Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had to renew my vehicle insurance I went to my agent (farmer insurance) while we were talking about coverage he told me if I knew once I turn on the Uber/Lyft app I have no insurance and in order to be covered I had to purchase a supplemental ride sharing insurance and the cost is $700.00 and change per 6 months so I ask him if we need to have this supplemental insurance why Uber is not requiring it he told me Uber has a blanket coverage for his drivers up to one million dollar but that covers the pax and the other vehicle not ours(but he even was not sure about this) my question is if any one knows about this

·
Registered
594 Posts
There were some horror stories here when I joined about a year ago. Hopefully others chime in as there have been a few recent member accidents.

As for the endorsement, and cost of coverage...
I've heard of others getting dropped with the mention of rideshare. $700/6 months is steep for the add on. I switched carriers to one that offered a rideshare endorsement, which is somewhere between $18-23/mo from what I remember. Overall though, it's about $40/mo more than I was paying with my old carrier. For reference, I'm with Mercury and had Geico in the past.

I spent a few days calling around and they were the cheapest for me a year ago. As rideshare continues to gain traction, more carriers will add coverage. Forget about loyalty to an insurance company, shop the rates. $1,400 extra a year on top of whatever you're already paying is ridiculous.

Call around, and be sure to tell them upfront you are calling for a quote on a policy to include rideshare coverage. If they don't offer that, you'll have saved yourself a lot of time. Google it for a list of California rideshare carriers. The list Uber provided and an online list I found weren't accurate or up to date, but it's a start.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Short answer, without arguing circumstances and technicalities, your agent is correct. Shop around. Personally I went with allstate because they had the cheapest price for the most coverage. Farmers quoted me 80 dollars a month more than allstate. This was over a year ago but there were only 4 companies that even offered it in CA at that time and as was mentioned as time goes on more and more companies offer it. Loyalty to an insurance company will only cost you. It's like picking up a 4.1 rated pax because you are "obligated" to. I was with AAA for 15 years but they didn't offer rideshare insurance so bye bye. It's not worth losing house and home because you don't want to pay 20 extra a month, plus if you get decent insurance it's cheaper to go through your own insurance than ubers or God forbid lyft with the rediculous deductible. If I didnt have my own insurance I wouldn't drive for lyft. If you can afford 2500 deductible on the spot then you don't need to drive rideshare.

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
Try State Farm. Good rates if your driving record is decent. Depending on your age, your driving record, your vehicle, $700/6 months is not bad if that amount includes full coverage including the rideshare rider. That's about what I was paying with State Farm and that was with some extras that I had them add. But it being Farmers, I suspect that $700 is just for the rideshare rider only. Their huge increase in the cost of that rideshare rider is why I went to State Farm.

State Farm has treated me real well and their rates were real good for me. I just totaled my car so I'm anticipating a substantial rate increase as I'm getting a replacement vehicle this week. But if your record's good, give them a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts