Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about rider ratings in relation to driver ratings and how they are not created equal. Most drivers, especially new ones, just give five stars to all riders unless they're drunk or ********. Drivers get kicked off the Uber system if their rating falls under 4.6*, while riders generally have to get multiple one star reviews before being suspended. This means a 4.6* on the driver side equals somewhere between a 1* and 1.5* on the rider side. In a perfect world all riders would know that anything other than a five star review for their driver is a failing grade, but as we all know, that is not the case.

Short rides are a complete waste of a driver's time and fuel, especially if the trip to pick them up is long or the wait time is more than a few minutes. Minimum fare rides are given at a loss to the driver and are done at times when a driver could be doing a profitable trip, particularly during surges. If all drivers got were four dollar rides all day, they would go broke quickly.

Lately i've picked up riders for minimum fare trips who have 4.5* or above ratings and seem to do the same commute via Uber a lot. Personally, I rate no higher than three stars for minimum fare trips unless a tip is involved. Walking distance trips are rated at one star unless the person obviously could not do the walk. Obviously I also rate down for the usual stuff that pisses everyone off as well.

Rider ratings should be an indicator as to how much a PAX wastes a driver's time and money. If a rider is totally cool, but does nothing but short trips, their rating should fall around three stars. It sounds terrible compared to driver ratings, but isn't going to get their account revoked. People who only take long rides would have a rider rating closer to five stars. Drivers who are actually paying attention could quick cancel lower rated drivers. Even low rated riders will always be able to get picked up since there are always tons of new drivers who don't know better.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Correct. I've started rating riders 3 stars if it's a minimum, within a buck or three. Now, if they tip, automatic 5 stars. Long rides, no tip get 4 stars.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I remember around six months ago, those that would give no higher than a 4 if the pax didn't tip were overwhelmingly berated here. At the time I didn't have an opinion on the matter.

Now, I don't give a 5 to anyone unless they tip. It just makes no sense anymore to me to give the highest score possible to a pax who did not go above and beyond. 4 is still a great score given it's well above the 1.5 they would have to have to get kicked off the system.... oh hell, what am I saying. There is no rating they could have to get kicked off, so 4 a great score for them. It's not perfect, but still great. If pax are bothered by 4 scores, then all they need to do is tip. I doubt any driver would rate a tipping pax anything less than a 5.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct. I've started rating riders 3 stars if it's a minimum, within a buck or three. Now, if they tip, automatic 5 stars. Long rides, no tip get 4 stars.
I still give five stars for long trips without tips. Helps indicate that they don't have a short trip habit. I see a lot of 4.9* and 5* riders in Pasadena who only use Uber to get to and from the airports when they fly on business.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I still give five stars for long trips without tips. Helps indicate that they don't have a short trip habit. I see a lot of 4.9* and 5* riders in Pasadena who only use Uber to get to and from the airports when they fly on business.
Yep, we all have our own way of rating passengers. A 5 star, to me, usually means a new rider.

On another subject, I've also taken a few celebrities that had 5 stars. They didn't tip, and didn't take long trips. Seems that some drivers give celebrities 5 stars, just because. I treat all passengers the same. Tip = 5 stars, no tip but behaves = 4 stars, short trips and behaves = 3 stars, jerks/etc = 1 star.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I agree I recently started 4* pax who don't tip. And 3* to those shitty 2 miles or less rides. 1* to ********. I've given about 300rides so far and had only a hand full of pax that tipped so far.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree I recently started 4* pax who don't tip. And 3* to those shitty 2 miles or less rides. 1* to ********. I've given about 300rides so far and had only a hand full of pax that tipped so far.
Yep, I only get about 1 tip a day. Sometimes 2. I'm a plus driver and my driver rating is near 5.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I suggest we reserve the 1* only for the pax that other drivers must be warned about.
If a pax is so horrible that you must keep something on the record about him for future reference, just in case a fellow driver gets into trouble with this pax, you must give a 1* and tell uber about it using 'report a serious concern with rider'.

Do not hand out the 1* like a candy. If you give a 1*, you should also report a serious concern about the pax. If not, maybe that 1* should be a 2*.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it possible that we could all agree on a rating system? I would love it if we had a standard, I think we all agree Tip = 5 *

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How low does a pax rating have to get to get booted off uber. Lowest I've got ping from was a 3.6* irony was that ping came from lbc courthouse :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I suggest we reserve the 1* only for the pax that other drivers must be warned about.
If a pax is so horrible that you must keep something on the record about him for future reference, just in case a fellow driver gets into trouble with this pax, you must give a 1* and tell uber about it using 'report a serious concern with rider'.

Do not hand out the 1* like a candy. If you give a 1*, you should also report a serious concern about the pax. If not, maybe that 1* should be a 2*.
I agree: 1* should be a report to Uber. I have only reported one passenger, his buddy left an open full beer on the back floor waiting to spill.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've only given a few 1*s. As to uber booting a pax off the system, is like a Chinese restaurant saying no to fresh cat meat - in Hong Kong, that is!

Uber will take any paying passenger, even if they vomit and are shit-heads on every single ride. As long as they pay, they ride - that is how uber sees it.
Now, as for us drivers, if we step out of line with a 4.6 out of 5, we may get booted for no reason at all. There's like 100 more drivers that can take that ride.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can riders see their rating? I mean if I give someone a 3* and after a few hours or a few days when he tries to use uber again, he realizes that his rating has dropped, probably he'll just 1* me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here is the official guideline for rating Uber passengers:
5* - tipping pax, regardless of ride distance. 2.0X or greater surge, tip not required if pax is reasonably pleasant.
4* - non-tipping but pleasant pax, ready at curbside, destination entered.
3* - non-tipping pax, short ride distance, slightly inaccurate pin drop (ie: across the street), up to 5 minute wait to enter car.
2* - non-tipping unpleasant pax, wildly inaccurate pin drop, 5 or more minute wait to enter car, slam car door, unsafely opening rear driver-side door, requests for driver to make multiple stops and wait, requests for extras (water, candy, gum, aux cable) for short distance and non-surge rides. A very generous tip may increase rating up to a 4*.
1* - unpleasant and unreasonable pax, damage to car, vomit, flatulence, open container, drug related ride, etc. Tipping will not improve pax rating.

For Lyft passengers, increase rating by a * for each description since tip may be given. 1* rating remains the same.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Can riders see their rating? I mean if I give someone a 3* and after a few hours or a few days when he tries to use uber again, he realizes that his rating has dropped, probably he'll just 1* me.
Not on their app. They can request from Uber, but extremely unlikely for pax to know that they can. They may ask their next driver or the next driver may share their rating, but only 1 out of 100 pax ask to know their rating in my experience. My default answer to this is, "I don't remember, but I only pick up 4.5+ pax." In reality, my threshold is 4.8. If I rate them poorly, it's less likely for them to know which driver dropped their score.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pax have 24 hours to leave a rating.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Been thinking about rider ratings in relation to driver ratings and how they are not created equal. Most drivers, especially new ones, just give five stars to all riders unless they're drunk or ********. Drivers get kicked off the Uber system if their rating falls under 4.6*, while riders generally have to get multiple one star reviews before being suspended. This means a 4.6* on the driver side equals somewhere between a 1* and 1.5* on the rider side. In a perfect world all riders would know that anything other than a five star review for their driver is a failing grade, but as we all know, that is not the case.

Short rides are a complete waste of a driver's time and fuel, especially if the trip to pick them up is long or the wait time is more than a few minutes. Minimum fare rides are given at a loss to the driver and are done at times when a driver could be doing a profitable trip, particularly during surges. If all drivers got were four dollar rides all day, they would go broke quickly.

Lately i've picked up riders for minimum fare trips who have 4.5* or above ratings and seem to do the same commute via Uber a lot. Personally, I rate no higher than three stars for minimum fare trips unless a tip is involved. Walking distance trips are rated at one star unless the person obviously could not do the walk. Obviously I also rate down for the usual stuff that pisses everyone off as well.

Rider ratings should be an indicator as to how much a PAX wastes a driver's time and money. If a rider is totally cool, but does nothing but short trips, their rating should fall around three stars. It sounds terrible compared to driver ratings, but isn't going to get their account revoked. People who only take long rides would have a rider rating closer to five stars. Drivers who are actually paying attention could quick cancel lower rated drivers. Even low rated riders will always be able to get picked up since there are always tons of new drivers who don't know better.
Loool ur so harsh bro but I love it I see ur point. I don't drive a prious so I know how those 2$ rides kill my gas and time and milage. Preach on brother

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not on their app. They can request from Uber, but extremely unlikely for pax to know that they can. They may ask their next driver or the next driver may share their rating, but only 1 out of 100 pax ask to know their rating in my experience. My default answer to this is, "I don't remember, but I only pick up 4.5+ pax." In reality, my threshold is 4.8. If I rate them poorly, it's less likely for them to know which driver dropped their score.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pax have 24 hours to leave a rating.
Hope you are right because today I've already given a few 2*s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is the official guideline for rating Uber passengers:
5* - tipping pax, regardless of ride distance. 2.0X or greater surge, tip not required if pax is reasonably pleasant.
4* - non-tipping but pleasant pax, ready at curbside, destination entered.
3* - non-tipping pax, short ride distance, slightly inaccurate pin drop (ie: across the street), up to 5 minute wait to enter car.
2* - non-tipping unpleasant pax, wildly inaccurate pin drop, 5 or more minute wait to enter car, slam car door, unsafely opening rear driver-side door, requests for driver to make multiple stops and wait, requests for extras (water, candy, gum, aux cable) for short distance and non-surge rides. A very generous tip may increase rating up to a 4*.
1* - unpleasant and unreasonable pax, damage to car, vomit, flatulence, open container, drug related ride, etc. Tipping will not improve pax rating.

For Lyft passengers, increase rating by a * for each description since tip may be given. 1* rating remains the same.
I'll start using this immediately. I'm also going to become more picky in terms of which pings to accept. I'm currently around the 80% mark. I guess I'll hear from Uber next week to improve my acceptance rate

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll start using this immediately. I'm also going to become more picky in terms of which pings to accept. I'm currently around the 80% mark. I guess I'll hear from Uber next week to improve my acceptance rate
I've become super picky about which pings I take. Avoid grocery stores, metro stations, and laundromats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts