Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know NC recently started charging sales tax on certain services. It is my understanding that transportation services such as us do not have to pay sales tax - but I wanted to check and make sure I'm understanding that correctly.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I know NC recently started charging sales tax on certain services. It is my understanding that transportation services such as us do not have to pay sales tax - but I wanted to check and make sure I'm understanding that correctly.
If we were required Uber would collect it in the fare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If we were required Uber would collect it in the fare.
That may not be true ! ! ! Here in RI they STOPPED collecting sales tax in Spring 2015 and now make the drivers collect it at the end of the ride. The driver is responsible for paying it to the state.

UBER had been collecting it in the fare, but had not paid it to the state. There are several posts about the whole ugly journey on this site.

You need to find out from your state tax office or an other tax expert, not from us random blokes in the streets. Not paying required taxes can be both financially and legally painful.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I understand from the most recent budget plan is that transportation services remain untaxed.

Seems it is automotive repair services that are now taxed (unless the vehicle is under warranty). Also services on home appliances (unless under warranty).

I know the Republicans in the NCGA would like to shift to taxing all services over the near future. Remember that when it's time to vote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts