Uber Drivers Forum banner

Female Drivers, do you feel safe in all areas, at all times?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, certain areas can make me feel unsafe.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, certain places can make me feel unsafe.

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening!
I have signed up to drive for Uber, but one thing that is really holding me back from my first ride is the safety concerns. I am a female and it scares me to think of all the bad things that can happen. I understand that it may be very low, however I thought speaking to some of you other drivers may help! :)

What are some good tips to feel safe? Do people carry pepper spray? Dashcam? If so, are the passengers offended to seeing a Dashcam, or used to it?

Also, I cleaned my car, but I smoked in it. Is there a way to get rid of the smoke smell, or cleaning it real well and spraying Febreeze should help?

Any other helpful tips for me would be great! Thank you in Advance!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Good Evening!
I have signed up to drive for Uber, but one thing that is really holding me back from my first ride is the safety concerns. I am a female and it scares me to think of all the bad things that can happen. I understand that it may be very low, however I thought speaking to some of you other drivers may help! :)

What are some good tips to feel safe? Do people carry pepper spray? Dashcam? If so, are the passengers offended to seeing a Dashcam, or used to it?

Also, I cleaned my car, but I smoked in it. Is there a way to get rid of the smoke smell, or cleaning it real well and spraying Febreeze should help?

Any other helpful tips for me would be great! Thank you in Advance!
I'm a guy so I'm sure some female drivers will have better specific advice.

That being said, KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES and only unlock them after rolling down your window and confirming your passenger is the correct one. Use this time to also give the rider a once over to generate a general feel for them. If you have ANY bad gut feelings; cancel and move on.

Maybe start by driving days and skip the nights until you get more comfortable, or not drive nights at all. I've found 95% of all people are just normal good folks, but those 5% are the ones you'll remember the most and get your hard learned lessons from. Also skip areas known to be bad parts of town or ones your not comfortable picking people up in. Again, truly horrible riders really aren't that common (annoying ones yes) as most are just regular people, in fact Uber itself has probably pissed me off more than any passenger has.

Always remember you are "the driver" so it's your car/your rules at all times and never bend your rules for anyone. What I'm really trying to say is that you should keep a good attitude but use your tone, body language, and voice to create a shell that let's all weirdo's/a-holes/entitled brats FEEL your confidence when needed (even if on the inside your unsure of yourself or the situation). Many people can be mentally disarmed if the moment they start drama you nip it immediately like a parent or teacher would.

I fully recommend a dash camera, pepper spray, or any and all legal self protection items that you feel comfortable with using despite what uber or anyone else thinks as your on your own out there. A rare pax will ask about my dash camera, none have ever complained, and even if they did have a problem I'd stop and show them the door (hasn't happened though).

Smoke smell is really difficult to truly remove. If it's not that bad just leave it as is, if it's really bad nothing short of a good steam cleaning and lots of elbow grease is really going to help. I've found that most popular deorderizers may seemingly work well but they only mask the smell for a short while.

Finally, search these forums as there is so much good information on here from seasoned members that it will help you immensely. Good luck...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Working only in daylight hours at first is good advice. Get a hang of things, and before you know it the pickups and drop offs will become second nature. Daytime in the summer is mostly people to/from work and business travelers getting around and to/from the airport. Early to mid evening in summer is people going out to dinner/entertainment. Spring and fall bring college students into the mix en masse, they Uber everywhere for everything at all hours. I have a midnight rule of thumb, condition/disposition of riders goes downhill noticeably and progressively after the clock tolls 12. Almost everyone you'll give rides to will be perfectly fine, maybe 1 in 100 will be a weirdo and even then it's most likely because they were over-served. Summer is overall more laid back than when college is in session.

What are considered "bad neighborhoods" in Madison generally don't have Uber users living in them so you rarely ever need to be in them, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not been driving too long, but I made it a rule for myself that starting out I wouldn't drive late at night. Generally I drive in the morning hours before I go to work, or I drive between 4:30 and 9. I know there is money to be had later, but until I am comfortable with all aspects of driving I didn't want the added stress of an obnoxious drunk.

As for the smoke, the only thing I have seen that guarantees to remove the odor is an ozone generator. However I don't know how easy they are to rent or how much they cost.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've had about 1500 rides now and only one when the passenger scared me. More realistically, I scared myself. The person on the account called and said the person who was in the car was using the account fraudulently, so I stopped the car and told the guy to get out or I'd call the cops. The guy argued a bit, but he did get out and there was no real trouble.

I've had a couple of other angry passengers, but fortunately they weren't angry with me. So I had no problems with them either.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Never ignore you gut feelings,

I only drive part time. This is what I did.

Before I started driving I monitored the map, looked for surge patterns in nicer areas then started my driving there. I made more per trip and picked up mostly white collar workers as I got more accustomed to what to expect I started picking up in different areas.

I still make 10:30pm the cut off for my last pickup, less drunks, but Saturday and Sunday are wildcard days people start drinking early.

All that said remember bad cap can happen anywhere any time driving or not, just be aware.

And pepper spray handy can't hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a female driver and have never any fears of driving uber (day or night)
My personal opinion that as long as you have a working phone (what is a must with uber) and able to dial 911 you are covered..
I am asked pretty often by pax if I am afraid of driving at night as well as my friend . She told me people ask very often something "aren't you scared " and she replies with "not at all, my husband is a policeman" (I was LOL non stop when she shared it)..and yeah, her husband is a mechanic but she thinks telling pax that silliness would help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a female driver and I have never been in a situation where I did not feel safe. I drive mostly evenings and into the the late night hours downtown on the weekends. I always stop by 1:30am and I don't pickup at the drunk kiddy bars. I don't tend to take trips in neighborhoods that I am not comfortable in after dark and if the pax can't stand and walk on their own getting to my car, they don't get in my car.

I get the safety question all the time and my answer is that maybe if I were in another market, but here in Madison I feel pretty safe...maybe I should be more worried, but currently I'm not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts