Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in driving for Uber and I want to use my own phone. My question is that can I go online and leave the app running in the background and get a notification when I get a ride request? Or do I need to leave the app open? If it is the latter, that would render the phone useless to anything but Uber when I am online and I should get a second phone just for Uber?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Im interested in driving for Uber and I want to use my own phone. My question is that can I go online and leave the app running in the background and get a notification when I get a ride request? Or do I need to leave the app open? If it is the latter, that would render the phone useless to anything but Uber when I am online and I should get a second phone just for Uber?

What if something goes wrong ( and it will go wrong ) with the app's functionality, you're stuck to deal with it, or email CSR's, who'll just tell you to reboot, etc.

But, if the app is on their phone, if you can't fix it with a simple reboot, etc, they gotta replace, and or fix it. That's why I use their phone.
I"ve replaced the Uberphone a couple of times, when the thing went crazy on me.

Yeah, it's old Iphone4, but, still, I'd rather keep my own phone clear and uncluttered with their app, maybe I'm paranoid :)

I didnt answer your question, but hopefully someone else will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use my personal Iphone 6plus for Uber and it has never failed me. I get notifications no matter what Im doing on the phone. I wasnt aware you could run Uber on android since the Uber phone is actually apple as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use my own phone. Samsung Galaxy S5 and I've never had any issues. You have to be smart by keeping costs down if you want to make any profit. Getting a phone through Uber when you already have one is a waste of money. The app runs fine in the background, but it will warn you if you have it running in the background for too long and log you off after if you don't return to the app.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The uber app will only run in the background for a minute or two, if you don't bring to front when you hear warning (that is, if you hear it) it will close,

Another problem is, if you lose cell connections for a few seconds, the uber app will close with NO Warning,

I am using a ASUS 7" pad it's Wi-Fi only, yes it has GPS, it's only $99 at bestbuy,
I use Google Voice and Hangout apps as phone, it's free so why use your reg cell phone number,
I use a wi-fi t-mobile hotspot, if you have data service for your cellphone you can maybe share it's data so no need for the hot-spot.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The app will run in the background without issues. Depending on what you're doing at the time of a request, the app will come to the front or you'll receive a notification with one countdown chime. If the app is in the background too long you'll also get a notification whether or not you'd like to stay online.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The app will run in the background without issues. Depending on what you're doing at the time of a request, the app will come to the front or you'll receive a notification with one countdown chime. If the app is in the background too long you'll also get a notification whether or not you'd like to stay online.
You will receive that notification about every two to three minutes, which means you will to stop what you are doing and do a app fast switch, But there's no issues, give me a break.

Note, if you lose data connection for a few seconds, the uber app will close without warning..

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
The Uber app likes to be in front on my Android... it will warn you about it shutting down every 5 minutes or so as others have said if it is running in the background.

But if you are out "Ubering" you want it running in the front anyway... and plugged into the cig lighter to keep it charged while MOUNTED in a secure way in your line of sight to the road.

Use your own phone.

Paying Uber $520.00 per year for a tiny 3.5" screen on a 5 year old iPhone 4 is just a bad business decision.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The Uber app likes to be in front on my Android... it will warn you about it shutting down every 5 minutes or so as others have said if it is running in the background.

But if you are out "Ubering" you want it running in the front anyway... and plugged into the cig lighter to keep it charged while MOUNTED in a secure way in your line of sight to the road.

Use your own phone.

Paying Uber $520.00 per year for a tiny 3.5" screen on a 5 year old iPhone 4 is just a bad business decision.
If its your device and you are parked waiting for a ping, why do I need uber app in front, you can't do much of any thing on your own device when the uber driver app is running, many of you don't seem to understand the OP's question,

You can't play games, you can't watch videos, you can't do any real work on your phone when the uber app is running, lyft and sidecar will run in the background, uber will not..

If you are doing anything on your device, you will need to do a app fast switch every few minutes.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I use a seperate Samasung Galaxy Tab 3 to Uber/Lyft. I pay $15 a month for 3GB of Data on my Sprint Plan. It frees up my phone, has a larger display, and is a great conversation starter. I run Lyft in the background and keep Uber open running on screen.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts

Use your own phone. Just remember that after 5 minutes in the background that the Uber driver app will shut down. There is no reason to rent a Fisher-Price phone from Uber.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
When I'm "ubering" I am working.
No games. And no data hog videos.
I do swap apps between the partner app and the customer app to verify things like my car showing up and where other drivers are parked.

