Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pick up pax. Good looking, dressed provocatively. She asks if we can change the destination address to her friends house which I oblige. About 15 mins into our 30 min drive the ride gets canceled. I say did you accidentally cancel the ride? She says no, that's weird, the same thing happened last night. I said ok maybe there's something up with your app. I told her to re-request a ride and I'll just accept. I get the request, I accept, it gets canceled immediately. She says I'm so sorry I don't know why this is happening I have cash, can I just pay you when we get there. I decide not to kick her out on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and we agree to $20. We get to her friends house, they decide they want to go out and ask for a ride. I said sure just request a ride and I'll pick it up. Her friend pings and I accept. Original girl gets in front and asks if she can turn on the dome light to do her makeup. I say nope you may not. I ask her who Jon is (that was the name of the pax that requested the ride) and she she says that's her dad and he's a real jerk. I take them to their destination. The original girl says ok thanks and proceeds to exit my car. I say wait, you owe me from the first ride. She says but my friend just requested the ride. I say but I gave you a ride to your friends and you didn't pay me, we agreed to cash, remember? Then she proceeds to tell me how confused she is. She asks her friend if she has 20 bucks. Then finally pays me. Wtf shady ass riders.

I know this story is boring - I guess I'm just curious if any other drivers get a-holes like this and what you do in these situations. I was so annoyed, I reported to uber. Not sure if that does anything but they responded that I will no longer get ride requests from that user. Wait til I post the story of the guy that offered to give me a hand job.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had same story with cancelled ride. Didn't knock him out proceed to destination about a mile, than I looked at history he was charged as it should be, from point A to B. That's weird
I told him why you cancelled, he said I didn't, payed me 40 cash and ride was 40. So 80 bucks for 5 miles not bad I guess

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
So I pick up pax. Good looking, dressed provocatively. She asks if we can change the destination address to her friends house which I oblige. About 15 mins into our 30 min drive the ride gets canceled. I say did you accidentally cancel the ride? She says no, that's weird, the same thing happened last night. I said ok maybe there's something up with your app. I told her to re-request a ride and I'll just accept. I get the request, I accept, it gets canceled immediately. She says I'm so sorry I don't know why this is happening I have cash, can I just pay you when we get there. I decide not to kick her out on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and we agree to $20. We get to her friends house, they decide they want to go out and ask for a ride. I said sure just request a ride and I'll pick it up. Her friend pings and I accept. Original girl gets in front and asks if she can turn on the dome light to do her makeup. I say nope you may not. I ask her who Jon is (that was the name of the pax that requested the ride) and she she says that's her dad and he's a real jerk. I take them to their destination. The original girl says ok thanks and proceeds to exit my car. I say wait, you owe me from the first ride. She says but my friend just requested the ride. I say but I gave you a ride to your friends and you didn't pay me, we agreed to cash, remember? Then she proceeds to tell me how confused she is. She asks her friend if she has 20 bucks. Then finally pays me. Wtf shady ass riders.

I know this story is boring - I guess I'm just curious if any other drivers get a-holes like this and what you do in these situations. I was so annoyed, I reported to uber. Not sure if that does anything but they responded that I will no longer get ride requests from that user. Wait til I post the story of the guy that offered to give me a hand job.
Here's what probably happened...

A father uses his Uber passenger app to order a ride for his daughter to go from point A to point B. Mid-ride, the daughter tells the driver to go to point C instead. Father can see the Uber is going in the wrong direction, either because he was following it all along on his app screen or because he was notified of a change in destination when the driver entered it himself into the driver app. The father doesn't like being lied to, when he discovers the daughter's real intent was to go to point C. So, he tries to control the situation/daughter by canceling the ride. The driver is simply caught in the middle.

This situation is simply another example of what can go wrong when accepting a ride request from an account holder who is not the same as the person in the car. For any reason, the account holder may not agree with the final destination, or paying for the cost of going to the final destination. He could even deny knowing the passenger who entered the vehicle since it clearly wasn't him. The entire fare could be canceled and the driver will get a 1-star for his efforts. Suggestion for the future: if it's possible, call the account holder for permission to change the destination. Hopefully, you're not in the middle of nowhere if the account holder says "no".

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You got played by kids using their parents account.
Shouldn't accepted minors, agianst Uber policy and nothing but trouble.
Expect your rating to take a hit from the parents giving you 1*

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This is why the app should require pax to get your phone close to theirs so NFC can identify them as the correct rider and allow the trip to begin.
You seem to be suggesting that ordering a ride for someone else who is not the account holder is never legitimate. I wouldn't go that far, but such trips do have a higher possibility of issues.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
We don't know if the female in the original story was a minor or not.
They're worried about their dad being a jerk and cancelled the ride! Would you bet money they weren't? Or would you play it safe if you were in that situation?

Personally, I would have returned the 1st PAX to the pick up address and been done. Then sent Uber an email requesting a fare adjustment.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Personally, I would have returned the 1st PAX to the pick up address and been done. Then sent Uber an email requesting a fare adjustment.
If you had returned the first passenger back to her pickup address, she would have been furious, and the account holder would have been justifiably upset you didn't bring the passenger to the final destination he entered into the app. You would have *all* parties angry with you. You would risk getting a fare adjusted, with reason, to zero. Not a good plan.

The only solution I see in these situations is to call the account holder when getting new destination instructions from the passenger. It's all about communication.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you had returned the first passenger back to her pickup address, she would have been furious, and the account holder would have been justifiably upset you didn't bring the passenger to the final destination he entered into the app. You would have *all* parties angry with you. You would risk getting a fare adjusted, with reason, to zero. Not a good plan.

The only solution I see in these situations is to call the account holder when getting new destination instructions from the passenger. It's all about communication.
It was too late to get destination instructions. Ride was cancelled, over, no way to restart it, meaning he technically should have pulled over and kicked out the passsangers.
Then accept the next ping, which would not be them probability speaking, if they could re-request a ride. He had to go off line to finish the first cancelled trip. Not legal, no insurance, no protection.

So, they're already upset because the driver changed the destination, so they cancelled, he's getting 1*.
Leave her on the curb, or take her home.

If she was my daughter, I'd think about calling the police if a driver was taking her NOT where instructed! Either the driver or my daughter needs a scared straight moment.

He could get deactivated if daddy finds out he drove offline, and forced her to pay him cash, and reports all of this to Uber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was too late to get destination instructions. Ride was cancelled, over, no way to restart it, meaning he technically should have pulled over and kicked out the passsangers.
Then accept the next ping, which would not be them probability speaking, if they could re-request a ride. He had to go off line to finish the first cancelled trip. Not legal, no insurance, no protection.

So, they're already upset because the driver changed the destination, so they cancelled, he's getting 1*.

If she was my daughter, I'd think about calling the police if a driver was taking her NOT where instructed! Either the driver or my daughter needs a scared straight moment.

He could get deactivated if daddy finds out he drove offline, and forced her to pay him cash, and reports all of this to Uber.
Because I was unsure what to do I emailed uber support and explained to them the situation to cover my ass. I'm still a newb I weighed my options and decided leaving a girl on the side of the rode in the middle of nowhere getting close to dark was not the best option, so I decided to bring her to her destination.

Next time I'll bring the rider back to their pickup location so I don't have to worry about the bullsh!t.

·
Registered
803 Posts
This seems to suggest that ordering a ride for someone else who is not the account holder is never legitimate.
In Uber's eyes it may not be. What happens legally when you get in an accident with the wrong pax. You think Uber will back you up? Pax that ordered the ride could weasel out and say he never ordered it or that you picked up the wrong person. The insurance policy in the waybill lists the person who ordered the ride, nobody else. If Uber wants this to happen they need the rider app to allow them to put in the name of the actual passenger, number of pax would be helpful as well.

There are a ton of problems that having a rider in your car who isn't the one that is in control of the app can bring. I had one personally where a drunk girl ordered the ride for her and 3 friends. We get a block from the bar and one of them says I need to get out and go find my friend. OK, I let her out, the rest of us head to the destination (8 miles away on a 3.6 surge). We get within a 1/4 mile from the destination and suddenly my app says "The rider cancelled" in the middle of a trip, I didn't even know that was possible. Turned out the drunk who ordered the ride was the one that got out. She must have needed a ride so she saw I was close and canceled the ride so she could get another one. I was almost screwed out of like $30 but I reported it to Uber and they corrected it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Not sure if calling the cops on me would've been the best move. The father could have either called me directly or called his daughter first. If no answer, then maybe call the cops. That's what I would have done. Also, I told uber exactly what happened to cover my ass and possibly for some advice. No threat of deactivation from them. I feel leaving her on the curb would've been a poor move as we were in the middle of nowhere and if something would have happened to her I wouldn't want to be blamed. Next time (hopefully there isn't a next time) I'll bring the rider back home. Funny thing, the mother waved us off when I picked the girl up.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I've had a couple of adult children ordering Uber service for their elderly parents so some Uber calls legitimately are for non-account holders.

For example, this morning, a woman called to ask me to wait extra time because her mother walks slowly. The destination was a medical office appointment. The daughter seemed to me to be calling from elsewhere. Everything turned out fine.

Last month, an adult daughter met me at the curb with her 85 year old father and said ride was for him.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've had a couple of adult children ordering Uber service for their elderly parents so some Uber calls legitimately are for non-account holders.

For example, this morning, a woman called to ask me to wait extra time because her mother walks slowly. The destination was a medical office appointment. The daughter seemed to me to be calling from elsewhere. Everything turned out fine.

Last month, an adult daughter met me at the curb with her 85 year old father and said ride was for him.
Helping old people to the doctor, etc. is what Uber Assist is supposed to be for. If they make more than me I'll be damned if I'm doing it as an X.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I posted to address the account holder issue, not the issue of services available. I'm not one to embarrass a person and leave her elderly parent by the curb due to such financial reasons. All I did for these folks was to open the door for them and drive.

However, you have educated me as to that service. I will look into it. Assuming it's available in my city, I might start advising them of that service for next time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts