Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Said Goodbye to a $120 Fare...

10K views 101 replies 29 participants last post by  5 Star Guy 
#1 ·
First fare for the evening was an individual requesting a trip from Northern Tampa to Orlando. An estimated $120 Fare. Needless to mention, I eagerly accepted his route and made sure the passenger was comfortable for his hour and a half ride; offering a bottle of water and candy.

As the trip progressed out of his neighborhood, he mentioned to me that he was visiting a friend for "pre-celebrations" of his 18th BIRTHDAY ON DECEMBER 23rd.

I respectfully disclosed to him that I needed to cancel the trip and take him back home. He understood my reasoning, especially about the Uber agreement and insurance legalities concerning trips and minors.

I closed out his trip and e-mailed Uber explaining the situation that just occured.

Question: should I have continued the trip and how did a minor get an Uber account?

Uber has yet to respond to my follow up correspondence regarding the possible fraud of an Uber account and that the customer (kid) probably rated me at an A$$Hole level one-star rating.

Any recommendations and/or similar situations? I feel that I did the right thing.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know the rules on minors, I've heard of teenagers using it, I imagine on their parents account? I did have a mother with her kid who didn't have a car seat. I freaked out a little since it was one of my first rides. I just see dollar signs from lawsuits vs. a $10 ride.

Reactions: glados
#50 ·
Uber user terms of service:

USER REQUIREMENTS AND CONDUCT.

The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you.

The Driver terms of service doesn't mention minors. Uber is playing both sides it seems.
That is OK.

So basically I just threw away $120 faire?
All previous answers are wrong. When a non account holder ex. Family member, boy or girlfriend, minor tries to get a ride it's ultimately the drivers responsibility to pick up only the account holder. But drivers dont want to lose fares. To protect yourself from getting the fare refunded by the pax that scam the system have the person in your car call the account holder and have them ask the account holder to text you a message ok ing the trip name of pax with pick up and drop off location.

#9 ·

The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you.

The Driver terms of service doesn't mention minors. Uber is playing both sides it seems.

#65 ·
Yeah u threw away $120 bro. Many instances parent let's their kids go to school or other places using their accounts, if you feel comfortable you may do that otherwise can cancel. Especially after that long drive, account holder complains he or she wasn't in car or used it. But I would have done it.
And no no to child without car seats. I have declined a few rides. It's not good to risk the lives of children.

#13 ·
Keep hauling these minors and eventually you'll be on TV. Run aways, teens lured by older predators , accidents with minor in car etc

If I were heading to Orlando i prob would have done it. But I would never round trip Tampa/orlando for a measly $120

#23 ·
This is out of date and not reflective of current policy. As I said, the current policy is that minors are allowed to ride alone on the Uber platform. They simply cannot be account holders.
glados since you're such a good company man, how 'bout you tell your bosses to update the language found in

USER REQUIREMENTS AND CONDUCT. under

3. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES
under

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
under

USER TERMS
under

LEGAL on uber's website.

#25 ·

Uber is playing both side, it seems. (emphasis mine)
There it is, right there. It is in direct contradiction to what glados has posted. Drivers go by what is on Uber's website and by the last missive from Uber.

This is out of date and not reflective of current policy. As I said, the current policy is that minors are allowed to ride alone on the Uber platform. They simply cannot be account holders.
If that is the case, why has Uber not updated its website and sent e-Mails to the drivers? I would expect that since Uber is a TECHNOLOGY COMPANY that it would, as a matter of routine, keep its website up to date and send out electronic missives to its "partners" as a matter of course. Who dropped the ball, here?

Keep hauling these minors and eventually you'll be on TV. Run aways, teens lured by older predators , accidents with minor in car etc
There is a not inaccurate citation of more than one potential problem.

And where do drivers find that policy?
^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why has Uber not informed its drivers of an alleged "change in policy"?

Advising people to get deactivated by doing something illegal isn't good advice.
^^^^^^^^^^^Again, what he said, but redirecting it at glados^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SPLAT!.............whew! I just dodged that cowpie that just fell from the sky............ My GOODNESS! Cows can fly! I actually agree with both RamzFanz and SECOTIME on something............and simultaneously, to boot~!

#27 ·
I do not know the rules, even in the suburbs, here, but I do know the City rule. In the City, you can transport a minor age twelve, or over and generally, he is considered responsible for himself. The exceptions would be if there is a collision, the driver fails to drop him where he asks to be dropped or some other catastrophe. If the passenger is under twelve, the driver can transport him, if he is willing to do so, but he his held responsible for him until he renders said minor to an adult.

#28 ·
Drivers also carry third party riders ALL the time.

Since Glados is the company rep here, I'd like to see, in writing, the allowance for 3rd party riders and/or the carriage of minors.

#32 ·
Drivers also carry third party riders ALL the time.

Since Glados is the company rep here, I'd like to see, in writing, the allowance for 3rd party riders and/or the carriage of minors.
I've emailed Uber about both of these. The answer to third party was, if you are aware of it, you should call the account holder for permission. For minors, they said it's up to you.

It seems to me they are punting on both questions.
Last time I checked a minor can board an airplane without an adult.
They are assigned a stewardess chaperone who accompanies them.

#34 ·
Amtrak is 16+ unaccompanied. 15 & under require an 18 year old present.

#35 ·
Amtrak policy:

Children age 12 and under may not travel unaccompanied. They must travel with another person who is at least 18 years old (see *exception below).

Children 13, 14 and 15 years old may travel unaccompanied in accordance with the Amtrak Unaccompanied Minor Policy.

Children 16 and over may travel without restriction.

#36 ·
So I was mostly right. The rules for 13-15 year olds are quite extensive almost making it not worth the effort. These ruled changed a couple years ago when a group of 15 & 16 year olds were kicked off the train in an unfamiliar town when the conductor found out some were not of age to travel. So, Amtrak did lighten the reigns a bit. http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/15-year-old-kicked-off-Amtrak-train-mid-trip-146367045.html

The *exception below that you copied and pasted without explanation is actually very interesting for Uber drivers. Amtrak allows a minor under 16 to travel with someone who is NOT 18 when that person is their parent. IE: a baby can be accompanied by their 16 year old mom and treated as traveling adults.

Would you take a 16 year old mom and her baby in your Uber?

#37 ·
$120 before comission so about $98..then it's not just to Orlando but wherever their destination is right? That just wastes more time and gas. Not worth it in my opinion. What's it turning into...Uber greyhound..lol! Also technically without the proper licensure, permits, and background checks I'd say transporting a minor might be sketchy from an UberX point of view. If there was any allegation a decent lawyer would tear you apart with no protection of licensure.

#39 ·
I respectfully disclosed to him that I needed to cancel the trip and take him back home. He understood my reasoning, especially about the Uber agreement and insurance legalities concerning trips and minors.

I closed out his trip and e-mailed Uber explaining the situation that just occured.

Any recommendations and/or similar situations? I feel that I did the right thing.
Please tell me you are not one of those drivers that REFUSE TIPS coz Papa Uber said we should not? SMDH

I've ubered a 17yr old like 20 times to see his date, movies, theme parks etc and he's a very well behaved kid (after I showed him his 4.2* rating).

he had no idea that his teen antics were messing with his ride acceptance. since then his rating has gone up to 4.8

he always takes $80 round trips, and when I drop him off, I uber in that city, then uber him back

play the system bro, dont run to papa uber all the time

#40 ·
Here is the response I got from Uber 3 months ago regarding unaccompanied minors.

Sep 2, 08:49

Thank you for writing in and let me explain to you the details.

At this time, anyone who is under 18 should be accompanied by an adult while using the service. You can politely inform the parents about our policy in transporting minor passengers.

Feel free to send me an email if you have further questions.

Mark
help.uber.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.