Don't shoot the messenger, but Uber wrote the app to sit up front.

I do have an iPad mini lte for Pandora and very rare web surfing, T-Mobile charges $10 extra per month for it on our family plan, free music streaming with no data charge too!... X is too busy here in L.A. to not pay attention.

Two "devices" works better than one, it's just not mandatory.

And again, keep the one running partner mounted in your driving line of sight.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
When I'm "ubering" I am working.
No games. And no data hog videos.
I do swap apps between the partner app and the customer app to verify things like my car showing up and where other drivers are parked.

Don't shoot the messenger, but Uber wrote the app to sit up front.

I do have an iPad mini lte for Pandora and very rare web surfing, T-Mobile charges $10 extra per month for it on our family plan, free music streaming with no data charge too!... X is too busy here in L.A. to not pay attention.

Two "devices" works better than one, it's just not mandatory.

And again, keep the one running partner mounted in your driving line of sight.
I am in LAuberX's camp. I bring a small tablet to read on if there is any downtime. If I am doing something on the phone, I just remember to switch to the driver app every so often to keep it happy. Its better than it used to be, when it would barely go one minute without barking and/or logging off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Runs fine on my Galaxy Note 4, and I get lots of comments about it, Pax love the large screen. I keep my cheapie Verizon tablet with me for downtime.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
If its your device and you are parked waiting for a ping, why do I need uber app in front, you can't do much of any thing on your own device when the uber driver app is running, many of you don't seem to understand the OP's question, You can't play games, you can't watch videos, you can't do any real work on your phone when the uber app is running, lyft and sidecar will run in the background, uber will not..If you are doing anything on your device, you will need to do a app fast switch every few minutes.
This is why I run two devices (both on T-Mobile unlimited prepaid plans) and use Google Voice as my Uber number. One device can always have the Uber app 'active' (front), and I can receive phone calls, txts, etc. on both phones simultaneously - AND be able to to read, FB, websurf, whatever without worrying about having to babysit the Uber app.

Reactions: LBCPriusC

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
This is why I run two devices (both on T-Mobile unlimited prepaid plans) and use Google Voice as my Uber number. One device can always have the Uber app 'active' (front), and I can receive phone calls, txts, etc. on both phones simultaneously - AND be able to to read, FB, websurf, whatever without worrying about having to babysit the Uber app.
we both are doing the same thing, i even have a T-Mobile Hotspot, 7" tablet to run uber and google maps and a smartphone on wi-fi only to run lyft and sidecar and google voice, i don't want uber and the other accounts on the same device, don't want uber spying on me..

look at my avatar and you can see my 7" tablet on the left and my Not-A-SmartPhone on the right, the reg old phone has bluetooth connected to my ford fusion sync, works fuc*ing great..

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
we both are doing the same thing, ..
I saw that - and that's why I replied... very similar.
I run two Android smart-phones (that I own) with T-Mobile prepaid sims...
and while driving I have one of them with WiFi 'hotspot' turned on
so that I can also use my tablet
(which I keep stored between the front seat and the center console while I'm driving).

The phones are both plugged in to power and mounted (one in the CD in the center console - the other on a windshield mount to the very far left of the steering wheel). I use the tablet on battery - and don't generally use it very much in the car. But it's nice to have available.

What I like best about this Google Voice and two phone setup is that as soon as I accept a ping on one phone, I can start the NAV to the pick-up through the app - and then immediately tap the other phone to send a txt to the pax asking them to confirm the pick-up address or name of the building.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I run the driver app on a Samsung Galaxy S4, runs fine in background but I don't do much else on it in between rides other than read/reply to personal texts. I do, however, tether via wifi an old phone (Galaxy S2) to the S4 to do any Web surfing, keeping an eye on the Uber passenger app, etc while waiting for rides. That seems to work well for me

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
I run the driver app on a Samsung Galaxy S4, runs fine in background but I don't do much else on it in between rides other than read/reply to personal texts. I do, however, tether via wifi an old phone (Galaxy S2) to the S4 to do any Web surfing, keeping an eye on the Uber passenger app, etc while waiting for rides. That seems to work well for me
Uber drivers are a resourceful lot. Sounds like you have developed a system for yourself that works beautifully. Uber drivers create little "tech pods" out of their cars. That's pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts