Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I am a new uber x driver with a full time job and only doing this for a small supplement of $ 100 dollars extra a week . I have done 5 rides all with 5 star ratings. I keep a clean car and a cool chill personality with riders. I have only earned 28 dollars so far on 5 rides . All from mainly the downtown area . $100 extra is a small weekly goal , Any advice on areas , times , etc on how to reach this goal weekly.
Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start, Phil. :) I've been driving part-time since June, with about 300 rides under my belt. What I've learned is from other drivers, and my own limited experience.
  1. Don't drive around looking for pings. Find a spot and wait a while. If you don't get a ping within 20-30 minutes, change your spot. Over time you'll develop a sense for which spots are good, when they're good, etc.
  2. Use the rider app to see if there are a lot of other drivers nearby. If you can, wait where there's not a lot of other drivers.
  3. Don't chase the surge - if one pops up on top of you or in the immediate vicinity, great. Driving any distance to catch one, though, can be frustrating and counterproductive.
  4. Working the airport can be hit or miss. Most rides are $8 runs to the hotels downtown. Sometimes you get a ride out of town, which is nice. Follow the rules for pickup/drop-off. Remember the queue only shows your spot in line with other drivers, not how long until you get a ping. It helps to know when flights are arriving. I use flightstats.com.
  5. Having a goal is good (mine is $50/day). Some days it'll be easy to hit, other days not so much. Stick with it. It'll get better over time, though there will always be good days and slow days. I drive Thursday - Sunday, starting around 10AM. I hit my goal before 3PM on most days.
  6. Do some research on taxes. There's a thread here in the forums with lots of good info. Also, you'll need to track your mileage. A simple notepad will work. I use an iPhone app called Stride.
  7. Be aware that your earnings, even after Uber's cuts, are still subject to expenses. Operating cost (fuel, food, repairs) have an impact that you should measure. Also, you're going to significantly increase the mileage you put on your vehicle. That will increase the frequency of oil changes, tire wear, etc. Finally, putting extra miles on your vehicle decreases its value (depreciation). That's a measurable cost you should be aware of, as well.
I've probably forgotten something, but you'll figure it out as you go. Stay safe, and enjoy driving!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like to tell people to not sweat the short rides. I literally gave a guy a ride a distance of 3 blocks. $2.62 and it only took me 5 minutes of my time. sounds like chump change, but do 5 of those in an hour and see how much you make. Granted it was only 3 minutes to get to him from where I was and not a 10 minute drive to get to him, but either way, im $2.62 richer now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Goals are good to have.
I get off my regular job at 6am. So i log onto uber around 730-8a if i haven't averaged about $9-10 an hour by 11a i start heading home. if i make it all the way home with no ping i stay home. some days its like that but others are busy. ive made $30+ in 2 hours while other days made only $15. Finally approved with lyft so hoping that will make a difference. Like OP just doing the gig for some extra cash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts