Uber Drivers Forum banner

What's the general consensus in Sydney on this uprising?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any driver representation is a plus. Currently Uberpeople.net is the only way i can communicate with other drivers (besides the very few drivers that I know).

Not sure if the strategy of going offline will work. Maybe putting info pamphlets in your car could be more effective.

You continue to give excellent service but provide the rider with information about the problems with Uber. Soon enough riders will be better informed and they will start tweeting. It won't be long before influential journalists cover the story. This way you get riders on your side instead of antagonising them by creating surge.

Qantas pilots did something similar a few years ago. Instead of striking they just voiced a message of protest into the cabin so all passengers could hear.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any driver representation is a plus. Currently Uberpeople.net is the only way i can communicate with other drivers (besides the very few drivers that I know).

Not sure if the strategy of going offline will work. Maybe putting info pamphlets in your car could be more effective.

You continue to give excellent service but provide the rider with information about the problems with Uber. Soon enough riders will be better informed and they will start tweeting. It won't be long before influential journalists cover the story. This way you get riders on your side instead of antagonising them by creating surge.

Qantas pilots did something similar a few years ago. Instead of striking they just voiced a message of protest into the cabin so all passengers could hear.
Run a system report to see which regular monday drivers were missing in action and then go and deactivate them all.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I worked as a contractor at auspost for 8 years. The types of conditions we worked under were atrocious. I once severely sprained 2 ligaments in my right ankle while on the job. I was told to keep it quiet and continue working. Everybody in the place knew what had happened to me but nobody cared or could do anything. There were many other instances where guys were hurt on the job, had money witheld or were just plain treated like sht because of where they came from. I took a lot of these stories to journalists but nobody even replied. These stories are starting to appear in the news now because of the situation with the ceo.
My point is that nobody gives a fk about our stories because people don't want to read negative stories about services they use. If there isn't some kind of manufactured, sensationalist scandal involved our stories will never get heard.
In saying all this though, I knew what I was getting myself into before I signed up. I know what contractor conditions are. I ended up in hospital on Saturday for an infection that was directly related to my role as an uber driver. It sucks that I had to cop the costs of it and the fact that I couldn't work for a few days but I knew all of this before I signed up. It's the trade off I guess

·
Registered
282 Posts
I worked as a contractor at auspost for 8 years. The types of conditions we worked under were atrocious. I once severely sprained 2 ligaments in my right ankle while on the job. I was told to keep it quiet and continue working. Everybody in the place knew what had happened to me but nobody cared or could do anything. There were many other instances where guys were hurt on the job, had money witheld or were just plain treated like sht because of where they came from. I took a lot of these stories to journalists but nobody even replied. These stories are starting to appear in the news now because of the situation with the ceo.
My point is that nobody gives a fk about our stories because people don't want to read negative stories about services they use. If there isn't some kind of manufactured, sensationalist scandal involved our stories will never get heard.
In saying all this though, I knew what I was getting myself into before I signed up. I know what contractor conditions are. I ended up in hospital on Saturday for an infection that was directly related to my role as an uber driver. It sucks that I had to cop the costs of it and the fact that I couldn't work for a few days but I knew all of this before I signed up. It's the trade off I guess
Sorry to hear about your infection.

You are absolutely spot on with respect to the contractor conditions. Each country seem to have different conditions. What Uber signed up in UK or India is not applicable for Australia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts