Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all this and been doing just eats because I don't like to entertain riders. Do you make more doing eats or driving people? Also do you have to talk to every single rider?

·
25,510 Posts
Most passengers have their noses buried in their electronic toy. They do not have time for you, unless they want to complain about something.

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can make more from Pax but food delivery is what I do but I run multiple apps which mean I have Uber, Grub and Dash on and take the best paying job.
Most passengers have their noses buried in their electronic toy. They do not have time for you, unless they want to complain about something.

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.
Perfect

·
Registered
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan
393 Posts
99% of the time, conversation goes as far as "Hello. How are you doing today?". I rarely get anyone who wants to talk, which works for me but does get sort of boring lol.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I never attempt to start a conversation other than with "How are you"? As others have said, it's rare to have a conversation during most or all of the ride.
However, you need to be prepared for an occasional pax that wants to talk the entire time.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
I'm new to all this and been doing just eats because I don't like to entertain riders. Do you make more doing eats or driving people? Also do you have to talk to every single rider?
No, when it comes to conversation, just speak when spoken too, and if they want to converse, let them start the conversation. Never volunteer it.

It's all about quest bonuses, and as long as they are running, you can make money with both. Like you, I prefer delivering food, for the following reasons:

1. I'm old and don't get enough exercise, to the occasional getting out of my car and walking up a couple of flights of stairs in apartment buildings is good for me.

2. People wear out your car, so that problem is eliminated.

3. Higher paid miles, because how much you make on a delivery is less important on distance as it is the size of the food order, and corresponding tips are not based how big of a trip it is ( like on UberX ) it is based on the size of the food order.

4. With Covid, people in your care in a closed space is probably more dangerous than walking into a restaurant and picking up food.

5. Food doesn't complain if you made a wrong turn or missed the off ramp :).

6. I'm an extreme introvert, so I have no need for company, whatsoever. ANd, I HATE small talk. I like talking about cosmic things, UFOs, weird shit and most people are not like me. As for music, I'm into bossa nova music, a subject with which very few people know anything about. Better I deliver food. :)

7. Lower mileage. I had to drive for 8 hours with Uber X, about 150 miles, to make what I make driving 6 hours with UberEats ( with bonuses ) or GH, which is only 70 - 80 miles. Less wear and tear, all the way around, delivering food.

CAVEAT: keep your food in a sealed bag and do not open the sealed bag in your car. Reason? Food odors, over time, embed in your carpet and upholstery, such that, over time, no detailer can rid your car of the smell. Get two or three bags of various sizes, that are designed for food carrying, trust me on this point. Both UBer and GH have bags with their logos on them, and I like them because when I'm going into a fast food joint, or restaurant, people can see you are a vendor and they won't mind when you cut to the head of the line (if there is a line, depends on the venue). I NEVER wait in lines picking up food, and the logo bags are a godsend. Some restaurants have a special area for food pick up, so those are nice, that do. Some fast food joints make you wait in the drive thru. So, whether or not I am willing to do that will depend on how long the line is and which restaurant. Taco bell the line moves quickly. Starbucks, no way. You just have to figure this out yourself, and keep notes on restaurants Not very often, but a few restaurants ( not the change, but the indiviudal restaurant ) might not start your order until you arrive. Those I black list. Oh, one more thing, every now and then I'll get an order with, say, 6 drinks, so I purchased a drink caddy from Amazon, and though it's rare, it's nice to have it just in case. Try carrying 6 drinks walking around in an apartment building. Not easy. Again, that rarely happens. On really big or difficult orders, I'll call the customer and ask if they can come out and help me, and they haven't minded it, yet.

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
No, when it comes to conversation, just speak when spoken too, and if they want to converse, let them start the conversation. Never volunteer it.

It's all about quest bonuses, and as long as they are running, you can make money with both. Like you, I prefer delivering food, for the following reasons:

1. I'm old and don't get enough exercise, to the occasional getting out of my car and walking up a couple of flights of stairs in apartment buildings is good for me.

2. People wear out your car, so that problem is eliminated.

3. Higher paid miles, because how much you make on a delivery is less important on distance as it is the size of the food order, and corresponding tips are not based how big of a trip it is ( like on UberX ) it is based on the size of the food order.

4. With Covid, people in your care in a closed space is probably more dangerous than walking into a restaurant and picking up food.

5. Food doesn't complain if you made a wrong turn or missed the off ramp :).

6. I'm an extreme introvert, so I have no need for company, whatsoever. ANd, I HATE small talk. I like talking about cosmic things, UFOs, weird shit and most people are not like me. As for music, I'm into bossa nova music, a subject with which very few people know anything about. Better I deliver food. :)

7. Lower mileage. I had to drive for 8 hours with Uber X, about 150 miles, to make what I make driving 6 hours with UberEats ( with bonuses ) or GH, which is only 70 - 80 miles. Less wear and tear, all the way around, delivering food.

CAVEAT: keep your food in a sealed bag and do not open the sealed bag in your car. Reason? Food odors, over time, embed in your carpet and upholstery, such that, over time, no detailer can rid your car of the smell. Get two or three bags of various sizes, that are designed for food carrying, trust me on this point. Both UBer and GH have bags with their logos on them, and I like them because when I'm going into a fast food joint, or restaurant, people can see you are a vendor and they won't mind when you cut to the head of the line (if there is a line, depends on the venue). I NEVER wait in lines picking up food, and the logo bags are a godsend. Some restaurants have a special area for food pick up, so those are nice, that do. Some fast food joints make you wait in the drive thru. So, whether or not I am willing to do that will depend on how long the line is and which restaurant. Taco bell the line moves quickly. Starbucks, no way. You just have to figure this out yourself, and keep notes on restaurants Not very often, but a few restaurants ( not the change, but the indiviudal restaurant ) might not start your order until you arrive. Those I black list. Oh, one more thing, every now and then I'll get an order with, say, 6 drinks, so I purchased a drink caddy from Amazon, and though it's rare, it's nice to have it just in case. Try carrying 6 drinks walking around in an apartment building. Not easy. Again, that rarely happens. On really big or difficult orders, I'll call the customer and ask if they can come out and help me, and they haven't minded it, yet.

8) ...And, unmentioned and missed benefit of free food. This will happen when a delivery goes sideways when the address is not deliverable or the pax decides to change the original delivery address.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
8) ...And, unmentioned and missed benefit of free food. This will happen when a delivery goes sideways when the address is not deliverable or the pax decides to change the original delivery address.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
I've been doing food a year and a half, and I have only experienced it 3 times where I got free food due to a cancellation or flat tire, whatever. So, not enough to make my list.

·
Premium Member
7,014 Posts
No, you don't really have to talk to every pax.......... "in theory". A full 1/3 of them will be buried in their earbuds listening to some crap on their device anyways.

What you should do is create a little 2-3 sentence socially engineered greeting designed to get them to shut up like I have done. If they start talking to you, of course, you need to reciprocate. And, that's where your ability to lie ambigously should come into play.

I used to deliver pizza a long time ago for a stand alone restaurant. I won't do food for these apps though. Too many loose ends for things to go wrong in the system, the pay is shit, and the stories I've read here have convinced me that I am right.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
No, you don't really have to talk to every pax.......... "in theory". A full 1/3 of them will be buried in their earbuds listening to some crap on their device anyways.

What you should do is create a little 2-3 sentence socially engineered greeting designed to get them to shut up like I have done. If they start talking to you, of course, you need to reciprocate. And, that's where your ability to lie ambigously should come into play.

I used to deliver pizza a long time ago for a stand alone restaurant. I won't do food for these apps though. Too many loose ends for things to go wrong in the system, the pay is shit, and the stories I've read here have convinced me that I am right.
I've been doing food on two platforms for almost 2 years. Rarely are there any problems. Really, it's not that bad at all, and a lot less wear and tear on your car. Food won't ***** if you make a wrong turn :), just sayin'. When Uber is running quest, I can do $22 an hour, without them, I don't work for Uber, I go with Grubhub. GH, pays better overall, and can do $22 an hour without bonuses ( GH doesn't have bonuses, to speak of, but the pay is better. ). If you can do better than that with people, more power to ya, but $22 an hour isn't what I would call 'shit'. My GF's son does $30 an hour with Uber, people or food, ( he's in L.A, better market over there, I guess ), but, of course, with Quest bonuses. However, every region is different and I can only speak for myself. Prior to March 11 2020 ( when the virus shit hit the fan ) I did UberX, and I only made about $15 an hour, so that was 'shit', and I found I did better with UberEats.
The reason, and it took me a while to figure this out, but with people, your tips ( if you get them ) are better on longer trips, but with food, it isn't about how long the delivery is, it is the size of the food order that people base their tips on. That is why my tips typically run about 30-35% of gross, and I simply do not get that much doing UberX. The downside is less miles on car ( so less standard deduction, but your car will last a lot longer ).

However, and this is recent and it's probably the summer blues, business is down. In late summer it slows down because people go on vacation (more of an issue in the real nice suburbs). The trick is to work in more urban areas, poorer neighbohoods where no one can afford vacations. But, I'd rather work in the nice 'burbs. More houses, less hassle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts