Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a very nice woman requested that I be the only Uber Driver to pick her up for future trips. How can I contact Uber about this so we can do it? I don't want to report the rider, but that appeares to be the only way possible of contacting them about this particular issue.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Uber won't help you with this. As limepro suggested, give her your personal cell. Get close, call her, have her request you.

If this happens too often, though, Uber may not like it.

Reactions: Liz_C

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Tell her to text you, and then request the ride when you get close. making sure to cancel any other Driver not you. Some would say why go through the APP. I would not want the extra insurance burden for 20% more gross. YMMV

Do not contact UBER on this. They will be of no help and you will only get admonishment. If you do not have a way to be able to contact this person. oh well. Be prepared for the next one. I would not go to her door even if I knew where she lived to make this happen. Some drivers have had cards made to give out to select folks.

·
24,240 Posts
Just have her get in your car and request a ride,with your app open you will be the closest driver.
Sadly, it does not always work that way. Uber Taxi users in Chicago do this frequently, if they hail a taxi and it is an Uber Taxi. I have offered this option to my street hails, if they are late or want an e-Mailed receipt over a paper receipt. Usually, the ping does come to me, as the user is sitting no more than six feet from me, in the back seat of my cab. I have had to have the customer do it twice, on occasion; once he had to do it three times. My customers from Chicago who do this tell me that two tries is not unusual and three is not unheard of. Fortunately, if the user cancels in less than five minutes, Uber does not penalise him.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You make it sound as if you consider this some kind of unwritten contract...... Why does she want you to be her exclusive Uber driver? It could be nice to have someone think of you first, particularly on slow days, but otherwise, particularly if it is busy, this kind of request can be a pain in the butt to have to deal with. You could be anywhere when the request comes in.

What does it mean to report or not report the rider?

·
24,240 Posts
It could be nice to have someone think of you first, particularly on slow days, but otherwise, particularly if it is busy, this kind of request can be a pain in the butt to have to deal with. You could be anywhere when the request comes in.
When I worked in the suburbs, I worked for a company that was held by the same company that held the busiest company in that suburb. The ownership treated it like the proverbial stepchild. I needed regulars and requests out there. I had enough that I never had to dig into my pocket to pay the rent unless I chose to take off the day (I was on twenty-four hour rental).

Once I went across the River, regulars and requests became a pain in the tookas. I had some of my regulars that worked in the City, so it was legal for me to pick them up in the suburbs and bring them into the City. Of course, I could pick them up from work in the City. Because I would have to knock off early enough to get to them and be there when required, it started to make me miss out on work. The time required (and concommitant missed fares) cost me more than what the regular/request was compensating me. I have stated more than once that Murphy rides cabs. When the request came in, as a rule, I was far away. Even if the request was willing to wait (which usually it was; either that or the request was calling in advance to make sure that I could get there), still it cost me more in time and missed fares to cover it than what the customer was paying. If the request did come in and I was close, the customer always was calling in advance of the time that he needed me. "Any way you look at it, you lose", as the old tune goes.

Finally, I did manage to shed all of my regulars/requests. Every once in a while, I have taken on regulars, again, but I always screen them, carefully. If the majority of the trips that they are taking are highly profitable (READ: airports), usually I agree to do it. To be sure, these regulars will take a short trip or a trip that I would rather not have (train station), but, you must cover those occasional trips that are less than what you would prefer to keep the good trips that are the majority.

As I am a part-time driver, I do get away with begging off on regular customers that are not profitable. Most people understand that because of my regular job, I am not reliable (my availability is not reliable, that is--if I agree to show up, I do, barring a breakdown, or something). Thus, they are not insulted/offended when I do beg off.

Reactions: Huberis

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If someone suggested this to me, I would say I'm happy you want to ride with me again, but the Uber system doesn't have a way to specify a favorite driver, since when you want a ride I may be off duty or 50 miles away, so Uber sends the request to the closest available driver.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Is it really worth the hassle of being at a single persons disposal?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
You do not want to be that close to the rider, I always make sure I am at least a few hundred yards away from their location.
Not so smart. Get close, like next to the building to assure she does not have to jump through hoops.

I have a half dozen elderly MMJ patients that want a driver with the legal paperwork so they don't have to worry about being dumped at the dispensary.
They call me, I go to their building and call them. They request an UberX, and cxl any other driver that is not me.

It works. It is legal in CA. Everyone gets happy. Uber gets their cut.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not so smart. Get close, like next to the building to assure she does not have to jump through hoops.

I have a half dozen elderly MMJ patients that want a driver with the legal paperwork so they don't have to worry about being dumped at the dispensary.
They call me, I go to their building and call them. They request an UberX, and cxl any other driver that is not me.

It works. It is legal in CA. Everyone gets happy. Uber gets their cut.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, I just have been next to a person requesting an Uber and even though I was a few feet from them it summoned another driver. When I did some research I was told there are algorithms to catch things like arranged rides and if you are to close you get skipped. What I do is call them when I am about a block away and have them request a ride then, always works with no issues. Then I obviously drive to them for the pick up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that uber would have a policy against arranged rides, would frown upon them or go so far as to incorporate some code into their app to prevent it. It would be beyond idiotic for any company to negatively impact loyal, repeat, paying customers. Any first year business student can tell you that the most powerful marketing tool is to create personal relationships with your customer. Their tag line is, in fact, "everyone'e private driver."

If anyone has any proof what-so-ever as to this policy, I'd like to see it... a response from a CSR, a line in the ToS... something beyond just paranoid, anecdotal evidence. This forum is a great resource for drivers but there's definitely some kool-aid being passed around. I wouldn't be surprised if the next viral video comes from a member of this forum showing a pax getting pepper sprayed for asking for a prearranged ride. :p

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that uber would have a policy against arranged rides, would frown upon them or go so far as to incorporate some code into their app to prevent it. It would be beyond idiotic for any company to negatively impact loyal, repeat, paying customers. Any first year business student can tell you that the most powerful marketing tool is to create personal relationships with your customer. Their tag line is, in fact, "everyone'e private driver."

If anyone has any proof what-so-ever as to this policy, I'd like to see it... a response from a CSR, a line in the ToS... something beyond just paranoid, anecdotal evidence. This forum is a great resource for drivers but there's definitely some kool-aid being passed around. I wouldn't be surprised if the next viral video comes from a member of this forum showing a pax getting pepper sprayed for asking for a prearranged ride. :p
Please email Uber Support and ask them directly about setting up rides. You will see first hand how this is against Ubers policy. I think it is ridiculous you want other people to prove this to you, so get off your high horse and email them directly. You will have your answer, I am sure in a less condescending response than your post here today.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts