Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I come near the end of my shift, I need to know a rider's destination before accepting the trip. I may or may not have time to complete the trip. How can I learn the rider's destination?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In this event, because you are not trying to cherry pick a long ride, it is acceptable to call the customer. I would just say simply, "You are my last ride of the night, I just want to make sure I have enough time to take you. Where are you headed?" If good, say "That's perfect, I am on my way," or if too far/wrong way, say "I'm very sorry but that is going to take me over my hours. If you would please cancel and re-request, I'm sure you will get somebody who is able to take you."

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Before accepting the trip? Sorry.....not possible. :oops: Only way is to ACCEPT the trip request, and then immediately call or text the pax. I have a standard text I send out when in that situation that goes something like: "Uber driver here! :) What is your destination? (City name only please)"
Then, about 90% of the time, they will text back with the city or destination they are going to. If they don't, you can either: Call them or if they don't answer- cancel if you don't want to take the risk of it being a long distance trip.
But....you must at least ACCEPT the trip first. Unfortunately, there is no way to see where they are going BEFORE you accept. o_O

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Guess what San Diego...it appears ability to see rider destination is back..Today, after accepting a trip and starting Nav I had occasion to question the pick up address so for the first time in a long while I went to the Waybill...there was the pick up address and to my amazement below it showed the PAX destination...3225 Harbor Drive (airport)..When I first started driving last July this was there but Uber cancelled it in August. Hope it is there to stay..So, John AU...Look at the Waybill after acceptance and the drop off may be there (only if the PAX entered it upon ordering the ride) and only if this is not a one time fluke today only...the app has been less than reliable the past couple weeks. Today my trip history did not reflect all my rides most of the day...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Guess what San Diego...it appears ability to see rider destination is back..Today, after accepting a trip and starting Nav I had occasion to question the pick up address so for the first time in a long while I went to the Waybill...there was the pick up address and to my amazement below it showed the PAX destination...3225 Harbor Drive (airport)..When I first started driving last July this was there but Uber cancelled it in August. Hope it is there to stay..So, John AU...Look at the Waybill after acceptance and the drop off may be there (only if the PAX entered it upon ordering the ride) and only if this is not a one time fluke today only...the app has been less than reliable the past couple weeks. Today my trip history did not reflect all my rides most of the day...
If it is back then COOL!
I will check out if it is back in sf tonight...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I noticed it today in Columbus, had just made a new post about it since it is a significant change. There is/was no notification, it's just there now/again.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Don't text the pax with the question "where are you going" no matter what the reason... Uber will say you are gaming the system/ and you are leaving a paper trail of what you do.

Call if you must, sound sincere and tired.... good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Don't text the pax with the question "where are you going" no matter what the reason... Uber will say you are gaming the system/ and you are leaving a paper trail of what you do.
I've been doing this for months.....and it's tiring.....and should be unnecessary! So if the destination is actually in the waybill to stay...this is GREAT! But then Uber is extremely SADISTIC. :( They will give you something you've been begging for.....and then almost IMMEDIATELY....take it away from you again! Seriously...like the 5 hrs Chicago had a rate increase...and then OOOPS....it's gone.....never happened. :oops:
But there are sooo many good reasons to let us know the destination beforehand...without having to BUG THE PAX. Believe it or not, some drivers like long trips...and some like short ones. That can even change depending on the day of the week, time of the day....or location. If there's someone 'cherrypicking' the long trips only...then there'll most likely be someone 'cherrypicking' the short ones too! I think this will speed up trips and make pax happier that they get the driver who actually WANTS to bring them where they want to go! I sure hope this isn't just another 'April Fool's day' joke at our expense.:eek:

·
Registered
250 Posts
LEAFdriver, you're 100% on-point. One of my personal faves about the Lyft system is the "Filter Destination" option. You select the area you WANT to drive TO, regardless of where you currently are, and Lyft will only show fares that terminate in that location. It's an excellent way to pick up a couple more rides on the way home, at the end of your "shift".

Why Uber doesn't do that, is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
LEAFdriver, you're 100% on-point. One of my personal faves about the Lyft system is the "Filter Destination" option. You select the area you WANT to drive TO, regardless of where you currently are, and Lyft will only show fares that terminate in that location. It's an excellent way to pick up a couple more rides on the way home, at the end of your "shift".

Wait, Lyft does this? Damn. Learn something useful every day.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

This is NOT available with Lyft here in So CAL. Only Sidecar offers Drop Off area setting here.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Can we get posts from markets where this has been implemented again? I read it's back in NY also, San Diego would be huge (Bill Feit: you Uber in San Diego, right?), because that would give hope for LA, where it's not available.

In any case, this capability will be limited to pax who enter the destination when they order the service. In my experience, very few do that. The majority will enter it once they've hopped in my car and I've quizzed them: "so where are we headed today?". And then there's the contingent that won't enter anything at all.
Yes, San Diego North County. I had nine rides today and three had destination showing in waybill

·
Registered
741 Posts
I bet there are riders who would still ***** to uber about your “destination discrimination” even if you said you had been working twelve hours. Consumers of transport are fantastically ****ing dumb about priorities.

And then there are CSR’s who would send you the wholly-illegal spiel warning you that you as a free contractor HAVE to take them wherever they want to go or you will be FIRED.

Agree about not texting pax whenever possible. CYA.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I can only see Way Bill if i go Off Line, and i cant go off line if i accept a ping.

So how do you look at Way Bill? Through Uber Website?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Click on the little (i) in the upper right hand corner when you've accepted a ride, that pulls up the customer profile for the active ride. Smack in the middle: waybill. You're welcome.
Ohhhhhhh........

Thanks dude!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts