Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how many female drivers lurk about in the Australian UP forums, but it is important that we take our safety seriously and share our experiences.

I have pulled a couple of things from another UP forum in the US and included an article from Forbes.

Please, if you have any suggestions, experiences, and tips of how to deal with difficult/threatening passengers, or other tips for women drivers it would be appreciated.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2015/04/09/female-uber-lyft-drivers/
http://www.taxi-library.org/gord28.htm

Suggested reading "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker, also from the US forum.

Also interesting that UN Woman have pulled out of an Uber partnership.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2015/03/20/un-women-backs-away-from-uber-partnership/

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Becky Solomon drives GC, not sure if she's on the board but I know she has perused the forum. The coast can be a dangerous place to Uber, so many drug users Speed, Ice, Meth and many bring the gear along for the ride in the Uber.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Becky Solomon drives GC, not sure if she's on the board but I know she has perused the forum. The coast can be a dangerous place to Uber, so many drug users Speed, Ice, Meth and many bring the gear along for the ride in the Uber.
Whooo - that is serious.
What would happen if the Uber driver was pulled over, and car and pax searched. Driving illegally for Uber and carrying a drug dealer. Can of worms there. Guilty until proven innocent.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Whooo - that is serious.
What would happen if the Uber driver was pulled over, and car and pax searched. Driving illegally for Uber and carrying a drug dealer. Can of worms there. Guilty until proven innocent.
Agreed, it's really bad!

If you've got a shady character in your car and get pulled over, the Pax don't know you from a bar of soap! It's nothing to them if they wedge something between the seats even if you get pulled over much later and you haven't noticed anything concealed until the police find it. Guilty, no inncocent there! Otherwise Uber is the perfect cover for drug runners; just say your last Pax must have left it in the car. How far do thing that line wold get you?

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Irrespective of the taxi regulations that are ambiguous (or contradictory) about Ubering in each state, there are still other acts and natural law that come in play in this scenario.
1. A contract exists between you and the passenger, but no previous relationship could be established between you and that person.
So if the car was intercepted, why would the onus fall automatically to the driver? If the driver was tested for systemic drug traces and then further submitted hair strands (for more historical drug consumption) and showed no usage, is it likely that the driver is a dealer only and doesn't touch the stuff? Or is it the other dude in the car who isn't so complicit in providing biological proof about their sobriety.
2. I occasionally drive coaches, if I am on a freeway with a weighbridge that's open, I have to stop and am subject to vehicle inspection. It isn't reasonable to hold me to account for the content of all luggage and items brought on board, so how is this any different to having 1-4 passengers compared to having up to 1-50?
3. Although laws vary state to state, but under what circumstances do you think a full vehicle strip search can take place? Police, nation wide have no interest in persuing Uber because it is a state regulation issue and regulators have their own enforcement personnel. If taxi plate owners were acting as pseudo-drug enforcement officers on weekends, then maybe I'd be concerned about my Uber ride.
4. If a drug user/dealer is accidentally leaving behind commercial quantities of drugs behind in random vehicles, then they're not going to be in business long.
If a casual drug user leaves behind a small stash that fell out of their pocket, it's not going to get you 10 years even if you were searched.

Besides, I'm sure as outstanding Uber Partners you keep your cars in impeccable condition and use your portable vacuum cleaner every chance you get.
So those partying goodies are gonna be sucked away in no time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts