Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks beware. You must tell all the clueless pax to meet you at the curb designated for Uber/Lyft/private cars pick up across the road from the Border Patrol building. If you stop anywhere there is a red curb or signs that say MTS only, you will get a ticket.

I had these idiots who kept waving at me, even calling me to come pick them up at the bus curbs in front of the CBP building! I'm like WTF, you want me to break the law in front of the cops! you morons. I cancelled on so many of them it's ridiculous.

Then two weekends ago I saw several Uber drivers got pulled over right there in the red zones by TWO cop cars at a time with full lights on.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
If you are on Virginia ave,then you can pick up pax at the white curb on the side of the mall...if you are on side of jack in box,then watch out for cops,if there are none then simply park at red zone and pick the customers,otherwise u better go inside Jack parking lot

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
On weekend early mornings you're sorta okay back there as there's no cops around there before 7:00 AM.

I got an $85.00 ticket back there one afternoon over a year ago dropping off in the cul de sac. For years before doing Uber I'd drop off relatives there on a regular basis and completely forgot about the existence of the red curbs and no-drop-off signs.

When the cop told me he was giving me a ticket for dropping off I asked him why when everyone does it all the time. He looked at me like I was an idiot and pointed out the red curb and all the signage. Duh...

The correct place to drop off is by the white curb directly in front of the parking lot across the street to the west from the Jack in the Box. That also enables you to get on the freeway easily if you're going up north.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
If you are on Virginia ave,then you can pick up pax at the white curb on the side of the mall...if you are on side of jack in box,then watch out for cops,if there are none then simply park at red zone and pick the customers,otherwise u better go inside Jack parking lot
Don't go over to Jack. Have them cross the street to pickup by money exchange. That is where you drop and pick up.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
i pick up and drop off here in the back , behind McDonald.
I refuse to drop there for two reasons.

1. Traffic
2. They will ticket you from dropping off there

The best place is the white curb by the money exchange and parking lot. You drop them make a right to the freeway.

if this helps this is where your taking about right. never noticed this area before thanks for the help.
That is correct. That's the only spot

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saturday morning, priceless. Cops were out writing multiple tickets, I was cheering them on.

Infrastructure Tree Asphalt Fence Road surface

That was a private car, not even Uber/Lyft. You will get tickets for stopping there on the red curb, and also on the old border side in the cul-de-sac behind the McDonalds and anywhere near that Jack in the Box. I just pick up and drop off only across the road from Jack at the Money Exchange/24 Hrs Parking sign. Whenever I tried to accommodate the pax, I get in trouble, even with the pax because they are so clueless and expect you to come to their feet.

By the way, I notice that all of the Mexicans or at least people who live in TJ know exactly where to wait. Gringos are the worst, clueless and always argue with me as if they are the f-ing boss. I cancel on more Gringos than others.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Saturday morning, priceless. Cops were out writing multiple tickets, I was cheering them on.

View attachment 258586

That was a private car, not even Uber/Lyft. You will get tickets for stopping there on the red curb, and also on the old border side in the cul-de-sac behind the McDonalds and anywhere near that Jack in the Box. I just pick up and drop off only across the road from Jack at the Money Exchange/24 Hrs Parking sign. Whenever I tried to accommodate the pax, I get in trouble, even with the pax because they are so clueless and expect you to come to their feet.

By the way, I notice that all of the Mexicans or at least people who live in TJ know exactly where to wait. Gringos are the worst, clueless and always argue with me as if they are the f-ing boss. I cancel on more Gringos than others.
I could not have said it better myself. We have been talking about this for sometime but there still are those who think they are above the law. If the riders will not walk to you, wait 5 then cancel.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Damn, I've dropped off here several times. No ticket though. One would think this should be the designated drop-off / pick-up area for border crossings...
No that should not be the drop area. As stated, drop by the white curb by money changer across from JIB. This is the best drop and pick up area

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I'll give it a try the next time I'm down there. I think it's been almost a year since I've done a drop off down there, surprisingly.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
So Bill, will you cancel knowing that it will be a nice XL 45 minute plus trip going up to North County or even longer and the PAX does not want to come to you because they have too much luggage or they are not familiar with the area? I do plenty of pick ups by the Jack N the Box and I'll go into the Parking Lot and have the PAX meet me there. Their Security Guards have never said anything. In this case, sometimes you just have to go above and beyond. Now, i am not saying to go park at the red curb to pick up the PAX but if there is a safe place to pick up, why not. I will not cancel the ride and pretty much hand over $$$$ to the next driver

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up a guy who drives Lyft. Said he got yelled at by a cop not to drop off in the cul-de-sac behind McD. The Jack in The Box parking lot is usually so crowded. Plus I wouldn't want to cross the train tracks, cross back, dealing with that slow left turn, having the Greyhound buses on my ass the whole time so pax doesn't have to cross the road over to the money exchange side.

Preferences aside, I found that having a single policy works better for me. Like Bill said, just sit at the right pick up and let them come to you. I don't even answer their calls since that would put you in a potential argument. If they don't show after the wait time, especially on pool, collect the cancellation fee and move on. There are lots of pax at the border.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I know every driver is different but I am the type of driver that won't mind waiting for that traffic to clear. To me, 5 minutes is not going to bother me and i've been there right at the heavy traffic times.

I am just not going to cancel a trip because of me being stubborn about it. Plus, if you are going to sit there where Bill is saying, it is not close enough to the Jack N the Box for you to get a cancellation fee out of it. The App will tell you to get closer to the PAX.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I know every driver is different but I am the type of driver that won't mind waiting for that traffic to clear. To me, 5 minutes is not going to bother me and i've been there right at the heavy traffic times.

I am just not going to cancel a trip because of me being stubborn about it. Plus, if you are going to sit there where Bill is saying, it is not close enough to the Jack N the Box for you to get a cancellation fee out of it. The App will tell you to get closer to the PAX.
0.3 miles is the proximity. There's an internal counter you can't see that still counts even if the app one isn't when you're within range. As long as you arrive manimanu you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts