Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: newbie question to follow!
Drove my first shift last night. Arrived to pick up rider. After 2 minutes I sent a text to rider. Promptly got a cancellation. Should I get a cancellation fee for this?

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Welcome to Screwbur... where you get to drive miles without being paid. Next up? A request from 30 minutes away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Warning: newbie question to follow!
Drove my first shift last night. Arrived to pick up rider. After 2 minutes I sent a text to rider. Promptly got a cancellation. Should I get a cancellation fee for this?
Hi Uber_Andy. We get paid a cancellation fee after waiting for 5 minutes after the rider is notified. If i were you, unless its really busy and you know that you are missing out on other rides while waiting, wait out the 5 mins before calling or messsaging the rider. Getting paid $7.50 is better than driving away empty handed.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
Uber_Andy, congratulations on getting out there. Well done.

The cancellation fee in Canberra is $10 ($7.50 after Uber's commission).

Cancellation fees apply for us only in two circumstances.

The first is if the rider cancels a trip request more than five minutes after requesting and you're running no more than five minutes later than the travel time shown in the app.

The second is if the rider doesn't arrive at the pickup location within five minutes of your arrival.

The cancellation clock resets once you arrive at the pickup location and the rider is notified. In your case, only two minutes had passed since you had arrived. It makes no difference that you might have spent 10 minutes (or longer) driving to the pickup location.

Canny riders can take advantage of this.

Let's say it's a ten minute trip to the pickup location and you're running on time but they realise after five minutes that they don't want an Uber after all. Perhaps a friend has just offered them a lift.

They know that if they cancel at that time they will be hit with a $10 cancellation fee. What they can do is wait until you arrive five minutes later so that the cancellation clock resets and they have up to another five minutes in which to cancel without having to pay a cancellation fee.

Sometimes riders inadvertently input their intended destination rather than the intended pickup address. When you text them, they cancel because they realise you're waiting where they're wanting to get to rather than where they currently are.

There is in-app guidance on cancellation fees (and many other matters). Go to 'Earnings'; then 'Daily Earnings'; then 'Earnings Help'; then 'Understanding Payments and Fares'; and finally 'How are cancellation fees charged?'.

(The in-app commentary refers to UberPOOL. We don't have UberPOOL anywhere in Australia so that part of the commentary is irrelevant to us.)

I hope this helps.

[Edit made on Monday 27 February 2017 at 9.32 am (Canberra time). I now suspect that what I have said above about the cancellation clock resetting is wrong. Please see the post by Fuzzyelvis below. Sorry about that.]

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts
Uber_Andy, congratulations on getting out there. Well done.

Cancellation fees apply for us only in two circumstances.
The first is if the rider cancels a trip request more than five minutes after requesting and you're running no more than five minutes later than the travel time shown in the app.
The second is if the rider doesn't arrive at the pickup location within five minutes of your arrival.

The cancellation clock resets once you arrive at the pickup location and the rider is notified. In your case, only two minutes had passed since you had arrived. It makes no difference that you might have spent 10 minutes (or longer) driving to the pickup location.

I hope this helps.
Sorry to take away from the OP at this point, I will return.

This forum is a fountain of knowledge. Thank you, Jack.

Jack Malarkey said:
The cancellation clock resets once you arrive at the pickup location.....
You learn something every day. I didn't know this. In fact, I am staggered if this is the case!
Not only have I never heard or read of this, but I'm sure I have had situations contrary to this. I will look them up.
Thanks Jack, I will come back.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

You learn something every day. I didn't know this. In fact, I am staggered if this is the case!
Not only have I never heard or read of this, but I'm sure I have had situations contrary to this. I will look them up.
This is absolutely not the case where I am (Houston). I'd be surprised if it works that way there. If you read what the policy says in the app it does NOT say that. I think the person telling you it resets is mistaken. However, very often you simply don't get the fee unless and until you complain. At that point they tell you that you didn't qualify and generally explain the rule. You reply telling them you know the rules and should get the fee and then they give it to you. The 5 minutes after arrival rule applies if YOU cancel as no show only.

Note that if you arrive in 1 minute and they cancel after another 3 minutes 58 seconds you do not get a cancel fee. I don't arrive too quickly if I can help it. Pax often cancel if you're too fast and they're not ready.

It's the uber way. They hope you don't notice/give up.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
This is absolutely not the case where I am (Houston). I'd be surprised if it works that way there. If you read what the policy says in the app it does NOT say that. I think the person telling you it resets is mistaken. However, very often you simply don't get the fee unless and until you complain. At that point they tell you that you didn't qualify and generally explain the rule. You reply telling them you know the rules and should get the fee and then they give it to you. The 5 minutes after arrival rule applies if YOU cancel as no show only.

Note that if you arrive in 1 minute and they cancel after another 3 minutes 58 seconds you do not get a cancel fee. I don't arrive too quickly if I can help it. Pax often cancel if you're too fast and they're not ready.

It's the uber way. They hope you don't notice/give up.
I suspect I'm wrong about the cancellation clock resetting and that Fuzzyelvis and Who is John Galt? are correct.

I apologise for any wrong information I provided. I'll edit my earlier post to draw attention to the error.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Welcome to Screwbur... where you get to drive miles without being paid. Next up? A request from 30 minutes away.
Lyft has already removed the time-to-pickup estimate from the ping screen. They still show the street name at ping time, which is fine if you know every street name in the 400 square mile radius from which pings here can come.

This fun fact is totally unrelated to anything being discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Thanks, elelegido, for sharing this.

Lyft doesn't currently operate outside the United States but it's good for us to understand how it does operate and any differences from Uber.
I refer to them jointly as Uberlyft. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same company. Lyft has a better reputation among drivers, but it isn't deserved. They're just as bad as Uber but they are much better at concealing their misdeeds. They talk of a "Lyft community" and try to make out that that they're on our side, but it's just (a quite effectively done) glossing over of facts.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'll wait five minutes before texting. I think we are told to do this anyway. Often I'll be literally just around the corner and they aren't expecting me to be there quite so quick. If I wait five minutes, then I know I'll get a cancellation fee if either one of us pulls the job. Only fair.

A very poor practice is drivers arriving, sitting outside quietly, and cancelling after five minutes without texting. Yeah, you get your $7.50, but you also get a passenger who isn't as likely to call Uber again.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have become quite pushy about ringing pax if they are not out quickly. This is my rationale:

1. they have an ETA, can watch us travel on their phones, and get a text when we arrive.
2. if they are not there asap after we arrive this may be because...they can't find their keys (had that a lot!...been there myself...), are inconsiderate bastards, are pissed, have a slow refresh rate on their phone so think we are still en route, don't hear the text come in, are given a long ETA which changes after a u-turn...etc
3. I find that we are given the incorrect address often enough that after taking all the things in point 2 in to account, it is prudent to RING quite soon to hurry them along, tell them I am actually there when the system has broken down and they don't know I have arrived AND check that the address is actually where I am meant to be.

I catch quite a few incorrect addresses this way, as well as people who simply think I am still on the way...everyone is happy that way...and if the passenger is not happy with being rung when they are not out quickly, then they can HTFU.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
My usual practice is to text after two minutes and to phone after five minutes. If there's no answer to the phone call, I then cancel.

I'll phone as soon as I arrive if there's a big crowd or if I sense the passenger may be waiting elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts

G'day Jack Malarkey and Uber_Andy

Sorry, I have been a bit tardy in coming back. o_O
I looked some stuff up and I am pretty much convinced that the cancellation fee applies as I initially stated.
Thankfully these are pretty rare, but I had another of these situations last Saturday afternoon.
I have found the best way to deal with this, is to immediately send a message through the app, registering the event, if you like.
Below are some screenshots of the 'conversation progression'.

Rectangle Font Map Line Screenshot Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Software

This is outlined in the Übe's 'rules' and this is specifically found in the app at this address:

On the App - Account Tab
Help/
Payments and Rewards/
Understanding Payments and Fares/
How are Rider Cancellation Fees Charged/

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Document

I hope this clarifies the situation. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't WANT a pax who makes me wait over 5 minutes to call uber again.
I don't want Trump in the White House, but well, you know.

Had a passenger yesterday who was running for a plane. I drove quite a way to get there, and it took him five minutes to get out, not responding to my text. I was on the verge of driving off when he came out, saying he'd misplaced his wallet and had turned the house upside down looking for it.

Got him to his plane on time. Just.

If I'd driven off, how would he have felt about Uber?

I'm not in this to get every last dollar out of my shift. Let's face it, the pay is crap and if I wanted money I'd be doing something else.

I do this because I enjoy it, and because I can help others, and because the taxi service is so bloody awful.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
G'day Jack Malarkey and Uber_Andy

Sorry, I have been a bit tardy in coming back. o_O
I looked some stuff up and I am pretty much convinced that the cancellation fee applies as I initially stated.
Thankfully these are pretty rare, but I had another of these situations last Saturday afternoon.
I have found the best way to deal with this, is to immediately send a message through the app, registering the event, if you like.
Below are some screenshots of the 'conversation progression'.

View attachment 102935 View attachment 102932 View attachment 102934

This is outlined in the Übe's 'rules' and this is specifically found in the app at this address:

On the App - Account Tab
Help/
Payments and Rewards/
Understanding Payments and Fares/
How are Rider Cancellation Fees Charged/

View attachment 102931

I hope this clarifies the situation. :)
Many thanks, Who is John Galt?, for this helpful and comprehensive guidance. Have a great time visiting Tasmania.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
I don't want Trump in the White House, but well, you know.

Had a passenger yesterday who was running for a plane. I drove quite a way to get there, and it took him five minutes to get out, not responding to my text. I was on the verge of driving off when he came out, saying he'd misplaced his wallet and had turned the house upside down looking for it.

Got him to his plane on time. Just.

If I'd driven off, how would he have felt about Uber?

I'm not in this to get every last dollar out of my shift. Let's face it, the pay is crap and if I wanted money I'd be doing something else.

I do this because I enjoy it, and because I can help others, and because the taxi service is so bloody awful.
MASSIVE MASSIVE FAIL!!!
you NEVER EVER call or text riders unless surge 2.0 or more... Confirm you arrived a minute before you do, set timer and cancel after 5 minutes and 3 seconds and move on...
They will call uber again dont worry about that, only from then on they will always be on time...
People like you are ruining it for your fellow drivers, these pax will sh*t all over you if you let them!

My usual practice is to text after two minutes and to phone after five minutes. If there's no answer to the phone call, I then cancel.

I'll phone as soon as I arrive if there's a big crowd or if I sense the passenger may be waiting elsewhere.
ANOTHER MASSIVE FAIL
You are wrecking it for yourself and others... No call, no text unless 2.0x or more

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
You are not in Canberra - we don't get much in the way of surge fares. Also, what you suggest is just more system gaming that is essentially poor service.

It is SO annoying when passengers are not out quickly, but I don't see that leaving after 5 mins exactly is going to create happy campers, and will lead to people not using Uber.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
You are not in Canberra - we don't get much in the way of surge fares. Also, what you suggest is just more system gaming that is essentially poor service.

It is SO annoying when passengers are not out quickly, but I don't see that leaving after 5 mins exactly is going to create happy campers, and will lead to people not using Uber.
SUPERFAIL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts