Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least half my riders say something like this to me: "I heard driving for Uber is very lucrative. Is this your full-time job?" Meanwhile, most are minimum fares that net me less than five dollars. And that's BEFORE gas, maintenance, and depreciation. Where do they think all those "big bucks" come from?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where I live, it's $1 per mile. After Uber takes 20%, I get 80 cents. After expenses, I get about 40 cents a mile, not including miles driven to pin location!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes.. Poor me works great for tips.. I say things like I'm unemployed working only as a driver to scrape by.. I have three kiddos at home that I hardly see.. Hoping this job I just interviewed for comes through.

Works great on the 30+ crowd
"My wife passed away last year and I'm just trying to keep my head above water raising our kids."
She's alive, well and earning a solid income. But the pax doesn't need to know that.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
yoyodyne said:
She's alive, well and earning a solid income. But the pax doesn't need to know that.
I am missing something here. Your wife died last year, yet she is alive? That is an honest question, not a smart ass.

Here in Houston unless one runs the guarantees or surges, there is no money to be made.

I started before 9/11/15 am am paid $1.10/mile.
- Uber's 20% = 88 cents/mile
- $.70 cost per 2 miles to operate car = 18 cents
(1 dead mile, 1 paid mile for gas, oil changes,
maintenance, depreciation, tires, etc)
x 84.7%. Self-employment tax =15 cents profit

15 cents per mile profit
Now THAT's pathetic!
I drive for the loss I can use on taxes for the next two years and I know cities driving for less have even less profit per mile w/o surges and guarantees.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am missing something here. Your wife died last year, yet she is alive? That is an honest question, not a smart ass.
Just some sarcasm. We were talking about things you might say to a pax to get a sympathy gratuity. So, no I would not make up a story about my wife having passed away. My ethics are slippery, but not that slick!

·
Registered
251 Posts
"My wife passed away last year and I'm just trying to keep my head above water raising our kids."
Laughing my a$$ off. That one is choice!
I say very little to my pax, I let them demonstrate just how naive they are by listening to their rhetoric. A few have asked about the Uber riches, lately I reply with " yep, the riches have compelled the drivers to strike".

Enough said.. some get it, some don't.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
yoyodyne said:
Just some sarcasm.
Thx for clarifying. ;)

If pax asked me about how well I do Ubering I might respond, "I am doing pretty good at 15 cents profit per mile to pay for my drug of choice. After 37 miles I have enough money to purchase a venti caramel macchiato at Starbucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Laughing my a$$ off. That one is choice!
I say very little to my pax, I let them demonstrate just how naive they are by listening to their rhetoric. A few have asked about the Uber riches, lately I reply with " yep, the riches have compelled the drivers to strike".

Enough said.. some get it, some don't.
PAX get quiet when you burst the bubble of their ignorance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thx for clarifying. ;)

If pax asked me about how well I do Ubering I might respond, "I am doing pretty good at 15 cents profit per mile to pay for my drug of choice. After 37 miles I have enough money to purchase a venti caramel macchiato at Starbucks.
Most PAX that say something about how much we are making don't want to hear the truth and will argue with you about it.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Most uber drivers I have talked to act like they're making really good money and that I should consider doing it too. Then they would try to get me to use their referral code to sign up. Lol at them.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Most uber drivers I have talked to act like they're making really good money and that I should consider doing it too. Then they would try to get me to use their referral code to sign up. Lol at them.
I really don't understand drivers who fall for the referral code scam. All that does is decrease your future profits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts