 4 miles down Buford Hwy. I asked out loud if that was correct for the first destination, and he said that it was.
As we pulled into Papa John's, he changed the destination in the rider app, and then it changed automatically on my partner app. The new destination was down in College Park, and I said it outloud and asked if that was correct. He said that it was correct. I advised it would take over an hour to get there and he said okay, no problem.
It did take just over an hour to get down to College Park, since it was rush hour. When we pulled up to the destination there, he changed the destination on his rider app, and it automatically changed on my partner app. Stone Mountain this time. He talked with someone at the College Park apartment complex, without getting out of the car. I said the Stone Mountain destination outloud, and he confirmed that it was correct. I took him there and dropped him off.

The ride was a total of 53.44 miles and took a total of 109.48 minutes. After calculation and Uber fee deduction, my payout was to be $98.91.
I got an e-mail about an hour later from Uber saying that they have adjusted the fare to $0.00 for the trip. The rider had reported after the nearly 2-hr trip that the "wrong rider was picked up."
I disputed the adjustment and requested that they review it again, and gave them the info of what happened, but they wrote back saying that they will not change their decision because they think I picked up the wrong person. As if the wrong person got into my vehicle and sat through rush hour traffic for over two hours, changing their destination twice after the stops. If it was the wrong person, then when they changed their destination it would not have changed on my partner app.

Has this happened to you? Will I need to actually go to the Uber greenlight place to get this resolved?
Thanks in advance.

- Mark

UPDATE:
Uber took care of it and restored my fee after I e-mailed them a couple more times with a detailed account of what actually happened. I pointed out that it was absurd to believe that the wrong person sat in my car for almost 2 hours, in rush hour traffic, through Atlanta, without mentioning that we were going to the wrong place.
All is well. My take home on that ride is about $100, or about $55/hr before expenses. Not a bad Wednesday evening in that case.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's another funny part of it. I went on my app later and said that I want to change the rating I gave the rider. I said that I wanted to change the rating to a 1 star. When you do that, it asks for a reason. I said it's because this rider requested a ride, and after I took him all around the city for 2 hours, he reported that I picked up the wrong rider.
I received an e-mail from Uber saying that they DID change the rating as I requested, and to let them know if they can do anything else for me.
Uh, yeah, you can give me my 98 bucks again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is an open and shut case. All they have to do is follow the GPS tracking in both phones and they will see that the driver and rider is in the same car. They have access to our locations by default when we use the app. In addition to this, only the rider is able to change the distination unless they claim that the rider stole someone's phone.

It's interesting to me that these so called software engineers that are making 80k+ at Uber fail in the most simplest of areas. Yet another reason why I should use this bachelor's degree for something instead of Uber driving but... I digress.

TLDR?

IF pax or driver uses Uber app
Then GPS location must be on.
If pax and driver are on pretty much on top of each other then pax cannot say he is someone else unless he has a police report stating his phone was stolen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uber took care of it and restored my fee after I e-mailed them a couple more times with a detailed account of what actually happened. I pointed out that it was absurd to believe that the wrong person sat in my car for almost 2 hours, in rush hour traffic, through Atlanta, without mentioning that we were going to the wrong place.
All is well. My take home on that ride is about $100, or about $55/hr before expenses. Not a bad Wednesday evening in that case.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Great to hear it was taken care of, the unfortunate part of this all is that there's a great chance that the rider still didn't get charged for it.

In my famous thread where a rider did a similar complaint that almost got their $300 ride dropped down to $116, the CSR said that my gross amount was reverted back to the original amount on my end implying that they didn't recharge the rider.

And they wonder why they're losing billions each year...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
In nyc this happen hundreds of times daily. This fraud was so typical that gett an uber competitor stopped allowing people to hail suvs a few months back outside of the city. Basically any black and hispanic areas inside and outside manhattan would have nearly 100% fraud rides when an suv was called for (4.50$ per mile). Uber was first to catch on. Juno 2nd. Gett 3rd. Lyft last. I ve done countless fraud rides like this, each averaging hundreds of dollars per hour. The fraud was obvious but it is not my job to say "you are a fraud because you are young black or hispanic coming out of the ghetto". Eventually gett stopped offering suv rides outside manhattan and airports. Juno rolled out a verification proccess where we had to call in and verify evert luxury fare. Lyft is dead and i am not sure what they did to curb fraud. Uber employs something more in depth to verify. Most likely a software solution deployed by the likes of amazon and newegg that works in real time and asks questions only the card holder would have answers to. Never had a fare recalled by uber because i never worked with these people on a repeat basis. It was such a common thing that uber realized they cant screw us here. Some drivers were caught working with these fraudsters. Juno was at once king of fraud. In upper manhattan they were getting crushed by fraud. Every single second someone was trying to defraud them. Uber too but uber has a tonne of legit fares so as a % of legit fares their fraud rate was much lower

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Georgia, this is a misdemeanor (Theft of Services), until the total value of services gets more than $1,500, then it is a felony. If these companies were smart, they would actually start filing charges against them.

O.C.G.A 16-8-5

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I got a request tonight from a rider named Marquis. He requested UberXL and had a 5.00 star rating. His pickup location was the Doraville Marta station. On the way there, he called me through the proxy on the app, and asked me if it would be okay if he had multiple destinations. I told him that would be fine, as long as he changes it through the app each time.
I got to the Marta station and parked. After I confirmed that it was the right guy and Marquis got into my vehicle, I started the trip on the app. The destination said Papa John's about 4 miles down Buford Hwy. I asked out loud if that was correct for the first destination, and he said that it was.
As we pulled into Papa John's, he changed the destination in the rider app, and then it changed automatically on my partner app. The new destination was down in College Park, and I said it outloud and asked if that was correct. He said that it was correct. I advised it would take over an hour to get there and he said okay, no problem.
It did take just over an hour to get down to College Park, since it was rush hour. When we pulled up to the destination there, he changed the destination on his rider app, and it automatically changed on my partner app. Stone Mountain this time. He talked with someone at the College Park apartment complex, without getting out of the car. I said the Stone Mountain destination outloud, and he confirmed that it was correct. I took him there and dropped him off.

The ride was a total of 53.44 miles and took a total of 109.48 minutes. After calculation and Uber fee deduction, my payout was to be $98.91.
I got an e-mail about an hour later from Uber saying that they have adjusted the fare to $0.00 for the trip. The rider had reported after the nearly 2-hr trip that the "wrong rider was picked up."
I disputed the adjustment and requested that they review it again, and gave them the info of what happened, but they wrote back saying that they will not change their decision because they think I picked up the wrong person. As if the wrong person got into my vehicle and sat through rush hour traffic for over two hours, changing their destination twice after the stops. If it was the wrong person, then when they changed their destination it would not have changed on my partner app.

Has this happened to you? Will I need to actually go to the Uber greenlight place to get this resolved?
Thanks in advance.

- Mark
That is absolutely terrible!! Am shocked to hear Uber just automatically took the pax's total lie of an explanation!

In fact this has happened to me on a smaller scale (approx $20). The reason was bad route taken, which it was not. Same type scam though: Pax simply makes up bogus reason to not pay for trip and, Uber foolishly goes for it.

In my case I kept refuting the allegation & was finally paid. However, took around five emails. I was prepared to go to the partner center and argue, like crazy, if I had to.

Hang in there & demand payment! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
the CSR said that my gross amount was reverted back to the original amount on my end implying that they didn't recharge the rider.

And they wonder why they're losing billions each year...
This happens on no-show cancellation fees that LYFT is SUPPOSED TO apply immediately to the driver's account. When they finally agree that they DO actually OWE you the no-show fee....they apply it to your pay as a 'BONUS'. o_O

BONUS? Really?

So I asked Lyft why is it called a BONUS? Is the rider being CHARGED the no-show fee like they should be?

Supposedly, they said they are. Why don't I believe them? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Another good reason to have a Dual dash cam... "Hey...Is that a Camera" ?
Completely agree. Make sure it has audio recording also. Ask them to confirm name on account. Then is the destination .............. Thats in the middle of buckhead right?......
Ok nav sas it will take 45 min ok.
4 confirmations even if they dont change destination.

·
Premium Member
62,949 Posts

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

UPDATE:
Damn shame you have to argue to get what you earned.

They need to start having pictures for the paxs like they have for us. I understand it won't stop all the fraud but it would at least allow it down.
They will have Facial I.D. for the Robot Cars.
Then wave data around about how Robot Cars don't make mistakes.
After they quit screwing us by rewarding Liars !

·
Registered
119 Posts
I pick up people who use their friends/family's account all the time.
Can they claim that I picked up the wrong person and get a refund?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I pick up people who use their friends/family's account all the time.
Can they claim that I picked up the wrong person and get a refund?
They can claim anything at anytime. Unpleasant trip, I felt uncomfortable, car was dirty, trip wasn't ended til way after it should have. Driver was unprofessional. Missed a turn. You may get your money but the star rating stays down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Drivers can set a dropoff location as well. Tap the destination address after you start a trip. I've done it a few times before, maybe I should have played dumb and made the pax do it from their app. Though destination changes haven't been a problem for me so far.
the rider who requested the trip is the only one that can change the destination.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts